Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    Check this out - this is directly from the Netflix website:

The Netflix API allows anyone to build their own Netflix-integrated applications for the web, the desktop, mobile devices or the TV. We do so by providing a range of API methods and data, which we hope will improve the way Netflix customers discover, watch, rate and discuss movies and TV shows.

Why are we doing this?
    We want to delight our subscribers. We are always looking for new ways to improve the service but with a small team we can't do it all. We made these API methods available to the developer community to:

Find new ways for our subscribers to enjoy movies whether or not they're looking at our site.
    Encourage innovation, especially around movie choosing and watching.
    Get Started Now

Netflix API - Welcome to the Netflix Developer Network

Is this new, or has it always been there?
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Rumors were/are that Netflix is dumping Silverlight this year. Going to HTML5. They probably won't be as persnickity about what devices can watch.

Microsoft is even moving away from sliverlight and going toward HTML5 - They are even taking a page from WebOS and recommending programs be tailored with WebTech instead of traditional dev environments.

Persnickity = Hulu
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I think it's funny that as I read this thread talking about no Netflix capability on the touchpad that there is a Netflix banner ad across the top of the screen right now.
    Titan078 likes this.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    Check this out - this is directly from the Netflix website:

The Netflix API allows anyone to build their own Netflix-integrated applications for the web, the desktop, mobile devices or the TV. We do so by providing a range of API methods and data, which we hope will improve the way Netflix customers discover, watch, rate and discuss movies and TV shows.

Why are we doing this?
    We want to delight our subscribers. We are always looking for new ways to improve the service but with a small team we can't do it all. We made these API methods available to the developer community to:

Find new ways for our subscribers to enjoy movies whether or not they're looking at our site.
    Encourage innovation, especially around movie choosing and watching.
    Get Started Now

Netflix API - Welcome to the Netflix Developer Network

Is this new, or has it always been there?
    Always been there, its what MyQ uses. Doesn't support streaming.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    I saw some download an Android app on their Evo3D and started to watch Netflix! You mean to tell me that Android uses Silverlight? There's gotta be a way!
    Quote Originally Posted by marinjim View Post
    Just spoke to Netflix and the rep advised that it is HP that must develop the app for the TP and that Netflix engineers would work with them. He went as far to say they would be happy to put Netflix on toasters but the mfg. has to develop and support the app.
    think we can convince Homebrew to write the app? What type of development costs are we talking here?
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    "I saw some download an Android app on their Evo3D and started to watch Netflix! "

That would be the Netflix app. Written by Netflix...

Unless they decide to write an app for WebOS. No.
    Quote Originally Posted by serverfull View Post
    Porting the Netflix app would be easy for Netflix but impossible for anyone here.

No one here has the source code for anything of the Netflix applications or plugins and will never. It isn't as easy as downloaded the android app and click click it works. It requires you to take the source (which you don't have) and port it to WebOS which we can't do with out the source. Also there is going to be a series of encryption keys that allow this applciations to work..which are going to be impossible to reverse engineer. Overall your looking at impossible unless there is official support.

Also with Mono on linux it doesn't support DRM so it doesn't work with netflix in a official or unofficial way. It doesn't have to code to allow it to run netflix streams.

Since ChromeOS now has a plugin they could be a chance Netflix makes us one (we are going to be a larger user base from all I can see). The plugin only works in ChromeOS though so don't suggest making it work..because the linux community haven't been able to do in in Chome or Chromium...

Sorry but what this conversation is about is not possible..spend your time and write netflix a nice letter or post on there wall...that would be a better use of time if you want netflix to come to WebOS.
    I've seen Netflix run on Android. If they can do it, so can we.
    Quote Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
    I've seen Netflix run on Android. If they can do it, so can we.
    Netflix wrote both the IOS and Android apps. Roku and others worked with netflix to write an app for there boxes. You have seen in run on Android because Netflix did it...
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    "I saw some download an Android app on their Evo3D and started to watch Netflix! "

That would be the Netflix app. Written by Netflix...

Unless they decide to write an app for WebOS. No.
    and to port that app would too much of a chore for them? Thought HP said it would be easy to port apps from others?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    This thread won't die will it?

The only way currently to get Netflix streaming is for Netflix to do an app. Period. End of discussion.

Perhaps Netflix will do a HTML5/Flash version of their website, and then it may work.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Hopefully when we get a remote desktop app we can get Netflix to play nicely
    Will have to stick to PlayOn for the moment until (we hope) netflix comes along. Hulu with commercials and amazon VOD is a pretty good middle ground for me at the moment.
    capt4chris likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Option 4: Get the Chrome extension for Netflix in HTML5 ported to WebOS since it is linux based.
    option 5: Wii emu for webos
    Here's how to get Netflix on your TouchPad.

1. Go here: How to install Android / CyanogenMod on HP TouchPad | Review Horizon

2. Follow all instructions to install Android/webOS dual boot.

3. Download Netflix app for Android.

4. Boot into Android instead of webOS when you want to watch Netflix.

5. Enjoy.

Even the alpha install of Cyanogenmod runs the Netflix app with no problems. I've been enjoying it for a few weeks now. It's 30 seconds to boot over from webOS to Android and you don't have to stream from another computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    Here's how to get Netflix on your TouchPad.

1. Go here: How to install Android / CyanogenMod on HP TouchPad | Review Horizon

2. Follow all instructions to install Android/webOS dual boot.

3. Download Netflix app for Android.

4. Boot into Android instead of webOS when you want to watch Netflix.

5. Enjoy.

Even the alpha install of Cyanogenmod runs the Netflix app with no problems. I've been enjoying it for a few weeks now. It's 30 seconds to boot over from webOS to Android and you don't have to stream from another computer.
    How much space is the cyanogenmod release taking up on your device? I only have a 16gb but I love to play with dual boots so I may dump it on soon.. i'll wait for another update to hit though, with the current power drain issue I doubt watching long movies would be fun at this point. I've been streaming tv and recorded stuff from my PC w/ splashtop recently.. works great but I fear out on the road the actual netflix app would prove more useful then going remote to my pc via internet.. all assuming they don't wake up and port a version to webos.
    Last edited by stumblinh; 11/13/2011 at 10:25 PM.
    There won't be a port to webOS. CM7's your best option outside of using Splashtop.
    Setting up a touchpad for a friend who has netflix.

Which is better when someone is on the road?
    playon
    or
    splashtop?

Is playon also allowing you to stream from your pc similar to splashtop or is it
    streaming from a playon server?
    I streamed netflix a bit via explanation and wasn't too impressed with the image quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    How much space is the cyanogenmod release taking up on your device? I only have a 16gb but I love to play with dual boots so I may dump it on soon.. i'll wait for another update to hit though, with the current power drain issue I doubt watching long movies would be fun at this point. I've been streaming tv and recorded stuff from my PC w/ splashtop recently.. works great but I fear out on the road the actual netflix app would prove more useful then going remote to my pc via internet.. all assuming they don't wake up and port a version to webos.
    Roughly 2GB for CM. I don't really have many battery drain issues since the second alpha release. About the worst I have is some app incompatibility (to be expected in an alpha) and the Sleep of Death (in which the screen going to sleep sometimes locks it up forcing a reboot , not too big a deal, reboot only takes like 20 seconds.).

As CM moves into beta and beyond I don't know why anyone WOULDN'T throw in on their TouchPad. It's not like you have ot give up webOS in order to install. And works perfectly for those instances in which there's no good webOS solution for certain apps. Best of both worlds.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast