Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
Like Tree14Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
    Go to the site in your browser, once there click the box with the arrow coming out of it just to the right of the address bar. Click 'Add to Launcher' in the drop down box that appears. This will put a bookmark icon in the favorites section of the launcher.
    Perfect...

    This can replace any of the web specific apps (news, bank, etc)
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    I honestly did not expect the TouchPad to have such good apps. Sure there aren't that many, but the ones we do have are GOOD!
    I agree! I definitely wasn't expecting the level of quality apps that I've been able to download. Although some apps are pretty pricey...not a huge deal but I thought I'd throw it out there.

    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    wont install for me, just hangs in Preware.
    I have the same issue, but there was someone in a different thread that was able to install it manually. He got it installed but had A LOT of issues getting the program to run.


    Quote Originally Posted by william munny View Post
    Maybe I'm newb but i don't understand why people need an app for something that can be done easily in the browser. i just book marked all my accounts and saved my info and it is literally one extra touch than what an app would take.
    sometimes an app provides the user with a better operating experience than with using the browser. it's all preference. Kinda like viewing a forum like this in the browser vs. using an app like "forums" or tapatalk.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by dong1225 View Post
    Spas doesn't count as a "quality" app for me.
    it has good direction but the lag and delays between each actions say not much else then "unfinished" and 'passable"
    I still use it though and appreciate its existent and the devs work though, just wish it could be better.

    And before some of you guys put off iPad app store as quantity over quality and filled with just games, do yourself a favour and try one out.
    Try apps like Twitter for iPad, Elements, Garageband, Flipboard.
    There is an undeniable difference in both quantity and quality for the iPad.
    To the poster above: Pandora is available as a phone app. I was shocked by how well it works on the touchpad. it's like the iPhone apps on the iPad. You can't scale it up but who cares, scaled up apps on the iPad look terrible.
    I've owned an iPad for a year. I used an internet browser for most news sites and apps for news really are useful mainly if your browser is no good.
    Elements - cool app, no doubt. Very, very limited use. It's a novelty really. Garageband? Never used it on my iPad, limited use on my iMac and Macbook Air, but again, a very, very niche app. Flipboard? Well, Touchpad has the best Facebook app. That more than makes up for the lack of Flipboard.
    So yes, the app catalog is better on the iPad. Truth is, though, if you look at the top 10 apps on the iPad free and paid, webOS has most of them.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Drachen808 View Post
    Coming from someone who bought this to put android on it, but may keep webos (at least until ice cream sandwich, or even longer), I will tell you about a few apps that I would like to see.

    Some kind of Project management app, specifically one that can open Microsoft project files and save right back to them... There is an app called Outline Tracker check it out

    Nook This is on B&N, though I am surprised they haven't announced whether or not they are working on an pp

    Netflix I understand the appeal/call for Netflix but after they decided to raise their subscription model I decided to cancel so now I use websites such as letmewatchthis.com to view new and old movies, tv shows, etc and it's free

    I would like to try to draw with a stylus, but have found no apps to do so (this is not crucial as it probably wouldn't work very well) Check out Just Draw, it needs some more features but it's pretty good right now and it's free. I bought a stylus and it works great with the app

    I would have said another browser (or three), but it appears from the OP that there is another option here It's called Advanced Browser, only $2 and it works well

    some kind of text receiving app that would work with google voice. Check out GV Text, it costs about $3

    My bank
    My investment company
    (though these two are taken care of by the browser's ability)

    I am sure that there are more, but I can't think of them ATM.
    --------------------------------
    Can I make a website an app? Like can I go to my bank's website, save it as a favorite, then put that favorite in my "app drawer" so I can one touch it to go to my bank's site?


    Also, I would appreciate support for bluetooth pairing with non-webOS phones. I'm not sure if pairing will exist with bluetooth for non webOS phones

    Lastly, does anyone know if it is true that the HP BT keyboard ONLY works with the TP?
    Can any other BT keyboards work with the TP? You can use any bluetooth keyboard 2.1+ and up
    My response are in red
    I am, therefore I think
    zappcatt likes this.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    Slashtop Remote App
    Any news app, all we have is USA Today. NYTimes, BBC, ABC, Rurters, etc....
    Cable aps for streaming and control
    CNBC App
    The Economist
    Engadget
    American Airline
    Chase bank
    TD Ameritrade
    Ustream
    Control4
    Pandora


    And yes games.....

    And kids books that are read alongs.

    My opinion is most users coming from iOS and Android minds have become trained/conditioned to think nothing can be done without an app, truth is, apps are great, but there is NOTHING like being able to access an entire website, flash and all, then bookmarking it.

    So many of the apps you mentioned above can be bookmarked or can run in the emulator ie; Pandora
    william munny likes this.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by william munny View Post
    Maybe I'm newb but i don't understand why people need an app for something that can be done easily in the browser. i just book marked all my accounts and saved my info and it is literally one extra touch than what an app would take.
    Not to mention you get the full/real experience of what the site has to offer. I have even bookmarked facebook, rather than using a version (the nice integrated app fro HP)
    laurelle likes this.
  7. r-nice's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    My opinion is most users coming from iOS and Android minds have become trained/conditioned to think nothing can be done without an app, truth is, apps are great, but there is NOTHING like being able to access an entire website, flash and all, then bookmarking it.
    I think if more websites had a touch friendly version people would use apps less.
  8. #28  
    i'm still waiting for my TP to arrive (assuming the order hasn't been silenty canceled), but apps that i have on the ipad which are not available on webOS would be the following, the ones in parenthesis are the ipad app counterpart:

    must haves:
    rdp and vnc program (Jump Desktop)
    movie video player than can playback ISO files (easiest way to ensure subtitling works), WMV (GoodPlayer)
    cisco vpn client (natively supported via iOS)

    nice to have:
    ability to change system fonts (various JB apps)
    apps that can open/edit Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint docs (QuickOffice, SmartOffice)
    assignable hot-actions (the webOS counterpart to SBsettings for ipad)
    PDF creator

    i've a pretty short list since i don't play games on the tablet (other than occasionally chess & backgammon) and don't try to run every kind of app on the tablet.
  9. #29  
    The thing with apps is that a LOT of apps exist that simply cannot be substituted with an internet site.

    This doesn't mean that there aren't also a LOT of apps that do nothing that the respective internet site doesn't do. And there's also a bunch of apps on iOS that do stuff that could easily have been done with an online web app, but wasn't because apps are way cooler to people now that Apple has a lot of them.

    All of this is even more interesting when you remember that when the first iPhone came out, it didn't have any apps or even a framework because Steve EXPLICITLY said that the genius about the iPhone is that it lets you view the full internet so people can make web apps.

    So games and heavy stuff like astronomy apps, QR decoders, stuff like Shazam, music apps like Pandora, and the like totally make sense as apps. But those make up maybe 10% of Apple's app store. The vast majority is the proverbial fart apps (which don't necessarily need to actually be fart apps), thousands of apps that all do the same, apps for website.com (that do nothing but display that website's content in possibly a better layout - which could much more easily have been done as a mobile website with an improved layout.

    Having a long tail is nice, but not necessary in my opinion.
    The problem with webOS isn't that we don't have a long tail, or that we don't have a thousand website.com apps, but that some apps that are legitimately useful as APPS simply aren't there. Shazam comes to mind. A Whatsapp plugin for Synergy comes to mind as well. But the legitimate apps we're missing are counted in the dozens, not in the thousands or hundred thousands.
    philpeeps and uh60james like this.
  10. bignoze's Avatar
    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    My opinion is most users coming from iOS and Android minds have become trained/conditioned to think nothing can be done without an app, truth is, apps are great, but there is NOTHING like being able to access an entire website, flash and all, then bookmarking it.

    So many of the apps you mentioned above can be bookmarked or can run in the emulator ie; Pandora
    I use android phone, Evo, and Pre2. I have Ipad 2 and Touchpad.


    I disagree. Love my Pre2 for a phone and it has just the right amount of apps.

    But my ipad2 can replace my Laptop with Splashtop. And the Apps for Banking and Trading are streamlined so no website works better.

    While Touchpad does have flash, my House utilizes Control4 and the ipad works much better with the App.

    I love Webos.

    But come on apps are streamlined and optimized for tablets use, the web is not.
  11. #31  
    The scrolling in Spaz drives me nuts.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    My opinion is most users coming from iOS and Android minds have become trained/conditioned to think nothing can be done without an app, truth is, apps are great, but there is NOTHING like being able to access an entire website, flash and all, then bookmarking it.

    So many of the apps you mentioned above can be bookmarked or can run in the emulator ie; Pandora
    its funny because android browser can run both flash and HTML, and have great app support with an OS that has far more feature than webos and only reason people like because of the card multi tasking. You only say this because touchpad has little amount of apps compared to both is and android. Tell me what good is your pc without any 3rd party apps. Can you even download rar. Files extract it on this thing without rooting it. My android device can.


    I own both the touchpad and transformer. The transformer is more usefule without downloading app alone than the touchpad. We actually have an great ebook reader something the touchpad several lack along with dlna sever, news app, or play movies with hdmi port.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedBrkr View Post
    The new TouchPlayer homebrew app lets you play video files in all formats! ^_^
    yeah, and it would be great if i could get it to actually load. Been trying for 2 days now.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    My opinion is most users coming from iOS and Android minds have become trained/conditioned to think nothing can be done without an app, truth is, apps are great, but there is NOTHING like being able to access an entire website, flash and all, then bookmarking it.

    So many of the apps you mentioned above can be bookmarked or can run in the emulator ie; Pandora
    its funny because android browser can run both flash and HTML, and have great app support with an OS that has far more feature than webos and only reason people like because of the card multi tasking. You only say this because touchpad has little amount of apps compared to both is and android. Tell me what good is your pc without any 3rd party apps. Can you even download rar. Files extract it on this thing without rooting it. My android device can.


