Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. lar3ry's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by niighthawk View Post
    preader native ( preware ) is full of bug ..
    Yes, but the other one has bugs too... just different ones. I have both, and use the one that works for whatever book I am reading.
  2. #22  
    Thanks, lar3ry. I just went online w my library and downloaded a book but got the mime error. How do I open them? I have preader and internalz downloaded.
  3. #23  
    The developer is actively squashing bugs. There is a newer version of pReader in the thread for the app. Questions & bug reports should be posted in that thread. The latest version is posted on SourceForge at the link in the first post.

    The pReader native thread is here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...a-release.html
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by tjbarney View Post
    Thanks, lar3ry. I just went online w my library and downloaded a book but got the mime error. How do I open them? I have preader and internalz downloaded.
    If your library lends books that use Adobe Digital Editions DRM, pReader does not, and probably never will, support that flavor of DRM. The developer of pReader has already said that since it is not open or reverse engineered by anyone, he's got no way of supporting it. Currently, the only DRM method supported is eReader. eReader files have a .pdb extension & are available at eReader.com, Fictionwise.com, and BN.com (have to be downloaded on a real or spoofed Mac to get .pdb version). Support is coming for mobi DRM and B&N ePub DRM.
  5. #25  
    Well darn, my library does the adobe digital, I guess there is no way to get them on the touchpad then?
  6. #26  
    Right now, and for the foreseeable future, not using pReader. Supposedly Amazon is working on a library lending system using Kindle, but I've got no idea if it will ever be implemented on the TouchPad Kindle app.
  7. lar3ry's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by tjbarney View Post
    Thanks, lar3ry. I just went online w my library and downloaded a book but got the mime error. How do I open them? I have preader and internalz downloaded.
    Well, you need Adobe Digital Editions in order to read the book. It knows about Adobe DRM, and when you download a book, you need to have Adobe Digital Editions handle the DRM. Unfortunately, I can't really see a way to use Digital Editions to accept the Touchpad as a reader, as it does the Kobo (or any other dedicated reader). All is not lost, however, because we have Calibre, and some plugins.

    At this point in the explanation, I have a bit of a problem, because I don't support, and do not want to seem to support, piracy of intellectual property. Let me just suggest that you take a good look, via Google, at Calibre and Calibre Plugins.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by tjbarney View Post
    Thanks Jophiel! Anywhere with newer books? I'm looking for books like Janet Evanovich, J.A Konrath, and the new 'the help' book. I like books with mystery, comedy, romance, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
    At this point in the explanation, I have a bit of a problem, because I don't support, and do not want to seem to support, piracy of intellectual property.
    The Kindle app remains an option...
  9. lar3ry's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
    The Kindle app remains an option...
    It doesn't for me, primarily because my local library does not provide knindle's format.
  10. andyghost's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by niighthawk View Post
    preader native ( preware ) is full of bug ..
    I do see it works for me, and much much faster! besides, it's called alpha, right? bugs are acceptable.
  11. #31  
    There is an App on Android and iOS called Overdrive which allows you to read books from your library (my buddy with an iPad just clicks on the book and the app does the rest), I have wrote to the company to see if they will pulish and app for webOS, might help if more people requested it.
  12. #32  
    I've had a lot of success using a program called sigil. I downloaded books that are open domain, such as HG Wells, and had to convert them to make them work in p reader (Kindle wouldnt recognize them for some reason. Sigil lets you search for certain symbols, letters or words, and replace them. Those symbols you are seeing were at one time commas, quotation marks or apostrophes. You can open the book in an ereader app on your computer, and open it at the same time in sigil, find out what symbols etc is causing that, copy, go to sigil and paste it into replace. Then tell it what to replace it with, takes maybe a couple of seconds.
  13. lar3ry's Avatar
    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by HD865 View Post
    I've had a lot of success using a program called sigil.
    I'll second that! It's a great tool for fixing up things that are the result of conversions between formats in Calibre. I also use it for making ebooks that I can place on my Kobo or Touchpad. Anything can be put into epub form with Sigil... phone lists, reference material, indexes.. pretty much any text file, doc file, and so on.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by niighthawk View Post
    preader native ( preware ) is full of bug ..
    Do you have the latest version of pReader native? The latest version is always linked in the first post of the official pReader thread & is usually a newer version than what is available through preware. Just click on the link to Sourceforge & install. That is also the reccomended place to post questions about pReader since that's the only place the developer looks.

    The official thread is here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by HD865 View Post
    I've had a lot of success using a program called sigil. I downloaded books that are open domain, such as HG Wells, and had to convert them to make them work in p reader (Kindle wouldnt recognize them for some reason. Sigil lets you search for certain symbols, letters or words, and replace them. Those symbols you are seeing were at one time commas, quotation marks or apostrophes. You can open the book in an ereader app on your computer, and open it at the same time in sigil, find out what symbols etc is causing that, copy, go to sigil and paste it into replace. Then tell it what to replace it with, takes maybe a couple of seconds.
    If the book is in a format readable by pReader, you shouldn't need to use any tool like Sigil or Calibre. Usually, the reason you see "garbage" characters is because you have the wrong encoding selected for the book. To change the encoding of an already imported book, open the book, pull down the pReader menu, select Change Encoding & change it to the correct encoding. Usually what you want to set it to for English books is either UTF-8, CP-1259, or ASCII in that order.

    So you don't have to do this for future imports, you can change the default encoding. Usually UTF-8 is the best choice. To change the default, go to the main (library) screen of pReader, pull down the menu, select Preferences, open the Text Display section and set the default encoding appropriately.

    If you have any other questions or issues, please post in the official pReader thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by hey1steve1 View Post
    There is an App on Android and iOS called Overdrive which allows you to read books from your library (my buddy with an iPad just clicks on the book and the app does the rest), I have wrote to the company to see if they will pulish and app for webOS, might help if more people requested it.
    It's not so much the Overdrive that's the issue. The issue is that Overdrive books are published using Adobe Digital Editions DRM in the ePub format. The problem is that format is not open & hasn't been reverse engineered so a developer would need a (expensive) license from Adobe. This format is used mainly because of ADE's book expiring feature. What's needed is a reader that supports ADE DRM & that's not likely to come to pReader.

    The best way to get this is to do what you're doing - petition developers. To get some help with this, create a new thread in the TouchPad Apps forum about petitioning a developer for a webOS app. Put contact info in the first post & update it with progress. This way you can get other Precentral members involved & better show the developer the level of interest & demand for their product. A separate thread provides a central place for progress & it's easier to get other members involved with a thread called "lets get app X developed".
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    If the book is in a format readable by pReader, you shouldn't need to use any tool like Sigil or Calibre. Usually, the reason you see "garbage" characters is because you have the wrong encoding selected for the book. To change the encoding of an already imported book, open the book, pull down the pReader menu, select Change Encoding & change it to the correct encoding. Usually what you want to set it to for English books is either UTF-8, CP-1259, or ASCII in that order.

    So you don't have to do this for future imports, you can change the default encoding. Usually UTF-8 is the best choice. To change the default, go to the main (library) screen of pReader, pull down the menu, select Preferences, open the Text Display section and set the default encoding appropriately.

    If you have any other questions or issues, please post in the official pReader thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...a-release.html
    I've tried changine encoding, it only works half the time. I still get the same issues with commas, apostrophes and quotation marks showing up as random strings of characters. Tried it in both versions of preader
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by HD865 View Post
    I've tried changine encoding, it only works half the time. I still get the same issues with commas, apostrophes and quotation marks showing up as random strings of characters. Tried it in both versions of preader
    Can you post a sample of a file you're having problems with & I'll see if I can figure out what's going on. If the file isn't too large, you can just attach it to your post here. You might have to zip it because of file size restraints for some file types here - the limits for zips is much more generous.
  19. #39  
    thanks for the help on the encoding guys, ran into the same problem-glad to see it was an easy fix!
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by olin View Post
    thanks for the help on the encoding guys, ran into the same problem-glad to see it was an easy fix!
    Glad you got it to work. If you have any other questions / issues, please visit the official support thread. We'd love to see you!

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-homebrew-apps/274511-preader-native-alpha-release.html
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions