Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GodShapedHole
  1.    #1  
    I know it's still in beta development, but I find using HP Play to be an ordeal every time I pop it open. The program is sluggish (I have a desktop running an i5 and 6gb DDR-3 ram), it takes forever to cache my library (which right now is only ~115 gb between the two connected hard drives), and it often doubles up the same song on my Touchpad, clogging up my TP's capacity.

I like using Play because it seems to sync up with my iTunes library perfectly and it CAN transfer over all my playlists and tagged songs properly, but like I said, it's simply to big of a hassle for me to bother with it any longer. What program do you all prefer to use to get your music onto your TP?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I was wondering about Play. Thanks for the review. I simply dropped a few songs into my TIP.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I have had no problem just dropping mp3s into the music folder, but I'd love an iTunes-esque program to manage my TP's collection. Just read up about DoubleTwist... gonna see how that works.
    Hmm, I didn't have problems with the Mac version and yes Doubletwist rocks. Sorli...
    my experience with HP Play didnt go well either. Downloaded it onto my MBPro and imported my iTunes library successfully (although it only claims to sync music to the touchpad). It takes about an thirty minutes to an hour to sync my ~12 gig/1750 song library and then after the complete sync it only shows the extra folder on the device with all my playlists but NONE of the music files. ***
    so i selected all of my music files in the iTunes Music folder and copied them into the folder HP Play created and what do u know all of my playlists now worked as well.

Used to have DoubleTwist on my captivate and IT WAS AMAZING didn't know it works for the touchpad as well? shall try it soon
    I am wondering if play will even be around after all this blows over.
    Agreed, HP Play is terrible software. I use sailing media sync for my Mac and iTunes and it works great for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by RYAB View Post
    I know it's still in beta development, but I find using HP Play to be an ordeal every time I pop it open. The program is sluggish (I have a desktop running an i5 and 6gb DDR-3 ram), it takes forever to cache my library (which right now is only ~115 gb between the two connected hard drives), and it often doubles up the same song on my Touchpad, clogging up my TP's capacity.

I like using Play because it seems to sync up with my iTunes library perfectly and it CAN transfer over all my playlists and tagged songs properly, but like I said, it's simply to big of a hassle for me to bother with it any longer. What program do you all prefer to use to get your music onto your TP?
    My library is only 15 GB and HP play works fine for me. Maybe your slow performance is due to your "two connected drives" and the speed of their connection to your computer. Just a thought.
  9.    #9  
    the first drive is my internal eSATA drive and the second is another SATA drive connected to the motherboard's USB port. Regardless, Doubletwist works like a charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by RYAB View Post
    I know it's still in beta development, but I find using HP Play to be an ordeal every time I pop it open. The program is sluggish (I have a desktop running an i5 and 6gb DDR-3 ram), it takes forever to cache my library (which right now is only ~115 gb between the two connected hard drives)
    I've never used HP Play - and don't think I will even when I get my TouchPad - because I'm one of those unteachable old-school geezers who doesn't see any problem or inconvenience in just copying stuff from my harddrive to a connected device that is displayed as a removable drive in the explorer *BUT* everything in that quote is EXACTLY my experience with iTunes (which I've been forced to use because I've had an iPod for years which hasn't seen much use since I bought my Pre). Maybe sluggishness is just what comes with the territory of having "syncing" programs that don't do anything CTRL-C / CTRL-V couldn't do.
    mivoligo likes this.
    HP Play always manages to mess up compilations and album art work for me, it really isn't that good. I haven't tried manually putting the music in the music folder, does anyone know how album art work is found in that type of situation? I'm OCD about having a clean and organized library with full art work.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frighten View Post
    HP Play always manages to mess up compilations and album art work for me, it really isn't that good. I haven't tried manually putting the music in the music folder, does anyone know how album art work is found in that type of situation? I'm OCD about having a clean and organized library with full art work.
    I just drag and drop all of my music files and all of my art work shows up. All of my songs have embedded art by using a program called mp3tag.
    doubletwist seems to be very good.

While I'm not that familiar with HP Play, I'd say it sounds like they're parsing the files incorrectly. 115GB will take a while to go through on any system, depending on how it's being done.
    Global Posts
    2,152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I've never used HP Play - and don't think I will even when I get my TouchPad - because I'm one of those unteachable old-school geezers who doesn't see any problem or inconvenience in just copying stuff from my harddrive to a connected device that is displayed as a removable drive in the explorer *BUT* everything in that quote is EXACTLY my experience with iTunes (which I've been forced to use because I've had an iPod for years which hasn't seen much use since I bought my Pre). Maybe sluggishness is just what comes with the territory of having "syncing" programs that don't do anything CTRL-C / CTRL-V couldn't do.
    come to the light, switch to Zune HD!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Does Doubletwist sync easily with webOS? Agreed I have been underwhelmed with hp play. It is good enough, I guess, but I assume it is not a priority going forward.

Yes, it is easy enough to just do it with windows. But also a pain to keep straight of what is where if you want the same playlist on multiple devices and change/add to it.
    Read my HP Play review here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...y-awesome.html

I ran into the duplicate song problem as well.

This morning I came up with a solution (not elegant, but it works).

Instead of syncing MULTIPLE playlists, sync ONE master playlist that contains all the music you want to put on it.

I just literally removed all my music, and all my playlists from my TP, all 20gb of it, then went back to sync my *master* playlist, and the songs that were needed from that playlist were still in the touchpad memory (even though the space was listed as 20+gb free, they did NOT need to be transferred again), and all my duplicates were removed in addition to extra music I was able to transfer over.

That's the longest run-on sentence in history, but it gets the point across.

From there I suppose you can slowly check more playlists and then check to make sure those specific playlists do not add dupes to the pad. I would be very careful with this however, remember still beta software.

All in all I'm impressed with it. It doesn't suck, it's just not very mature yet. It works. It's the best software to transfer your music to your pad. And in all honesty, it's miles better than any other native software I have ever used to sync with, sans iTunes / iPod combination.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

HP Play is complete and utter garbage. I'm using a MacBook Pro with OSX Lion. First of all, it LAAAAAAGS! But worst of all, it doesn't sync my music properly, and I only have 6GB worth.......

doubleTwist on the other hand syncs with iTunes perfectly and even more importantly, syncs with my TouchPad quickly and efficiently.
    I've installed HP Play, but I've not had the time to play around with it. I use Doubletwist, but it's kinda slow on my old clunker pc where I keep my music. It works well enough though. I might try Play in the coming weeks!
    So far hp play was the only one that actually read my phone and synced for the most part

Painfully slow transfering mp3's 1300 takes almost 2 hours, that's 10 gigs of music. It should only take 1 second a song

but its a good start if they continue development with Webos.
    Last edited by Greg Mair; 02/28/2012 at 11:21 AM.