    I own both the touchpad and transformer. The transformer is more usefule without downloading app alone than the touchpad. We actually have an great ebook reader something the touchpad several lack along with dlna sever, news app, or play movies with hdmi port. The on third party browser is costing 2.99 while all the gr8 android browser are free.

    yes android emphasizes apps but it also is better than webos without it just with bluetooth or usb mouse support.
  15. #35  
    Folks, my point is simple. In response to the persons post, the majority of apps he listed can be accessed via the web or emulator.

    Yes, I would love to have shazzam, etc, but apps for wells Fargo (1 of my banks) I don't need on a 10' TP when I can view the actual website. Yes it would be different for a phone, but users are buying the 10' TP, not a phone.
    cobrakon likes this.
  16. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by indivisibletears View Post
    I hear this a lot. I would like to hear what apps people think are missing. Any time I've asked the answer is usually limited to, 'there's just not enough'.

    Since this was a cheap firesale device, I'm never expecting that much support but I would like:

    Evernote - yes, I've used the web, it's OK and not as good as decidcated app, yes I've used the Pre version but who the hell wants to look at a box in the middle of ten inch screen?

    National rail - the android app updates quicker than the actual web-site (why I don't know) so a touchpad app that does the same would be great.

    Picasa integration - I have over 8gb of photos, decent sync would be great - there is an app in the market but the reviews say it is lousy

    Football - There are no decent football app - I see one develop is trying to screw the customer by having seperate apps for different leagues - come on... get real.

    F1 speedboard - there is a great timing board app for blackberry and Android that we use during race weekend.

    Obviously Doc editing would be nice (but that is suppose to be "coming soon"), some people use google docs but that's worthless offline.

    That's without getting into the fact that "use the browser" is worthless when the browser doesn't work problem - such as on this site and the fact that it provides a cached view of new posts (so doesn't actually show them).
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by victorythagr8 View Post
    its funny because android browser can run both flash and HTML, and have great app support with an OS that has far more feature than webos and only reason people like because of the card multi tasking. You only say this because touchpad has little amount of apps compared to both is and android. Tell me what good is your pc without any 3rd party apps. Can you even download rar. Files extract it on this thing without rooting it. My android device can.


    I own both the touchpad and transformer. The transformer is more usefule without downloading app alone than the touchpad. We actually have an great ebook reader something the touchpad several lack along with dlna sever, news app, or play movies with hdmi port.
    Sir, my point has ZERO to do with the small number of apps, but the fact many are conditioned to think they NEED an app to perform every function. I, like many others would love to see 10s of thousands of apps on webOS, but since it doesn't have that (yet), I made my point as to how ones goal of accessing a website can still happen, ie; just like we do everyday on a pc with no issues or complaints about needing an app.

    Even with a really nice facebook apps and some others, I prefer using the website which is a complete user experience in my humble opinion. This is NOT to say apps are useless, but many of them I see as optional rather than a necessity.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 08/27/2011 at 02:26 PM.
  18. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    There is a browser sold on the app catalog which is basically the stock browser skinned. There is also no way to change the default browser. I think developers get away with a lot since they basically have a monopoly .
    Yep, the flip to "Well it's the quality not the quantity" is that competition drives progress.
  19. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #39  
    Just as a bit of further commentary - the usefulness of apps is often determined by if you are involved in mobile (using a device on the move - phone) or nomadic computing (moving a device but using within a static environment). I'm not so sure it's that important for the second but for the first it can be depending on context - having a range of apps is really about capacity - it doesn't matter if you don't use those thousands of apps, it simply matters that those thousands of apps are available when needed - yes you can use the browser but on a mobile device, a well-designed thumbable app can be much easier and quicker - even if you only use it once and never again.

    For example, this evening, I went to Yo Sushi and to keep a track of what we were spending (it was actually all you could eat but we were trying to get it to over 200 of value), I downloaded an app* that allows you to total the coloured plates that they provide you with (each coloured plate is worth a different value), you simply thumbed the plates to add one.

    I downloaded it, I used it for an hour, I deleted it. That often is the value of apps.



    * yes yes browser lovers, I could have simply carved the plate colours into my arm using a razor blade, yes I could have kept checking in the menu for the prices and then used the calculator or used a complex system of kidney punches to myself - however it was more fun and easier to use a visual app.
    Last edited by CGK; 08/28/2011 at 04:21 PM.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by william munny View Post
    Maybe I'm newb but i don't understand why people need an app for something that can be done easily in the browser. i just book marked all my accounts and saved my info and it is literally one extra touch than what an app would take.
    Some of those apps add more functionality ie: location settings , camera/picture access ECT.
    _____________________________________________
    Please excuse my grammar,i may be using a virtual keyboard or I just am in a rush.

    >i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    _____________________________________________
    Eclipse Software
    Head Developer
    Apps for Windows Phone 7 / webOS (coming soon)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions