Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    support@aldiko.zendesk.com

Dear Sirs,

As you might know, there has been a flood of HP Touchpads sold in the last two weeks. A major void in the WebOS lineup is a program such as yours which allows the reading of epub books borrowed from libraries.

I have your paid version on my Android devices and am curious if your staff plans to port a version compatible with WebOS.

Thank you in advance for your consideration of this issue.

This program allows the reading of DRM protected epub books borrowed from local libraries. If interested, please send them an email.
    Keep this going if you are interested. Do they have a twitter account by chance? I can't check at the moment but I will be sending an email, I have a similar thread going for a nook app.
  3.    #3  
    They do have a twitter account listed on their website.

It looks like they did not have plans for a WebOS version but are possibly reconsidering. Lots of hedging in their response to me:

Thanks for your email and thanks for supporting us.

Currently, we don't have an immediate plan to port the Aldiko Book Reader app to Web OS yet. When we have such a plan in the future, we will let you know. Thanks.

The more email they receive the more likely they could change their minds. Please contact them.
    They sent me the exact same email back. If enough people ask they will probably consider it.
    We already have an app that reads ePub format & will be supporting B&N ePub DRM and mobi DRM shortly. It's called pReader and the thread for it is here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...a-release.html

pReader will not be supporting Adobe Digital Editions ePub DRM any time soon since it is not open & hasn't been reverse engineered.
    I'm also looking for an e-reader that can handle DRM, specifically library epub files. Aldiko comes up as a good reader in numerous reviews, but no one is supporting the library epub files with DRM. Please consider an update!
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    We already have an app that reads ePub format & will be supporting B&N ePub DRM and mobi DRM shortly. It's called pReader and the thread for it is here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...a-release.html

pReader will not be supporting Adobe Digital Editions ePub DRM any time soon since it is not open & hasn't been reverse engineered.
    I have pReader on my touchpad, and while it is nice, Aldiko is a lot nicer. Books load a lot faster, you have a bookshelf which displays the covers of your books, it runs smoother, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post
    I have pReader on my touchpad, and while it is nice, Aldiko is a lot nicer. Books load a lot faster, you have a bookshelf which displays the covers of your books, it runs smoother, etc.
    Have you tried pReader native at the thread I pointed to? It's much faster than the non-native version in the catalog. The version in the thread is also newer than the preware version.
  9.    #9  
    Having played with the Native version in Preware, I now feel that the book preference mods allowed with pReader make it a first class reader software. The biggest problem remaining is that you can't read library books with ADE.

The only other mod I'm waiting for is the ability to modify margins.

The version in the store lacks many of the mods provided in Preware, so make sure to use the right version.
    Aldiko is much more polished and nicer ebook reader than preader in my opinion.

The ability to easily adjust text size (without going into the menus), margins (can't do it at all in preader) and most importantly: Brightness (just slide your finger up and down the left side of the screen to adjust) make aldiko a fantastic reader.

preader is great though and I use the autoscroll feature everytime I'm reading while feeding my new baby.

I'd love to see aldiko on the touchpad. Sending email to developers now.
    Quote Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
    Having played with the Native version in Preware, I now feel that the book preference mods allowed with pReader make it a first class reader software. The biggest problem remaining is that you can't read library books with ADE.

The only other mod I'm waiting for is the ability to modify margins.

The version in the store lacks many of the mods provided in Preware, so make sure to use the right version.
    That's definitely right - if you are going to use pReader, you definitely what to keep up with the latest version at the thread http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html and not the non-native version in the catalog. The version in preware is also usually older.

About ADE - since it's not an open format and hasn't been reverse engineered, it's going to be a while, if ever, before pReader supports it. The DRM format pReader supports now is eReader (files with a .pdb extension). Mobi DRM and B&N ePub DRM is coming soon.

Margins changing is high on jappus' list. Some users have had some success with setting margins in Calibre and they carry over. See the thread for discussion on that.

I'm not going to claim pReader is the greatest reader out there, but its multi-format support is good. Also, it's not a bad app with only one developer doing all the coding in his copious "free" time as a student and now as a new Intel employee We've got a great little community over at the thread always willing to help & trying to make it better. We'd love to see you there
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Great start buddy...maybe you should add in the link that bring them directly to the...Developer site,so,they know how to port their apps...just make their job become more convenient.
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Great start buddy...maybe you should add in the link that bring them directly to the...Developer site,so,they know how to port their apps...just make their job become more convenient.
    i wrote them as well.
    --
    Rudra
    follow me on twitter - twitter.com/rudra_banerji
    hi Govotsos - you are such a big fan of pReader and that's awesome - but pReader is great (scaling, etc) for the pre but the full screen looks terrible without margins or any of the now standard features of most eReaders (nook, kindle, ipad) such as tap on right margin to move forward, tap left to move back , etc..

Aldiko's app does these things plus it hooks into the Adobe DRM. I'd buy both if i had the chance.

I applaud Jappus and the pReader testers - it's the only option. But it's so bare bones that I can't justify saying it's any good.

sorry.
    --
    Rudra
    follow me on twitter - twitter.com/rudra_banerji
    Margins? I use an eReader to read books so as long as I can read the text I'm happy. You can tap anywhere in the bottom half of the screen in Preader to go forward a page and anywhere in the top half to back, a much better idea than confining yourself to the edges especially if you have a case fitted.

Thank the supreme waga waga for Preaders supporting pdb books too, I thought I'd lost all mine for ever when my last palm pilot died.
    I'm all for ALL the available ebook readers. There should be more than just 1 or 2. You should be able to choose which suits you the best and not just the one that is the only one that works for now.

This is a squeaky wheel that needs to be greased.

Here, I found a page:

http://web.me.com/rkerris/RichardKer...erris.com.html
    Last edited by allowingtoo; 09/08/2011 at 07:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    not sold on preader....there needs to be a moon conversion to the web os...preader just isn't very user friendly.
    The version of pReader in the App Catalog and pReader native ARE currently just scaled up phone apps & some rough edges are apparent because some interface options (like back swipe) aren't on the TouchPad so what's in pReader native right now is sort of a hack just so you can use it fullscreen.

A full Enyo rewrite of the user interface is under way, so soon it will be a "real" TouchPad app. The beauty of the native app is that when the Enyo rewrite is done, it's just a simple bolt-on since the PDK forces developers to create their own UI the "front end" and "back end" of pReader are two separate bits of code.

I don't really understand why people are saying that pReader native is not user friendly. It's more configurable / customizable than most apps, every feature is accessible from one place (the menu), if you're a button pushing kind of person, turn on the tool bar, etc.

What exactly isn't user friendly about pReader native? pReader is still under development, so, no, not all features are complete. Instead of people just throwing out that's it's not user friendly, how about some details? What EXACTLY is the problem? If something about it sucks, or is confusing, or can't be figured out, go to the appropriate place (the official pReader native support thread) and speak up.

If people are just going to whine because pReader isn't Aldiko, that doesn't help anybody. pReader ISN'T Aldiko and wont be. But without specific issues, nothing can be addressed and nothing will change. Participate in the process or go use Android like you clearly want to.

The appropriate place for help or participation in the pReader native project is here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    If people are just going to whine because pReader isn't Aldiko, that doesn't help anybody. pReader ISN'T Aldiko and wont be. But without specific issues, nothing can be addressed and nothing will change. Participate in the process or go use Android like you clearly want to.
    I think that was uncalled for. YOU are the one shoving pReader in a thread discussing Aldiko. There's room for more than just one Ebook reader! Do you have just one computer? I bet you don't.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast