Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ilm
  • 1 Post By Hobbz
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Ok, I jumped on the band wagon and ended up with a 32GB Tpad last Friday. I upgraded it with all the helpful tips on this forum and it is pretty fast now. I intended to use it as a business tool but after messing with it for 3 days I find myself thinking, "what am I going to do with this thing?

I have an old HP IPAQ 210 which is a hand held device that runs Windows Mobile, has a VGA screen, runs Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook etc, plays movies, has bluetooth, WiFi and a voice recorder. It has a "notes" feature that accepts handwritten notes using a stylus AND it syncs with my computer using Activesync, including Outlook. It has a SD and CF slot as well. Very very handy. I thought, great, I'll get a Touchpad to do a lot of the same PLUS have a big screen and a more modern interface and access to more apps.

WRONG- "What am I going to do with this thing"??? You can only open Office documents, no editing or creating, you can't sync with Outlook on my computers, I can't scribble out notes which to me is a very handy tool, there is no additional storage capabilities. I do not find this to be a very handy tool at all. I am very open to any discussions about business productivity capabilities and apps.

Your thoughts on my disappointment rant?
  2. ilm
    Return it or sell it at cost to someone else here if you don't like it - better than it collecting dust in a week at your place.

On a side note it's your money but why did you get one if you don't like the features?

I realize this sounds probably more confrontational than I actually feel so apologies if I come off as an ***. I've just seen tons of threads here of people disappointed they didn't get one (some of them webOS devs) and can't help but think your post isn't likely to be very well received so soon...
    screwu2man likes this.
    U can always sell it to me or many others here who are still looking for one.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    or me. I love webOS...can't fid a firesale TP anywhere
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toddreg View Post
    Ok, I jumped on the band wagon and ended up with a 32GB Tpad last Friday. I upgraded it with all the helpful tips on this forum and it is pretty fast now. I intended to use it as a business tool but after messing with it for 3 days I find myself thinking, "what am I going to do with this thing?

I have an old HP IPAQ 210 which is a hand held device that runs Windows Mobile, has a VGA screen, runs Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook etc, plays movies, has bluetooth, WiFi and a voice recorder. It has a "notes" feature that accepts handwritten notes using a stylus AND it syncs with my computer using Activesync, including Outlook. It has a SD and CF slot as well. Very very handy. I thought, great, I'll get a Touchpad to do a lot of the same PLUS have a big screen and a more modern interface and access to more apps.

WRONG- "What am I going to do with this thing"??? You can only open Office documents, no editing or creating, you can't sync with Outlook on my computers, I can't scribble out notes which to me is a very handy tool, there is no additional storage capabilities. I do not find this to be a very handy tool at all. I am very open to any discussions about business productivity capabilities and apps.

Your thoughts on my disappointment rant?
    Office (Word/Excel) editing should come early this week, it was in QA testing all of last week.

Outlook should sync fine, is there some special setup or settings you're using at work that are hindering things? Have you checked the forums to see if anyone else is having a similar problem or has a fix?

While not ideal there are some art type apps that you could use to scribble notes. No handwriting recognition just yet. But I agree that would be very helpful.

While there aren't any physical storage expansion options there are virtual ones. Box.net gives you 50gb free as a TouchPad owner, dropbox, zumo, pogoplug and some others exist. I believe there's also a patch for connecting to network shares.
    Hi toddreg, and welcome to the PreCentral forums!

The document editing issue is supposedly due to be fixed with in the week with an update from QuickOffice that will enable editing. Hang in there.. it's a fantastic tool. Down the line, if you want to sell it you can always put it in our Marketplace forum and it will get snatched up quickly.
    Some ideas

-Use it in the bathroom to kill time

-Set it on your coffee table so when you are watching TV and you ask yourself, "I wonder what that is/means/costs etc." you can look it up on the internet right away.

-Stream internet radio from it from anywhere in the house

-Use VNC to connect to your computer remotely and do your work

-Use Google Docs (free) or Office 365 (free in hotmail) for word processing and spreadsheets.

-Find a cat soundboard, turn up the volume, and freak out the neighborhood cats
    VNC ??? ... you mean VPN .. because im waiting for a VNC APPS all my office is in VNC server.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    hang it round your neck with a copy your receipt and show the world you were one of the lucky who got the deal of 2011?
    nhavar answered pretty well above. You should be able to find lots of cool things to do with the TP. I was skeptical and not interested in a tablet until the fire sale, but now I get it.

As far as Outlook, though, I've been using CompanionLink with my Palm Pre (minus) since soon after launch. It's the best thing since sliced bread etc.

My Outlook syncs with Google gmail and calendar via CompanionLink automatically. And my Pre, of course, syncs with Google. Never have to plug in the USB cable, so it's better than Activesync for me (I used to use it for my older smartphones such as Treos and Touchpro).

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vanhanz View Post
    Some ideas

-Use it in the bathroom to kill time

-Set it on your coffee table so when you are watching TV and you ask yourself, "I wonder what that is/means/costs etc." you can look it up on the internet right away.

-Stream internet radio from it from anywhere in the house

-Use VNC to connect to your computer remotely and do your work

-Use Google Docs (free) or Office 365 (free in hotmail) for word processing and spreadsheets.

-Find a cat soundboard, turn up the volume, and freak out the neighborhood cats

bingo on the streaming. i use it with pandora and my google music. the beats audio speakers are awesome on this tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by niighthawk View Post
    VNC ??? ... you mean VPN .. because im waiting for a VNC APPS all my office is in VNC server.
    I meant VNC, I just noticed the VNC APP isn't optimized for the touchpad yet, I thought it was.
    Damn .. so we need some Dev on this app to be ported on Touchpad User too....
    what the name of your Vnc App ?
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    hang it round your neck with a copy your receipt and show the world you were one of the lucky who got the deal of 2011?
    Or Photoshop Flavor Flav wearing a TouchPad with the clock app on it.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    The document editing issue is supposedly due to be fixed with in the week with an update from QuickOffice that will enable editing. Hang in there.. it's a fantastic tool. Down the line, if you want to sell it you can always put it in our Marketplace forum and it will get snatched up quickly.
    Imagine that - Quickoffice update released today which enables editing.

Newman is right. I considered it a luxury until it proved itself to be anything more useful when I bought mine in July. I find myself using my laptop much less now. I actually moved it from the living room back into the office.

I'm hoping the webOS environment continues to improve so the talented and creative Developers continue to deliver for us. Setting aside apps for the moment, webOS does deliver some valuable features I haven't been able to see in other systems.

Here's the worst-case scenario for me. I have a tablet with an OS I like and will keep my TPad until it's led a long, full life. Regardless of what's on the market at that time, I have no regrets about my first tablet.
    War Eagle!
    Sukiyaki likes this.