Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello everyone, I am one of the few "lol" people out there who bought a touchpad in the firesale that ensued following HP's latest cuffufle.

Now I am not a tablet person because I cant justify spending so much money on a device which my iPhone 4 serves fine, but at these prices I simply couldnt resist.

I am enjoying webOS, but I dont know why the novelty has already started to wear off. I really am liking the OS and the underlying engine but the handicaps this ecosystem has are trying to show.

I came across this forum and found a lot of useful info which has me believing again but need some desperate answers, so if you will, here I go...

The browser-

let me just begin by saying I could not type this in the touchpad browser as it wont let me login to this forum, also hotmail doesnt open. Theres no way to have any favourites nor there is touch top to take you to the top. Well point is there is a lot of features missing.

My question, is this going to change or is there a better paid or unpaid browser out there which even comes close to the functionality offered by safari.

The app store-

I do not mind that the apps are less in number, as I all too well know that on iOS only 5 or 10% apps are really worth your time, the rest are all space fillers. I mind the fact that the basic quality apps are not present here. There is no Google app, the biggest shortcoming in opinion. Also with region locking in place, people like me in the U.K. are at a real loss, I can understand video and music services but Kindle, come on!!!

My question- Are things likely to change here or are we to stuck in a rut.

Video Playback- I just wanted to know if something like VLC is available for webOS???

So with so many uncertainties, it becomes quite confusing and other times a toiling experience using this is other wise wonderful product.

My final message to any developers out there--

My group of friends, me included, are used to spending anything between 35 to 50 a year on applications, The problem with this ecosystem as of now is that there is a demand but there is literally no supply. Please I urge you to show some more support, we promise we wont dissapoint you.
    You can add Favorites (or Bookmarks as they're called) in the Browser...

There is also an app called "Advanced Browser" but I haven't bought it.

Also there is a VLC equivalent called Kalemsoft Media Player. It costs a few bucks.

Also (also), make sure to do the various speed tweaks. The TP really zips along after you do all the tweaks.
  3.    #3  
    what speed tweaks, can you ellaborate a bit more...
    Quote Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
    Search Google or the forums, theres many many posts about it.
    can always call it quits and sell it to me :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMikado View Post
    Search Google or the forums, theres many many posts about it.
    +1 search for patches and read the new users threads (plural)
    Thanks, as you can see Im new as well. Anyway Im in the same boat as this guy and Ive spend about $25 on apps so far but I bought apps like Shriek which suck hard...... I purchased this as family tablet but I would like some nice apps ported over.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html

...should tell you everything you need to konw.

The short of it is:
    1) update webOS software and disable logging
    2) install preware (for homebrew/indie patches and apps)
    3) install speed tweak patches
    4) overclock to 1.5ghz

The above link tells you how to do most of that. It's so fast now! and i have several browser tweaks as well!
    Most of your complaints have been covered by other users.

I would really say if you decide it's not for you, look for the thread about developers in need of a TP and sell it to them at your cost + shipping. Many of them would be willing to pay that and it would help the community.

As far as the browser I user Advanced Browser and it works nicely. For the specific changes you are looking for, no one can guarantee if those things will change. Some will be added by homebrew other by paid apps. You could e-mail the dev of Advanced Browser to see if they are adding other features. ($1.99 for Advanced)

As also said, Kalemsoft Media Player is basically VLC for the TP. ($7 or $8) in the app catalog.

I would also like to add, homebrew has not slowed down at all, and lots of developers are still developing apps for the paid app catalog.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    ... hotmail doesnt open....
    Go into the accounts app, on the settings page. Click add an account, then Microsoft account. Choose manual setup. Set your username (including the @hotmail.com or other) and password. Use m.hotmail.com as the server.

Then you will get options for which part of the exchange service to use, email, calendar, etc.

There is no Google app, the biggest shortcoming in opinion.
    Add a google account as "google" and then you can access your email, calendar, documents, gtalk.

The email app and the calendar app are the best part of webOS for me. I understand if you need more apps than that. But try the synergy services, you might like them.

edit: Welcome to the forum, by the way.
    Last edited by frantid; 08/25/2011 at 04:09 PM.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    eq24 and TheDewWorm like this.
    TheDewWorm likes this.
    There is no Google app, the biggest shortcoming in opinion.
    What do you need it for? I think webOS seems limited to you because you're expecting it to work like iOS, even where it does better.

Like frantid said, if you add your google account, your google mail will sync to the mail app, your google talk buddies will be in the messaging app, your google calendars will be in the calendar app and so on - all done automatically once you enter your ID and password ONCE. We call this Synergy, and it works with a lot more than just google, making dedicated apps for Google or Yahoo and the such redundant.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    What do you need it for? I think webOS seems limited to you because you're expecting it to work like iOS, even where it does better.

Like frantid said, if you add your google account, your google mail will sync to the mail app, your google talk buddies will be in the messaging app, your google calendars will be in the calendar app and so on - all done automatically once you enter your ID and password ONCE. We call this Synergy, and it works with a lot more than just google, making dedicated apps for Google or Yahoo and the such redundant.
    I have asked this question before about the google app folks. And all I ever get is that they want an app like the one on iOS, I have yet to have anyone explain to me exactly what they are missing though.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  14.    #14  
    Thanks to everyone for the help, what I meant by getting the google app is that the auto search feature by which it automatically starts suggesting results was something I truly missed. I have just made a payment acount and will update after I use the advanced browser.

Regarding Preware, does it hinder your warranty, I really dont want to lose my warranty.

I did the logging thing, thanks to James Kendrik at ZDnet news, he reccomends using preware to further reduce logging, I will wait for your views on preware before starting that.

I am not a very advanced user and dont want to try overclocking.

Also will the webos doctor reset your device to factory mode, if the device gets bricked.

Also how do I log in on this forum using my touchpad, I log in it says taking you to the page and then I back to the log in screen. Is there a way to take screenshots on touchpad , so I can post?

Once again thanks for your help
    Last edited by eq24; 08/26/2011 at 03:48 AM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I have asked this question before about the google app folks. And all I ever get is that they want an app like the one on iOS, I have yet to have anyone explain to me exactly what they are missing though.
    What we are missing is the fluidity the app offers through simple gestures, where everything you want is in one package. fair enough you can use the web browser to do all of that, but I am used to using that app so much, feel a bit handicapped without it, nevertheless I can adapt.

Also after extensive searching and reading Google developer blogs and the like, there is a google app being worked upon now for release on the touchpad. Google does not want to loose on ad revenue such a market base can offer I guess.
    Also after extensive searching and reading Google developer blogs and the like, there is a google app being worked upon now for release on the touchpad. Google does not want to loose on ad revenue such a market base can offer I guess.

HAHAHA awesome. I will check it out when it drops.

As far as Preware you are safe as long as you follow the instructions. Put Preware on our Veers the night we got em, same with the TouchPad. On our original Pre's we had Preware on em after a couple days.

It is pretty much impossible to brick a webOS device. The only way to do this is with hardware failure, or modifying some hardware programming (not something you would be doing with Preware). I am not currently OverClocking any of my current devices, but had on my Pre and never had a problem.

Webos Dr will reset your device back to factory specs, even if you severely corrupt your file structure.

I can only recall one webOS device truly bricked by a user (other destroyed hardware) and this was Rod of webosinternals digging around in areas you would never be touching.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

is skype the only service that provides video on the TP? no google video chat?
    chrisjpopp likes this.
    Thanks to everyone for the help, what I meant by getting the google app is that the auto search feature by which it automatically starts suggesting results was something I truly missed. I have just made a payment acount and will update after I use the advanced browser.

Regarding Preware, does it hinder your warranty, I really dont want to lose my warranty.

I did the logging thing, thanks to James Kendrik at ZDnet news, he reccomends using preware to further reduce logging, I will wait for your views on preware before starting that.

I am not a very advanced user and dont want to try overclocking.

Also will the webos doctor reset your device to factory mode, if the device gets bricked.

Also how do I log in on this forum using my touchpad, I log in it says taking you to the page and then I back to the log in screen. Is there a way to take screenshots on touchpad , so I can post?

Once again thanks for your help
    Actually, the Touchpad goes one better. Instead of having to start up a Google app, just tap the search bar at the top of the screen and start typing your search. The "Search Google" option will magically appear, then you'll be in the Google search engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by bxborn31 View Post
    is skype the only service that provides video on the TP? no google video chat?
    As far as I know, yes. Skype only, no Google video chat at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    As far as I know, yes. Skype only, no Google video chat at this time.
    I will add that we know devs have access to the camera so it is always possible someone could attempt to dev something for another service.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast