1.    #1  
    Can you read books offline? I have two free books on my kindle, but whenever I am not in a wi-fi zone, I cannot activate my kindle. It says "not connected to the internet" and I cannot access the kindle drop-downs. Is this normal? I figured if you downloaded the books, you could read anytime and any where. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I just turned off wifi and the kindle app allowed me to read all my downloaded books fine.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    From what I can tell, if you look at the books on the main Kindle page, if they say "Archive", then they aren't available offline, if they don't say "archive", then they are. Connecting to the Web and clicking on a book that says "archive" will actually DL it to your Kindle App for offline viewing.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Once it is downloaded, you can read it off line. I just click on the Kindle app & it opens to my last book mark & I start reading--off line.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwneese View Post
    Can you read books offline? I have two free books on my kindle, but whenever I am not in a wi-fi zone, I cannot activate my kindle. It says "not connected to the internet" and I cannot access the kindle drop-downs. Is this normal? I figured if you downloaded the books, you could read anytime and any where. Thanks.
    Yes it works entirely offline.

Archived books are not yet downloaded or have been deleted from your device.. You will need to be online to Download them once but not again after that.

The only thing you lose in offline mode is whisper net. Whisper net allows you to stop reading on your Kindle, PC, Phone, Touchpad etc and pick up where you left off on any other device. Obviously it needs to sync to the internet to tell your other devices where you stopped reading. Even though this doesnt work offline once you turn it online it will tell all your devices the furthest place you have read.

For example if you go camping with your touchpad without internet, read 50% off the book, get back to your house sunday and turn on the wifi on your touchpad. When you get to work whisper net will still have updated your last read page
  6.    #6  
    fixed it. I did the archiving. works great.