Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By carlbeech
  • 3 Post By PrinceAlbert
  1.    #1  
    Hi

I was really pleased to see the give-aways announced earlier this week, but then soon disappointed that it was only available in America... Saying that, the item did say there were going to be other give-aways ho-hum I thought...
    Then I saw what looked like a nice game to try - glyder - hmmm 'this application is not available in your country...
    I've had the 'not available in your country' a few times now, and its getting a little annoying...

Sorry that my first post is a bit of a downer - but I can't understand why there should be these artificial boundaries in place.. I'm sad to say it makes us non-Americans feel like second class (world) citizens...

Is it me or do others feel the same (I've seen a number of posts where people have said on the lines of 'I can't wait until xxx is available in thy'

I hope that they (HP and app developers) start to get their app store act together soon as they're missing out on a lot of app sales I would think...

All the best...
    Carl
    (New Zealand)
    det66 and Chrusse like this.
    Carl, as an American, I agree. Its the internet, who cares what country one my be from.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Get used to it. We've been trying to teach Palm/HP geography for the past 2 years, but they just can't grasp the world does NOT end at the US border...
    all your apps are belong to US.

sorry, had to be done!

yeah, geo-restrictions suck. Search forums for "geo restriction" for some help.
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlbeech View Post
    Hi

I was really pleased to see the give-aways announced earlier this week, but then soon disappointed that it was only available in America... Saying that, the item did say there were going to be other give-aways ho-hum I thought...
    Then I saw what looked like a nice game to try - glyder - hmmm 'this application is not available in your country...
    I've had the 'not available in your country' a few times now, and its getting a little annoying...

Sorry that my first post is a bit of a downer - but I can't understand why there should be these artificial boundaries in place.. I'm sad to say it makes us non-Americans feel like second class (world) citizens...

Is it me or do others feel the same (I've seen a number of posts where people have said on the lines of 'I can't wait until xxx is available in thy'

I hope that they (HP and app developers) start to get their app store act together soon as they're missing out on a lot of app sales I would think...

All the best...
    Carl
    (New Zealand)
    I feel your pain Carl. I just moved to the US from England and hated running into that. There are a lot of videos on the web with geo restrictions too! We can thank the US media for that!
    Hey, you should have paid apps now or very very soon as per blog and twitter by head Palm development guy recently.

HP webOS Developer Blog
    I hope such restrictions can be reduced fast. I am embarrassed that I am able to get most things webOS before the rest of the world (although not the Pre3...good on ya Europe!). It isn't fair (I know, life's not fair) and I would like to see the whole world have access to all the apps. You know, I've seen apps that are intended for use in other countries that are available in the US...so let's let apps download everywhere! I think they aren't available on Mars or Venus yet either, so if you are a man on Venus, or a woman on Mars...you are really up a creek without a paddle app.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Hey, you should have paid apps now or very very soon as per blog and twitter by head Palm development guy recently.

HP webOS Developer Blog
    even if a country gets paid apps support you don't see every app, ie: need for speed hot pursuit, kindle/more only work for america.
    Have someone in New Zealand buy webOS from HP and then make the Americans wait.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

€dith: Sorry @mod. Thx for deleting the doublepost. My internet effed up
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 08/29/2011 at 12:54 PM.
    Carl, in order to purchase an app in the US store, just install impostah and purchase a US visa prepaid card linked to a US based address : more info here http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...country-2.html

I am an American living in France so I have to use impostah to purchase in the US store but I have a US credit card so easier for me. I have the best of both worlds hahaha.

I will try to score a Pre 3 hopefully at firesale price in a few weeks here in France but it is restricted to one item per household... its gonna be crazy.

Good luck
    And they just released the second set of freeby codes
    as an American - I say get over it and just get on over to the greatest country on earth - despite what Washington is doing.

Just kidding - sucks for you though.
    I know that there's always issues with "digital rights", not sure why. .
  15.    #15  
    Didn't know about impostah...

As an alternative, coming from an Android background - does anyone know of a way of installing apps, that doesn't go through the HP appstore? (yes I know about preware)... - I'm thinking along the lines of 'download xxx file' copy to touchpad, execute some program to move it into final place.... etc?
    webos quickinstall does that, and prepared can install downloaded ipk files.
    geo restrictions go both ways..the other day I tried to watch a game streamed by fifa.com but come to find out us Americans don't enjoy that luxury. Luckily for me I have flash on my touchpad and was able to stream it via alternative sources.