Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello everyone! I'm a new owner of a touchpad due to the firesale and I am really impressed with the touchpad and webOS. Just got done doing the updates and preware. Loving it.

However, I am very disappointed that there is not even a word program or even a half-decent PDF reader/editor. The Adobe Reader that came with it can't even open a single PDF file that I download from the internet. Please tell me there is going to be a 3rd party PDF reader that will kick ****. I wanted to use the touchpad for school PDFs and Powerpoints. Sucks
    Quickoffice is supposed to add document editing next week.

open your PDF files in quick office and see if that helps.

and make sure you are updated to 3.0.2
    I've had no problems opening any .PDF files with Adobe reader. Not sure what your issue might be. What errors are you getting?

Just my 2 cents, I wouldn't want to use a tablet to edit .PDF files...
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClad View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm a new owner of a touchpad due to the firesale and I am really impressed with the touchpad and webOS. Just got done doing the updates and preware. Loving it.

However, I am very disappointed that there is not even a word program or even a half-decent PDF reader/editor. The Adobe Reader that came with it can't even open a single PDF file that I download from the internet. Please tell me there is going to be a 3rd party PDF reader that will kick ****. I wanted to use the touchpad for school PDFs and Powerpoints. Sucks
    I loaded on a lot of PDFs and its reading all of them

Hmm may be something wrong with your reader?

Did you update the tablet software, every tablet bought needs the update it improves it a lot

Also Quick docs reads word

soon we will have a full version to edit too

I agree with you on the Docs

pReader is free and reads AMazon, Nook and ePub files as well

What apple app lets you edit and write PDFs for free?
    I just downloaded a PDF and it opened fine.
    For Word, there is open office which will get editing update next week.
    There is also preader and typewriter beta. Check out the tutorial for someone new to the Touchpad.

If you don't like any of these choices, look into installing ubuntu which also has a tutorial thread, I just annotated a PDF with a program called xournal.
    PDF files open fine for me, text and (cough) photos.
    Adobe reader does suck imo. There's no bookmarking feature! That is not acceptable. I read a lot of technical computer books. If I close Adobe reader app, it starts back at Page 1 *sigh*. I'm hoping RepliGO reader makes it's way to WebOS.
  8.    #8  
    I did the update. What do you guys mean by quickoffice? I click the PDF link on my email, the quickoffice thing opens but it automatically tries to open in Adobe reader. And I get an error every time. Yes Did the update AND preware etc.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by napmaster View Post
    Adobe reader does suck imo. There's no bookmarking feature! That is not acceptable. I read a lot of technical computer books. If I close Adobe reader app, it starts back at Page 1 *sigh*. I'm hoping RepliGO reader makes it's way to WebOS.
    this
  10.    #10  
    Oh how do I load PDFs onto the tablet with a physical connection to the PC? i.e. I have the PDF document saved on my computer and want to transfer it to the touchpad instead of downloading it through the touchpad.

What software and apps will I need?
    If you open a PDF in the PDF reader, and in Quickoffice, you may notice they look *awfully similar*. Opening a PDF in QO just opens an Adobe Reader window, and it references QuickOffice in the 'About' dialog.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClad View Post
    Oh how do I load PDFs onto the tablet with a physical connection to the PC? i.e. I have the PDF document saved on my computer and want to transfer it to the touchpad instead of downloading it through the touchpad.

What software and apps will I need?
    None connect it to the computer USB
    Put it into usb mode and I made a file folder on the touch pad I called PDF1

then I put my PDFs in it, then eject the touch pad from the computer and open adobe it should find the PDFs
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    None connect it to the computer USB
    Put it into usb mode and I made a file folder on the touch pad I called PDF1

then I put my PDFs in it, then eject the touch pad from the computer and open adobe it should find the PDFs
    Ok I will try this. Hopefully it works.
    The only site I have had a real problem is BlackBoard. on the BB site, I cannot read or open some of the imbedded documents and pdfs. I know it's probably something more than just BB, but the same files are viewable on my iPad and PC. this is for "School" and I am disappointed that I can't see them because I was planning to just take my TP to classes. Now I have to lug my laptop and or ipad too.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    The only site I have had a real problem is BlackBoard. on the BB site, I cannot read or open some of the imbedded documents and pdfs. I know it's probably something more than just BB, but the same files are viewable on my iPad and PC. this is for "School" and I am disappointed that I can't see them because I was planning to just take my TP to classes. Now I have to lug my laptop and or ipad too.
    I have the same issue with Desire2Learn. I have to download the documents to my desktop and then load them into box.net to open on my Touchpad.
    TBQH, preader is a piece of junk.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I usually just use my computer to download whatever pdf file I need and transfer it to the TouchPad. I was able to upload my pdf documents via the usb cable and access it through Quickoffice. When you connect the tablet via USB, the tablet goes into flashdrive mode. From there you can copy and paste your pdf files into the main folder.

I also updated to 3.0.2. Not sure if that is a requirement in order to get it going. I upgraded when I first got it. Hope this helps you out
    I was also quite underwhelmed by the PDF performance of HP Touchpad's Adobe PDF reader.
    There is, however a way to make it at least useable.

Painstakingly separate your PDF's into separate smaller PDF files by chapter. I did this in Apple Preview by hitting file print, then specifying 'From Page ___ to ___' and instead of printing, choosing the 'save as PDF option'.

Then, using Preware, on the HP Touchpad, I downloaded Internalz Pro and File Manager. I now use Internalz Pro to access the individual PDF files that I have designated for each chapter of the books. It took a little time to set up, but it is the quickest way I have found to navigate the PDFs on the HP Touchpad. Feel free to ask any questions about the process.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan0991 View Post
    TBQH, preader is a piece of junk.
    I would like to disagree with the above comment.

alan
    The PDF reader on my TP works but is unusable.

It's slow (VERY slow) and can't zoom enough to have large, readable text.
    I thought I was going to read PDFs on my TP but I'm stuck to my PC.

This is disappointing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast