Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes
    instead of lobbying a developer to port an app so that you can access DRM crippled books, you should lobby your library to stop supporting such a horrible idea.
    USRobotics Palm Pilot -> Palm 3e -> Treo 180 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Palm Pre
    I know personally I've never said I wanted pReader to be Aldiko. I'd like to have the option of both, so users like you who prefer pReader can keep it, while someone like me can have my bookshelf. I applaud the developer of pReader. I couldn't code for epub.
    At the same time, its not right for you to continually push that option in every thread about ereaders and then get upset when others disagree with you. Let others decide what they like. As with my case, its not pReader.
    zappcatt likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
    I think that was uncalled for. YOU are the one shoving pReader in a thread discussing Aldiko. There's room for more than just one Ebook reader! Do you have just one computer? I bet you don't.
    Nope, I really don't care what eReader people use. What I don't like is unsubstantiated bashing. Aldiko is a great app - I use it on my Android devices as well as eReader from eReader.com. Comparison of apps is fine, just say WHY you think X is an issue or problem or that X is something you wish an app did (maybe like another app). I don't know if I'm so much pushing pReader as saying "no, what you're claiming is incorrect, this is what pReader actually does. If you want to see for yourself, here's where you go to get it & talk about it. Hope to see you there."

I admit my post was a bit of a knee jerk response on my part and I apologize if I came off too strongly. I just got frustrated by hearing nothing but (essentially) pReader sucks & Aldiko is great with no reason to support either argument. IMO neither is perfect, but they are among the best of what's available on the two platforms. Neither app will do what you want unless you take your issues, questions, or wishes to the place where they will be heard by the developer. And, in case you're wondering, I'm not the developer, just a user, of pReader.
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowbugle View Post
    I know personally I've never said I wanted pReader to be Aldiko. I'd like to have the option of both, so users like you who prefer pReader can keep it, while someone like me can have my bookshelf. I applaud the developer of pReader. I couldn't code for epub.
    At the same time, its not right for you to continually push that option in every thread about ereaders and then get upset when others disagree with you. Let others decide what they like. As with my case, its not pReader.
    I don't care if people disagree, I DO care if they won't say WHY they disagree. I don't think I've ever said Aldiko is a bad or worse app. I _think_ all I've said is that the representation of pReader is incorrect, shown how it is incorrect, and invited you to the pReader thread where we'd love to have you and your input.

My post last night might seem to have a arrogant or overly strong conclusion, but, really, if someone is unwilling to say specifically what is wrong and specifically what they would like to see, maybe they WOULD be happier on a platform that supports what they seem to be saying they want.

It's just like voting. If you don't participate in the process, you can't gripe about the result. In this circumstance, the process is to present specific wishes, gripes, issues, etc in a place where they will be effective. Note, specifics and appropriate venue are important.

I will continue to reply to incorrect assumptions. I always want to know why someone feels the way they do about something and will ask "why do you feel that way".
    I think I'm just speechless.
    Quote Originally Posted by errhead View Post
    instead of lobbying a developer to port an app so that you can access DRM crippled books, you should lobby your library to stop supporting such a horrible idea.
    How else would they enforce the time-limited checkout of ebooks? DRM is necessary so that libraries can make deals with ebook publishers so they can repeatedly check out the "same" book to people. If there were no DRM on libraries' ebook checkouts, then no publisher would want to do business with them because then people could just checkout books and keep them forever.

DRM on books you buy is a horrible system, and shame on Amazon and BN both for supporting that, but DRM on library ebooks is necessary, or else we would have no library ebooks at all. When it's a choice between DRM'd ebooks for free or no ebooks at all, I'll go with the DRM'd ebooks any day of the week.
    zappcatt likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12