Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By niighthawk
  • 2 Post By Siah1214
  • 1 Post By drjrdemelo
  • 1 Post By pticriss
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I am using a Ipad 1 case and its stand has the TouchPad speakers up.

This is not an issue until I decide I want to play a game. Almost every game I own orients itself for the speakers facing down. This is quite frustrating as I have to fold my case to flat mode and flip it around to play. Is there a preware patch or some setting that resolves this or do I just have to adapt?

*edit*
    Thread title fail deleted part of my title and didn't realize it....*FACEPALM*

Should read "Why won't games reorient to..."
    at least in enyo (my guess is, this is the same with pdk apps), if you want to have only landscape you have to choose between the two orientations (speaker up or down) and since one of the them is considered standard, this is the logical thing for the developers to do.

if it is a sdk (enyo) app, you can make a patch to turn if upside down, if it is pdk, then this might be difficult
    Last edited by djfun; 08/29/2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: typo
    It could be that because the light sensor is in the corner near the volume buttons, orienting that to the bottom could lead to blocking the sensor while playing a game which could be frustrating to the user.

It also makes it easy to bump the volume buttons, but it would be nice if support for either side was common.

If it's changeable by patch would it be possible to automate it through a utility app, or is that something that requires direct patching?
    Last edited by virion; 08/29/2011 at 10:20 PM.
    I think that the sound is better when the speakers are at the bottom. Your hands sort of cup the speaker area and amplify the sound. Also the standard landscape orientation puts the volume button at the top. When it's at the bottom your hand is much more likely to occasionally bump the volume.
    we really need a patch for this, i thought i was the only one who was annoyed by this, but it drives me nuts.
    same for the full screen movie , we need a way to play or watch a movie with the speaker UP
    loopytee likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by niighthawk View Post
    same for the full screen movie , we need a way to play or watch a movie with the speaker UP
    +1 I completely agree.
    What does this button do?

crappy phones -->treo 600--> 700p--> 755p--> Pre--->Pre- 2.1 F104-----Franken Pre+ 2.1 f105 ---> Franken pre2 2.2.4
    touchpad 16gig uberkernel woop woop!!!
    There are a couple of reasons for this, mostly related to sound. The speakers are stereo, and the orientation doesn't change with the orientation of the screen. So when you turn your touchpad upside down, sound comes out backwards. Also, when the speakers are facing the ground, it vastly improves the sound quality, as the sound waves reflect from the surface. It's how they're meant to be used.

Don't complain about buying an unofficial case for another piece of hardware that doesn't fully support the features of your tablet. Get an official HP case and all of your woes will go away.
    un_designer and jedinat like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    There are a couple of reasons for this, mostly related to sound. The speakers are stereo, and the orientation doesn't change with the orientation of the screen. So when you turn your touchpad upside down, sound comes out backwards. Also, when the speakers are facing the ground, it vastly improves the sound quality, as the sound waves reflect from the surface. It's how they're meant to be used.

Don't complain about buying an unofficial case for another piece of hardware that doesn't fully support the features of your tablet. Get an official HP case and all of your woes will go away.
    They could reverse the channels in software depending on the orientation of the device. I have the official case and prefer to have the flap hanging from the back as opposed to folded up from the bottom.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post

I have the official case and it sucks....I also was annoyed by this issue before I ever had a case.

Before you hurl accusations about a persons purchase decisions and patch motives perhaps try building some rapport with them.

I actually prefer the sound with the speakers up as it directs the sound towards my ears.

I didn't realize movie mode did the same thing...how frustrating.
    Forcing a certain orientation is a stupid design element IMO.
    I have the official case and while I can see the benefit of having apps like AngryBirds of KalemPlayer only face one way for sound purposes, I prefer to hold the case with the speakers in the up position. I feel like that way I put less wear and tear on the case. Either way it would be great to have a patch for this.
    Herk_FE likes this.
    I just found out about this post so I will tell you what I said in an other post....

I just tried two games of the same kind :

SOLITAIRE by 'Softtick LTD' and SOLITAIRE by 'Minego'

The SOLITAIRE by 'Minego' stay at the right position, Speaker up and the headphone input on the upper right side when I orient the Touchpad in this position, yeah !!!

So it looks like it's not a problem from the Touchpad itself but the way Games are initialise by the Touchpad. If this Homebrew works great it probably mean that this problem could be resolve throuht a game software update...
    Quote Originally Posted by herk_fe View Post
    I have the official case and it sucks....I also was annoyed by this issue before I ever had a case.

Before you hurl accusations about a persons purchase decisions and patch motives perhaps try building some rapport with them.

I actually prefer the sound with the speakers up as it directs the sound towards my ears.

I didn't realize movie mode did the same thing...how frustrating.
    Forcing a certain orientation is a stupid design element IMO.
    Any case actually designed for the Touchpad (and not just a cheap knock off iPad 1 cast off, which most of the cases on Amazon are) will orient itself to match the speakers.
    It's like complaining because your Honda Civic won't go off roading. It's just not designed to.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I have a targus zierra case not some cheap knockoff. Quit talking out of your rear end and either post something constructive or ignore this thread.

no manufacturer currently make a portfolio case for the touchpad. I wanted a portfolio case that stays closed and has a place for some business cards rewards mileage cards as well as a place to keep a pen. You are making lofty assumptions with 0 information to support them.
    I don't know how you folks are holding your TouchPad while gaming, but if I held it with the speakers pointed up, I'd constantly be turning it off because I hold it by the sides towards the bottom...right where the power button is located in landscape mode.
    Everyone in this thread is talking only about the speakers sound, did anyone of you tried to play a landscape game like Angry bird, Need for Speed, whit Headphones.... I think there's a real problem whit the location where Hp decide to put the Headphone source.

The first time I tried it I was like ... Ok cool I can plug Headphone... wait... where I will put my left hand now !!! Ok Above the damn Headphone Jacks !!!

hummm Sorry Bad design Hp !!!!

For me it's the only reason I would like to see a patch coming out for this problem.
    Herk_FE likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pticriss View Post
    Everyone in this thread is talking only about the speakers sound, did anyone of you tried to play a landscape game like Angry bird, Need for Speed, whit Headphones.... I think there's a real problem whit the location where Hp decide to put the Headphone source.

The first time I tried it I was like ... Ok cool I can plug Headphone... wait... where I will put my left hand now !!! Ok Above the damn Headphone Jacks !!!

hummm Sorry Bad design Hp !!!!

For me it's the only reason I would like to see a patch coming out for this problem.
    I agree, I don't think it has to do with the user being an ***** or necessarily with HP's design failure either. It's really up to preference which way you hold it and I see both the benefit of having the speakers project with the stand is being used and the headphone jack NOT be in the way when trying to rest it in your lap. I'll put up a patch request in the other forum and hopefully something will come of it .
    Last edited by drjrdemelo; 08/30/2011 at 02:35 PM.