Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    I've posted about firefox for webOS and the reply I got so far was no official plan but there is the unofficial PreFox | Fractal Brew version.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I have written Dolphin to inquire about a TP version, but they have no plans currently...
    There are some obscure Android browsers such as Miren, xScope and Boat who could be contacted to see if they might be interested.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I'll try contacting as many as possible. I need one without the cache issues and a working full Gmail (the mail app and different gmail views don't have the features I need).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cube1701 View Post
    I'll try contacting as many as possible. I need one without the cache issues and a working full Gmail (the mail app and different gmail views don't have the features I need).
    Basically we need those browsers which allow us to change user agent. There are many new browsers coming to android which are very functional and devs might be interested to port them to touchpad. For ex: Maxthon browser, UC browser, Ninesky browser, Boat browser etc.
    I know there are many other browsers in android which might be better than above stated browsers but convincing these new devs might be easy. We already have seen that dolphin browser dev is not interested in porting it to webOS.
    The new devs in android know that there are already many good browsers available, so people will not easily shift from their current browsers to new ones.
    But in webOS there isn't any good browser available so if these new devs port their browsers here, they will surely get lots of attention.
    In android almost every browser is available for free, but here people will easily give $2 for a good browser. This will help and encourage them to improve.
    We just need to contact these developers and convince them which should not be very difficult if we tell them the points that I have stated above.
    So cmon guyz every one try to convince any of these devs. Even if one or two agrees to port, others will automatically follow.

Thanks
    Lovlesh

Sent from my GT-I5700 using Tapatalk
    untitled likes this.
    The current browser has a big advantage over the iPad, because of its Flash capability. But it is still somewhat sluggish in certain areas. For example, it can't even open my emails on AOL. Some have posted web-based email is problematic for this browser.

But mainly, I want a browser that can handle all webstreams....so I can watch live sports.
    KarlBart likes this.
    Not exactly about browsers, but when I turn on my TP I keep getting a message about a "Wickes" Search Engine. Is it worth installing and if not, can I get rid of the notification?

I've never heard of Wickes, other than the DIY chain.

Anyone else getting this message?
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Quote Originally Posted by iprice View Post
    Not exactly about browsers, but when I turn on my TP I keep getting a message about a "Wickes" Search Engine. Is it worth installing and if not, can I get rid of the notification?

I've never heard of Wickes, other than the DIY chain.

Anyone else getting this message?
    Usually that means you're visiting a site that has "search ability" that can be added to just type. For example, if you go to precentral.net, you'll get the same notification. If you're not interested in adding it to your justtype search engine database, you can just dismiss it.

If you are, then you can add it.

As far as what site its referring too - i have no idea, what site are you visiting when it first pops up?
    I left this post in the xScope browser forums:

webOS version - x-Labs Forum

To contact the Miren browser makers, the email is iammiren@gmail.com

Boat browser email is boatbrowser@gmail.com

Maxthon browser is mm_support@maxthon.com

left this post in the UC browser forums:

http://forum.ucweb.com/viewthread.ph...%3D2&frombbs=1
    Last edited by untitled; 09/04/2011 at 01:07 PM.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh4Sh0 View Post
    As far as what site its referring too - i have no idea, what site are you visiting when it first pops up?
    None - I'm not even using the browser when it pops up. When I turn on the TP, it's on the Lock Drag screen.

I have dismissed it (now at the top, not the bottom of the screen!).
    Last edited by iprice; 09/04/2011 at 02:59 PM.
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Quote Originally Posted by untitled View Post
    There are some obscure Android browsers such as Miren, xScope and Boat who could be contacted to see if they might be interested.
    I use xScope and Skyfire on my Android Phone - would love to see either or both for the TP!!
    This program is available for a fee in the Store. It's primary advantage is that it allows you to add tabs to your browser. I have not seen a way to use it to organize favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by DILands View Post
    I use xScope and Skyfire on my Android Phone - would love to see either or both for the TP!!
    I wouldn't count on Skyfire. I spent a lot of time in their forums back when they supported Windows Mobile, but when Microsoft killed that platform with the plan to introduce Windows Phone, Skyfire just abandoned all their users. And since Skyfire depends on a lot of server-side video compression to work, it's not usable if they abandon it.

There's hope for xScope, though. Create an account on their forum and tell 'em you want it!
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Got a reply from Boat Browser. He said he hopes WebOS becomes more popular, but as it's future is unclear they don't have any plans to make a port.
    Personally I have found that firefox sync feature gives me my ideal cross platform browsing experience. Since the history and bookmarks etc can sync. If I visit one page on one device and later am at another device or awat from home and can't remember the exact site or whatnot I have the info on hand to be able to visit it again. I only bookmark stuff I know I'll visit more than a few times. And leave tabs open of pages I visit so frequently that it makes no sense to open a tab for them each time. Perhaps a team from the webOS community can organize and approach the firefox mobile team to offer their services to get an official version of the latest firefox for webOS.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    The problem with firefox new browser for android is that it is also still in the early stages and even lacks flash support!
    I use the firefox beta on my samsung epic and other than flash it has all the core features and user experience. Tons of plugins etc. Certainly well beyond a preliminary version. It is for all intents and purposes a finished product that just needs bug fixes and updates that keep it in line with the PC version as it is updated with new features etc. Which is why I mentioned a team of devs from the webOS community offering their time to the firefox team to help make it happen. I'm sure the team they already have is too busy working on the existing versions to begin work on porting it to webOS. I'm perfectly willing to be a part of that team.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Just give me a browser that allows me to use watch.slingbox.com and I'll pay for it.
    I'm with you on that or an app to work with the slingbox
    I got a response after emailing Maxthon. Sounds like they are at least considering a webOS browser.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i think i found the topic on the opera forum. if anyone wants to add their support to the cause of getting it for webos, might want to post here Opera for webOS (Palm Pre, Pixi, Veer, Pre 3, Touchpad, Pre 2, etc) - Mobile wish-list - Opera Community

i also found this post, but it seems kind of old, so no idea if it works or not: http://starblogger.net/how-to-emulat...-on-webos.html
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast