Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By OpenTrackRacer
  • 1 Post By iboost79
  • 1 Post By jblather
  1.    #1  
    I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything...

I loaded some large format PDF documents on my TouchPad. I'm unable to zoom to anything even approaching 100% which renders the documents useless. I exported one as a JPG and tried the same thing through the picture viewer with the same lack of success.

Is this just another stupefying limitation of the TouchPad or is it UE?

Thanks!
    eafalk likes this.
    Same here. The PDFs reader on the TP just sucks.
    On my pc I can zoom to 500% and see every single letter with razor sharp definition.
    On my TP the more you zoom the more you see blur, and this is useless.

The same happens with PDFs from scanned books and with "true" PDFs (with selectable words).
    here's an example.
    ImageShack Album - 2 images
    one picture is from the adobe reader in webOS. it is at max zoom level. words are blurry.
    the other picture is from a pdf reader inside ubuntu on the touchpad. words are bigger, better detailed, and it's also much faster.

this is a tablet, and it's supposed to be good for reading
    I wonder what HP had in mind.

(btw, I don't care if it's adobe or quickoffice developing and not HP. it's HP's responsibility, it's their product, not adobe's)

everybody says that for 99$ it's a good deal. of course it is. the point is that regardless of the price point, these things should work.
    I mean, I can run effing ubuntu on this thing and it works perfectly, but hey I can't read pdfs. lawl. I love the TP but this makes me angry
    A proper .PDF reader is the only thing missing on this tablet for me. I am glad to hear that there is a solution via ubuntu. I may bite the bullet and metadoctor my touchpad just to gain this functionality. I had talked myself out doing this since we got the doc editing update.
    Does anyone have any concrete info on whether or not there are any third party .PDF readers in the works for webos? The adobe offering on android sucks just as hard as it does here but at least I have options on my viewsonic gtab. I would kill to have ezpdf reader ported to webOS. It is the best scaling reader I have used on any platform.
    Maybe we should hit up the developer for some love....

edit... Just dropped them a line via email. If any of the youngsters want to tweet them (I understand this is the more effective way to get things done these days) feel free. This app truly is amazing and worth the effort. I for one, would pay a premium for it.
    Last edited by crutzulee; 09/01/2011 at 10:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer View Post
    I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything...

I loaded some large format PDF documents on my TouchPad. I'm unable to zoom to anything even approaching 100% which renders the documents useless. I exported one as a JPG and tried the same thing through the picture viewer with the same lack of success.

Is this just another stupefying limitation of the TouchPad or is it UE?

Thanks!
    The built-in PDF reader is limited. If there is a developer out there willing to create a quality reader with both zoom, search, bookmarks, vertical/horizontal view, and remembering last page, then I would be willing throw down money for it.
    HP Touchpad 16GB
    eafalk likes this.
    Yes, I'm coming across the same limitation. I need to download PDF maps to the TouchPad and I find that I cannot zoom in.

This Adobe Reader has but one level of zoom and that makes this reader useless for all but the simplest of documents. This is because it's a simpleton utility. Why did they cripple it?
    This is a very annoying bug and has been reported on this (and other forums) several times.

I think everyone should report this bug to HP / Palm and Adobe as well, to bring a little more attention to this issue.

To write to HP / Palm use this link: Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

To report a bug / request a feature to Adobe, use this link (make sure you refer to the HP Touchpad and webOS in your description): https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform...?name=wishform

Regards,
    Alphajoe
    I submitted feature requests/bug reports to both HP and Adobe.
    eafalk likes this.
    I confirm this issue as well- makes it very hard to read a train schedule...
    pdf rendering is so poor, the character is foggy