Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I really liked the Amazon MP3 app on the pre but its missing on the TP. But the thought just crossed my mind that if I knew what I was doing I could pull the Amazon App out of my pre and repackage the ipkg, then install it on my TP. Does this make sense? Anyone know how to do this or know where I can find some instructions?

I haven't tried to download directly from the website yet either, so I suppose that might work as well. ??
    racingfreak92 likes this.
    Seems like it could work. It looks like you cant download the app from their site, it only comes on the phone. If you could upload the app so other users could download and tinker with it that can speed up the process.

EDIT: See my post on page 2, http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3117921
    Last edited by racingfreak92; 08/30/2011 at 01:48 PM.
  3.    #3  
    I don't know how to extract the package from the phone.

Also, it was only about a month ago that we were talking about some fancy Amazon integration with webOS, I wonder where this will go now?
    Amazon Cloud Player app bound for HP TouchPad? | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    Do you have internalz installed on your phone?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by racingfreak92 View Post
    Do you have internalz installed on your phone?
    yup. go oooooon.
    Go into /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications, thats where the apps are stored. Copy the whole folder into a accessible part of the drive, such as media/internal/downloads, then connect the phone to your PC and use USB mode to take the folder off, zip it, and upload it.

Btw I only have a Touchpad so those are the directories for that device, not sure if the Pre saves in different areas. Im sure somewhere on here you can find where apps are stored for the Pre.

Usually the app folder names are something like "com.<app developer>.<app name>" (for example "com.aol.engadget" for the Engadget app).
    7digital is pretty good and it seems as if they let you download the songs again if something happens, unlike amazon. but amazon has a bigger library.
  8.    #8  
    Go into /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications, thats where the apps are stored. Copy the whole folder into a accessible part of the drive, such as media/internal/downloads, then connect the phone to your PC and use USB mode to take the folder off, zip it, and upload it.

Btw I only have a Touchpad so those are the directories for that device, not sure if the Pre saves in different areas. Im sure somewhere on here you can find where apps are stored for the Pre.

Usually the app folder names are something like "com.<app developer>.<app name>" (for example "com.aol.engadget" for the Engadget app).
    There is nothing in there with any indication that its from Amazon.

I see lots of other fun stuff... but not that.

<shrug>
    It can be done, I have had Amazon Mp3 on my TP since day 1.

That being said It will only preview songs but NOT DOWNLOAD them, pretty useless.

At one time it was rumored that Amazon was working on a new MP3 app with Cloud Drive access and the ability to download previously purchased music but now who knows
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by carr76013 View Post

That being said It will only preview songs but NOT DOWNLOAD them, pretty useless.

At one time it was rumored that Amazon was working on a new MP3 app with Cloud Drive access and the ability to download previously purchased music but now who knows
    Good to know. Thanks for saving me the time investment only to be disappointed in the outcome. Hopefully they come up with something ... would love to see it.

And also thanks for the comments about 7digital.
    Quote Originally Posted by carr76013 View Post

Going along the lines of Cloud Player, you can go to Amazon.com and use the Cloud Player for Web through the TouchPad's browser
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    You might want to do some searching through old messages, as this same discussion took place when the pre2 came out. The files needed are no problem, look in a doctor image from the original pre+ on at&t. Its how to install and make it work. BTDT.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
  13.    #13  
    I prefer audacity.

but if an album I want is readily available on amazon it is to my advantage and to the artists whose work I want to support to buy it. it is to my advantage because it saves me an hours worth of farting around on my computer for only about $10. well worth it in my opinion. I also listen to many oddball artists that aren't on amazon, but if it a modern artist they will almost always have a website where I can purchase the songs. however, if I want to find some 80 year old song that isn't available anywhere then I can see the value in what you are suggesting.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    so far the spotify solution has done pretty good for me... $10 a month. if you can't afford that, then you probably shouldn't have headphones...
    Quote Originally Posted by jbearamus View Post
    Going along the lines of Cloud Player, you can go to Amazon.com and use the Cloud Player for Web through the TouchPad's browser
    indeed you can play from cloud player, but you can't download from it.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    You can't purchase unless you also install the amazonservice, you also have to root install both ipk's. Search back in the pre2 forum from last December or January and you will find complete instructions.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    What's all this stressing about amazon on touchpad. Just use 7digital or buy from amazon with the phone and transfer it to the touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    You can't purchase unless you also install the amazonservice, you also have to root install both ipk's. Search back in the pre2 forum from last December or January and you will find complete instructions.
    are you talking about this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...step-step.html ?
    Although I like Amazon MP3, I find Grooveshark to be the best option. You can use it in browser or there's an app(unfortunately non touchpad oriented). The advantage of using the brower version is it's all completely free, you don't have to have grooveshark anywhere.
    are you talking about this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...step-step.html ?
    worked for me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast