Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    Speaking of Netflix, why does the TP browser get redirected to the Wii home site?

movies.netflix.com/WiiHome
    Hey, someone should get the iPad Netflix APP and port it. I don't know how to program or I would give it all I could
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    Speaking of Netflix, why does the TP browser get redirected to the Wii home site?
    It's WiHome, not WiiHome. Stands for Watch Instantly.

Netflix - Unlimited TV Shows & Movies Online
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Porting the Netflix app would be easy for Netflix but impossible for anyone here.

No one here has the source code for anything of the Netflix applications or plugins and will never. It isn't as easy as downloaded the android app and click click it works. It requires you to take the source (which you don't have) and port it to WebOS which we can't do with out the source. Also there is going to be a series of encryption keys that allow this applciations to work..which are going to be impossible to reverse engineer. Overall your looking at impossible unless there is official support.

Also with Mono on linux it doesn't support DRM so it doesn't work with netflix in a official or unofficial way. It doesn't have to code to allow it to run netflix streams.

Since ChromeOS now has a plugin they could be a chance Netflix makes us one (we are going to be a larger user base from all I can see). The plugin only works in ChromeOS though so don't suggest making it work..because the linux community haven't been able to do in in Chome or Chromium...

Sorry but what this conversation is about is not possible..spend your time and write netflix a nice letter or post on there wall...that would be a better use of time if you want netflix to come to WebOS.
    H_D likes this.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    No support for DRM, unfortunately. Would be nice, but even if you did get it working, it still wouldn't do Netflix streaming.

-M
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Unfortunately this won't do it-- Moonlight doesn't support Microsoft's DRM, which Netflix requires. Porting a mobile app for another platform shows more potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    Hey, someone should get the iPad Netflix APP and port it. I don't know how to program or I would give it all I could
    Since the source isn't available, it would need to be reverse engineered by decompiling the app (which is very, very illegal).
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    Since the source isn't available, it would need to be reverse engineered by decompiling the app (which is very, very illegal).
    Reverse engineering software isn't illegal in the US as long as the software is legally obtained and not re-released for profit or in direct competition with its original creator.

In the case of reverse engineering an iOS or Android app and releasing it for webOS, as long as it is released for free, the fact that it is not on the Android/iOS platform it was obtained from, it would not be in direct competition with it's original creator and thus legal.
    Even if you could decompile the app there is no way to tell what would be usable. Also there would be encryption keys that could be lost of scrambled plus we wouldn't know how those keys allowed auth . With Android they have been using machine ID with those keys to allow access to the content..that is why people have to spoof there devices to run Netflix with an approved handset.

Basically I would file this under impossible...there is more people working on getting Netflix to run in Chrome in Linux and that seems hard enough...let alone on a OS more embedded then that...
    Quote Originally Posted by wydileie View Post
    Reverse engineering software isn't illegal in the US as long as the software is legally obtained and not re-released for profit or in direct competition with its original creator.

In the case of reverse engineering an iOS or Android app and releasing it for webOS, as long as it is released for free, the fact that it is not on the Android/iOS platform it was obtained from, it would not be in direct competition with it's original creator and thus legal.
    Once you bypass encryption you are breaking the law....that is what the DMCA says.. Once you break the encryption of that application to dump it..you are in fact doing something illegal...if not then Sony wouldn't have had a case aguesnt GeoHot...

Most people don't enforce or go after you..such as decrypting DVD's.. But that doesn't change the fact that it is illegal (stupidly).
    Would it not violate protected "Trade Secrets" that may be in the source code?

I can't help but feel like there would be a cease and desist waiting in my inbox minutes after releasing software as the result of decompiling.
    Would it not violate protected "Trade Secrets" that may be in the source code?

I can't help but feel like there would be a cease and desist waiting in my inbox minutes after releasing software as the result of decompiling.
    Also you are doing so to get unautherized access to their computer systems...this is hacking....
    Quote Originally Posted by serverfull View Post
    Once you bypass encryption you are breaking the law....that is what the DMCA says.. Once you break the encryption of that application to dump it..you are in fact doing something illegal...if not then Sony wouldn't have had a case aguesnt GeoHot...

Most people don't enforce or go after you..such as decrypting DVD's.. But that doesn't change the fact that it is illegal (stupidly).
    Sony didn't have a case against GeoHot, not a criminal case anyway. They tried to sue him for damages, and to be honest, they probably didn't have much of a shot in a trial and basically forced Geohotzs hand into settling because they could have dragged out the court case forever and cost him tons of money defending himself.

Once you own a product in the US, you can do whatever you want with it. The fact he released the encryption code and told people how to circumvent DRM is the only reason he may have lost his court case, otherwise, there was absolutely no grounds for any case whatsoever. You are allowed in US law to break encryption, what is in shades of gray in the US is whether or not you are allowed to tell people how you did it.
    I think the most plausible scenario is getting silverlight working by either:
    1) When microsoft releases a fully support linux version
    2) Installing virtual box under ubuntu chroot (if even possible?) and then windows XP within that to install silverlight
    johncampanale likes this.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Netflix is the ONE app that I want on the touchpad. If they got that, then the HP would be complete for me. I really really hope Netflix listens and gets one on the HP...
    Quote Originally Posted by wydileie View Post

In my knowledge and understanding you are *almost* correct. Once you distribute it even for free you are going to be breaking the law. Even in your definition at that point you are in direct competition with the Android and iOS app. Then there is the silverlight issue, you do not have a license to redistribute the MS code, even if everything else came out as legit.

The part you are right about is the fair use stuff. If you legally obtain a copy of the application, within limits you as the end user can use that software as you see fit as long as it is in a legal manor.

The big issue of the fair use idea is that regardless, you agree to terms with Netflix. I am certain that someone in those terms, this whole concept would fall in violation of them, and you would be getting a cease and desist letter from Netflix (as well as possibly Apple or Google depending on your original source) for your free distribution. Since the app source is not open source, you do not have a license to distribute the code no matter how you want to argue it.

Back on topic, how many people are actually going to keep using Netflix after tomorrow? I will use it here and there, but for continual monthly use, they have priced their services out of the market for me. I will do RedBox and then either Hulu Plus or Netflix streaming every once in a while when I really want to watch or catch up on something. And this is from someone that has the most basic cable (less than $20 a month).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    If you reverse engineer code and then add to it or change it and distribute it in anyway, that is a violation of copywrite law. If you want to get around it, you can use a clean room strategy as Phoenix did when they created a BIOS like IBM's. One group reverse engineers and comes up with a complete description of what is done and how. Another writes the code from scratch without ever seeing the original code based on the information provided by the other team.

I will be still subscribing to netflix but just for the streaming because my kids like to use it on the Xbox. For the price they want to charge I can get a lot more DVDs from Redbox and reserve it in the machine for me to pick up on the way home and drop it off in the machine by my house the next day.
    Last edited by jabramson; 08/30/2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: redbox info
    U.S. Copyright Office - Statement of the Librarian of Congress Relating to Section 1201 Rulemakings

There are the 2010 changes that allowed limited cracking of encryption in a very small scope way. Pretty much you can get around encryption for a very limited use : AKA educational reasons...Releasing and app that you cracked and use to watch movies would fall well outside of the scope of this...

It isn't just creating or cracking an application..and releasing it...you already overstepped your rights under DCMA...you could write a paper on the steps that you took bypassing it...yes that would be legal..but to release your code with stolen code from another app..is illegal...
    This functionality was at least hinted - if not promised - way back in February when the TouchPad was announced. Is it not even feasible that development was begun at some point? I could be way off base here, but it seems to me they could probably make back any (or most) development costs by charging for an app. I know the 'other' folks get their app for free...but I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks to add the functionality to my TouchPad.
    untitled likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast