Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Netflix doesn't specify which specific DRM to use --- just that DRM has to be certified by netflix labs. Google spent $150 million to buy a DRM company (widevine). Apple has their own DRM solution. Microsoft has PlayReady baked into Silverlight. RIM's cryptographic subsidiary, Certicom, wrote XM Satellite Radio's DRM.

Theoretically HP can take the DRM module out of the TouchPad's HP Movie rental app, write an netflix app around it and take it to netflix for certification. Of course, that DRM module isn't written by HP itself, so HP needs to pay licensing fee for that.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    I think the most plausible scenario is getting silverlight working by either:
    1) When microsoft releases a fully support linux version
    and for the ARM cpu! Silverlight for linux on x86 wouldn't do any good.

2) Installing virtual box under ubuntu chroot (if even possible?) and then windows XP within that to install silverlight
    I don't think virtualbox emulates CPUs, and ARM emulating x86 would be too slow anyway. You would need windows for ARM architecture, maybe with windows 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by jabramson View Post
    thanks for the link
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbz View Post
    and for the ARM cpu! Silverlight for linux on x86 wouldn't do any good.
    Since Windows 8 runs on ARM, I'd have to think that an ARM version is on the way regardless. Good point, though. Also keep in mind that silverlight is the main development platform for WP7, so an ARM optimized Silverlight already exists... just not for linux.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbz View Post
    I don't think virtualbox emulates CPUs, and ARM emulating x86 would be too slow anyway. You would need windows for ARM architecture, maybe with windows 8.
    True... if it did exist; it would definitely be too slow.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Three ways to fix it: 1)Get Netflix to make a official app 2) Port android or iOS app 3) get silverlight for webOS browser.
    why isn't there a silverlight for webOS? Not enough users?
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Silverlight is barely available for Windows Mobile 7.1.
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Silverlight is barely available for Windows Mobile 7.1.
    But is that just because there so many iOS devices?
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by picassokat View Post
    But is that just because there so many iOS devices?
    What has iOS got to do with anything?

Microsoft doesn't even make an effort to actually put silverlight into their own products. And that's even before Microsoft changed their strategy by moving away from silverlight.
    What is net-filx?
    netflix.com
    Will this work or has anyone tried? I see people have Ubuntu chroot installed onto the TP and having it run Firefox. Will NETFLIX then be able to fun on that Firefox? Hrmmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by torifile View Post
    What video codec does the Netflix app use on the iOS devices? It's certainly not Silverlight. If we can figure that out, there may be some way to spoof it.
    When they started using Silverlight, it was VC-1. Lately, though, encoding appears to have changed to H.264. The latter is definitely supported and given VC-1 is also a Blu-ray codec, there's a good chance it's also supported by the Qualcomm chip. Silverlight handles the DRM, though, and that's really the problem.
    theomodsim likes this.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I read this earlier today. Really disappointed... but that's how many people feel about Netflix these days. Price hikes accompanied by pulling the plug on Starz content, plus this lack of support for the Touchpad.
    Netflix sux. Old movies on streaming. Junk plus the hike. It was a cool novelty but I bow have direct tv with hbo and I get far more use out if it. Especially with the to go app on other devices.

sent from my thunderbolt
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The dish/cable companies are increasing their fees as well all the time, funny that.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kravenz View Post
    Will this work or has anyone tried? I see people have Ubuntu chroot installed onto the TP and having it run Firefox. Will NETFLIX then be able to fun on that Firefox? Hrmmm...
    Won't work.
    Just spoke to Netflix and the rep advised that it is HP that must develop the app for the TP and that Netflix engineers would work with them. He went as far to say they would be happy to put Netflix on toasters but the mfg. has to develop and support the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by detection View Post
    I read this earlier today. Really disappointed... but that's how many people feel about Netflix these days. Price hikes accompanied by pulling the plug on Starz content, plus this lack of support for the Touchpad.
    Yeah with the price increase I officially cancelled my account of 5 years 2 days ago.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    mnuttall87 likes this.
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinjim View Post
    Just spoke to Netflix and the rep advised that it is HP that must develop the app for the TP and that Netflix engineers would work with them. He went as far to say they would be happy to put Netflix on toasters but the mfg. has to develop and support the app.
    Hmmm... time to get on HP's ***!
    HP Touchpad 16GB - webOS 3.0.4 - UberKernel
    Palm Pre (Sprint) - webOS 1.4.5 - UberKernel retired
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast