webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Bible recommendation please
Bible recommendation please
Like Tree11Likes

Old 08/28/2011, 09:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
know of any coupon codes for the NLT on laridian?
Not right now... but if you register with them as a user, you get the emails automatically every month, sometimes twice a month, they have some sort of a promotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddreg View Post
Are there any free NLT versions available anywhere to use with the Bible readers?
The only free NLT I am aware of is through You Version. It requires an internet connection though. There may be an inexpensive one on Kindle.
frankos72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2011, 10:03 PM   #22 (permalink)

got it

only thing i dont like so far vs. simple bible free is the buttons. i like how they were gray and simple in sbf....in sbp the orange and loading the pictures for buttons is kinda weird now

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
65fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2011, 10:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
BTW, we have a working version of our Touchpad version of Simple Bible Free. We are cleaning up a few things before we release it.
Will there be a TouchPad version of Simple Bible Pro as well? I don't want to purchase Simple Bible Pro now and then the TouchPad version is released.
Old 08/28/2011, 10:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
Will there be a TouchPad version of Simple Bible Pro as well? I don't want to purchase Simple Bible Pro now and then the TouchPad version is released.
Please see Post #18
Old 08/28/2011, 11:43 PM   #25 (permalink)

Frankos, I understand everything from post 18. A question I have is, since I bought simple bible pro, will I be required to pay tor the touchpad version later. Btw love the interface. I have pocketbible on my iPad from Laridian directly and while obviously it has many more features than SBP, it doesn't scroll. Love your app for that.

For the OP, pay special attention to he advice here. You won't own your touchpad forever. You won't even own a touchpad 2. Heck when he folks at android central figure out how to put android on the TP you might not even use webOS anymore. Therefore make an investment in something that will last. Laridian will still have your purchased versions 20 years from now on the cerebral implant we will all have as the current greatest and best.
Flagatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 12:17 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagatorfan View Post
Frankos, I understand everything from post 18. A question I have is, since I bought simple bible pro, will I be required to pay tor the touchpad version later.
Quote:
this is still up for debate.
To be more clear, we just haven't made the decision yet.

There are two hurdles to cross when making this decision.
1. It will likely take 4-6 months of every spare second we have to get it ready for release. That's a lot of time to give away.

2. In order to release it as the same .ipk for no additional charge, then we basically have to wait until every feature that is present in the phone version is complete. Otherwise we could force someone into a GUI upgrade that comes with a features downgrade. I don't think that would go over to well.

#2 is the exact reason that the Simple Bible Free for the Touchpad I'm about to submit is not going to be in the same .ipk as the current Simple Bible Free. It doesn't have search, random, or day/night contrast yet and I don't want to take those things away from people that use them now.
Old 08/29/2011, 09:54 AM   #27 (permalink)

promo code to current owners fixes some of that

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
65fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 11:05 AM   #28 (permalink)

I would be willing to support an app like Simple Bible Pro on the TP (if it met my needs), but I'm not going to pay $20+ to download the ESV when I already have the ESV available to me via several iOS apps. The TP is my first (and probably will be my only) tablet. My church has wi-fi, so I can just go to YouVersion.com and read it there for free.

I really do hope that app developers will continue to support webOS and to especially make TP versions of their apps available. I have been using my TP for about 5 days now and I really like it a lot!
NealJ777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 11:27 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
but I'm not going to pay $20+ to download the ESV when I already have the ESV available to me via several iOS apps.
If one of those iOS apps that you already own ESV on is PocketBible then you don't have to buy it again. Check this list to make sure that your version of the ESV is on there. If so, then you only need to download SBP, login with your Laridian user/password and then download the ESV. Simple!

PocketBible is a Laridian Product. All of our Bibles come from Laridian. If you own a Bible in any other Laridian Product (Pocket Bible, myBible or Noah) then you can use that same Bible with Simple Bible. The exception to this rule will be Bibles that have come packaged with concordance, strongs or commentaries. We don't yet support those, but once we do, then those Bibles we then be usable in SBPro.
Old 08/29/2011, 10:10 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepx2 View Post
I'm totally hoping they make a tablet version of the "You Version". I love that on my phone.
http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3106289
Dazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2011, 12:33 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapost View Post
Simple Bible Pro is very nice and they appear to be commited to WebOS development. YouVersion has a nice app for the Pre, but not for the TP and from what I have seen, they don't seem to be interested in any further WebOS development because nothing new from them since the initial app.
Have you contacted the YouVersion developers? Because I have.
Mr. Orange 645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Dazo, Phenoum and NealJ777 like this.
Old 08/30/2011, 01:46 PM   #32 (permalink)

I've also contacted youversion dev's. Anyone know of a way to bypass the mobile displayed version of their site in the browser? I'd rather use the full web version but cant figure out how to force it not to redirect to m.youversion.com? Prefer that interface for now - using their reading plans every morning.
Phenoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2011, 05:17 PM   #33 (permalink)

its still in beta, i think ,but yes, its free, and he's already updated it once, now allowing notes to be added.
I have the bibleZ for my pre and I use it @ church. I really like it, esp because you can download misc commentaries etc as well as actual bible translations.

a minor quibble, I've asked him about it but its not been implemented yet; I really would like to be able to view notes sorted by alphabetical or date or soemthing; as it is it only sorts by location in bible -- i.e. if you took a note about a verse in genesis, psalms and revelation, thats the order you'll see the notes listed; but if a sermon in january was the one that had genesis and revelation and a sermon in june that had psalms, I want to be able to see the genesis and revlation notes next to each other because they came from the same sermon...

still, overall I really like bibleZ and recommend it, esp now as its beta and free
bdb777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2011, 05:52 PM   #34 (permalink)

I have SBP on my Pre+ and it's very nice. It's the only one I know of that has autoscroll. Love the scroll!

I easily uploaded/downloaded my old My Bible paraphrase of The Message that I bought to use on my old HandERA 330, then my Tapwave Zodiac (see the trend, I only buy the best hardware that is destined to fade away due to lack of support!). I recommend SBP and hope their TouchPad version grows and blossoms for everyone who gets it on their TP.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 06:27 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
I easily uploaded/downloaded my old My Bible paraphrase of The Message that I bought to use on my old HandERA 330, then my Tapwave Zodiac (see the trend, I only buy the best hardware that is destined to fade away due to lack of support!). I recommend SBP and hope their TouchPad version grows and blossoms for everyone who gets it on their TP.
Im also looking for an offline reader and so far, it all disappointments (iSilo is not the same as on Palm OS and it really taxes/crashes the Pre3). Your post got me thinking... I still have the myBible notes and books on an old Tungsten. Can they be used w/ SB or SBP? Would either one read the old PDB databases?

Thx!
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2012, 01:00 AM   #36 (permalink)

there is another bible app that is available for free that works nicely on the touchpad. It is is called Gospel Library. It was created and maintained by volunteers (I am one of them) but managed and submitted by the LDS church. It only includes the King James version and also includes some other LDS scriptures, but it is all offline, and includes some nice scripture marking tools, and easy navigation.
boydell is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: p41m3r
Old 02/08/2012, 10:33 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
If one of those iOS apps that you already own ESV on is PocketBible then you don't have to buy it again. Check this list to make sure that your version of the ESV is on there. If so, then you only need to download SBP, login with your Laridian user/password and then download the ESV. Simple!

PocketBible is a Laridian Product. All of our Bibles come from Laridian. If you own a Bible in any other Laridian Product (Pocket Bible, myBible or Noah) then you can use that same Bible with Simple Bible. The exception to this rule will be Bibles that have come packaged with concordance, strongs or commentaries. We don't yet support those, but once we do, then those Bibles we then be usable in SBPro.
Hi,

I own some Laridian bibles from back in the days of owning Palm PDAs. Most recently, I am a new HP Touchpad user.

I submitted an email to info@bitsofgodsoftware.com yesterday to find out the status of Simple Bible Pro (SBP) w/ reference release that is mentioned on Laridian's site. I was hoping it would be released soon as I have Laridian's KJV with Strong number and dictionaries. It does not show up in SBP and I would like to have this for bible class.

I received a reply that stated, "As of current, we are not actively developing for webOS. This means no new features are planned anymore."

Is it possible for you to elaborate on this further? Does this mean that all WebOS development has halted? OR does it mean the project timelines for various releases has been pushed out into the distant future? Is there a beta version for the bibles with reference works that has not been released yet, but could be?

I'm just trying to get an understanding as to where things stand with SBP. I want to know whether or not I have to find another way to get my study bible even if I have purchase it & a reader again from someone else. Thanks.
vt236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2012, 02:41 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt236 View Post
Hi,

I own some Laridian bibles from back in the days of owning Palm PDAs. Most recently, I am a new HP Touchpad user.

I submitted an email to info@bitsofgodsoftware.com yesterday to find out the status of Simple Bible Pro (SBP) w/ reference release that is mentioned on Laridian's site. I was hoping it would be released soon as I have Laridian's KJV with Strong number and dictionaries. It does not show up in SBP and I would like to have this for bible class.

I received a reply that stated, "As of current, we are not actively developing for webOS. This means no new features are planned anymore."

Is it possible for you to elaborate on this further? Does this mean that all WebOS development has halted? OR does it mean the project timelines for various releases has been pushed out into the distant future? Is there a beta version for the bibles with reference works that has not been released yet, but could be?

I'm just trying to get an understanding as to where things stand with SBP. I want to know whether or not I have to find another way to get my study bible even if I have purchase it & a reader again from someone else. Thanks.
Have you tried BibleZ for webOS | zefanjas.de ?
The maintainer, Stephan, is active and the bible software is quite well thought-out.
Paulscarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2013, 09:06 PM   #39 (permalink)

I second BibleZ HD. It's a very nice app and several bibles are available for free. They are downloaded to your device, so off-line reading is available. I have the ASV and NETFree versions installed. I also have Simple Bible Free, which is good, but forces Portrait reading, when I tend to use my TouchPad in landscape. I haven't used Simple Bible Pro, so I can't comment on it.

BibleZ also allows a choice of backgrounds, and has bookmarking and notes by tapping on the verse numbers.
falconrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2013, 11:20 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt236 View Post
Hi,

As far as I know the web site that supported SBP is no longer functioning so that means that if you have to doctor or delete SBP for some reason you can't get that program back. I liked the program and had downloaded 5 Bible versions from Laridian. I recieved a new 4G TP and couldn't get it back on.
I have also installed CM9 and Laridian has an Android Bible program where the Bible versions I purchased through SBP were available for free (in other words I didn't lose what I paid for those versions). I still like SBP in WebOS as a format for their search and bookmark features but I have access again.
HD Bible and BibleZ HD have similar formats and you can download one version at a time. If you have an internet connection readily available, Bible (YouVersion) is a good choice.
marknyack is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0