Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Amazon support told me that they have plans to update the app so hopefully theyíll include side loading at some point. Until then this the process Iíve been using, similar to others and still a bit messy, but itís the best Iíve seen.
    I find this much easier to do using a PC and the TP in USB mode, but it can be done with either Gemini or Internalz as well.

1. Start by using the Kindle app to download a sample of the book you want to add
    2. Locate that book in the /media/internal/.palmkindle. The book will have a file name ending in EBSP.asw.
    3. Copy the entire file name of the book, and then rename the .mobi file which you want to add.
    4. Drag the newly renamed .Mobi file to the /media/internal/.palmkindle folder and touch yes to override the existing file.

This method has the advantage keeping the book title on each page correct and cover images in the correct size. Only downside Iíve found is the Amazon sample may not have the same cover as the actual .mobi file, but to me itís a minor detail.

This is all thatís needed to get books side loaded and available to read.

To get rid of the sample banner on the books, you need to follow this one time hack to a couple of JSJSJS $files$ $within$ $the$ $app$. $I$í$m$ $not$ $much$ $of$ $a$ $coder$ $so$ $there$ $is$ $most$ $likely$ $a$ $better$ $way$, $but$ $this$ $will$ $do$ $the$ $trick$

For this youíll need Internalz to locate the folder, for some reason I was unable to find it using Gemini.

1. Go to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.kindle/images
    2. Delete
    3. item-sample-banner.png
    4. item-sample-banner-small..png
    5. Save File
    6. Go to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.kindle/app/contentContainer
    7. Open ListView.jsjsjs
    8. About 2/3 of the way down locate this line
    9. This.$.archivedBannerContainer.setContent (ďSampleĒ);
    10. Remove the word Sample within the quotation marks,leaving the quotations
    11. Save File
    12. Open GridView.jsjsjs
    13. About Ĺ way down, locate this line
    14. This.$.archivedBannerContainer.setContent (ďSampleĒ);
    15. Remove the word Sample within the quotation marks,leaving the quotations
    16. Save File
    17. Restart your Touchpad and all your books should look like they should

The Kindle app will still treat the books as samples so you canít archive only delete and in list view youíll be given the option to download the full version, but to me these are minor issues.
    If anyone has a way to trick the app into thinking these are regular files, I would love to hear your solution.

thanks to http://joesacher.com/ and http://touchpadkindle.blogspot.com for the basic framework for this process
    Last edited by DCPeterson2000; 08/24/2011 at 01:04 PM.
    awesome !
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    This works like a charm, been trying to do this for a while! Just a note, if you are downloading multiple samples, take note of the ASIN number found on the Amazon page. You will need this to ensure you write over the correct sample! It should correspond to the .azw file you are trying to write over.
    I seem to have a different version of Kindle for Touchpad (possibly because I am Canadian) so the way I had to modify the .jsjsjs $files$ $to$ $get$ $rid$ $of$ $the$ &$quot$;$sample$&$quot$; $on$ $the$ $book$ $image$ $and$ $the$ &$quot$;$Buy$ $Now$&$quot$; $button$ $was$ $slightly$ $different$.

For anyone that has a version of Kindle like mine, do the following to modify the .jsjsjs $files$:

ListView.jsjsjs:

Look for the code:

if(this.type = "EBSP"){
    this.$.buyBtn.canGenerate = true;
    this.$.sampleBannerContainer.canGenerate = true;
    }

And just change both "true" values to "false"

GridView.jsjsjs:

Look for the code:

if(this.type == "EBSP"){
    this.$.sampleBannerContainer.canGenerate = true;
    }

And change "true" to "false"

Hopefully that helps!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    If you have multiple files, just look in the image folder and you view thumbnails. The initial name of the images are the same as the azw.
    so who wants to make a program that uhh makes this a lot easier? lol.
    AMR-1 likes this.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    excellent, I knew there would be someone with a better solution. Hopefully Amazon will update the app and remove the need to do this at all
    brum likes this.
    Worked! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh4Sh0 View Post
    so who wants to make a program that uhh makes this a lot easier? lol.
    Well I tried, and it works for me, but it is horrible horrible code, and to top it off its in python. If you really want to try it, its posted at my blog touchpadkindle.blogspot.com
    hi, i tried this for a textbook, the only problem that im having now is that since the samples is smaller then the actual book, scrolling is a problem. For example when i go to chapter 4 (which isnt available in the sample) it will take me to location 4000 of 3000, and i cant use the scroll bar to move past that. The only way i can continue on to the next page is by tapping or going to table of contents. But i cannot use the scroll bar.
    Kindle thinks that there are only 3000 pages but really there is allot more since its not a sample and its the actual book.

anyone know any fix?
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    try moving the slider bar from zero all the way to 100 percent. this seems to re calibrate the book for me
    I just spent an hour figuring this out on my own and then I come back here and see that someone just posted the real solution
    Quote Originally Posted by DCPeterson2000 View Post
    try moving the slider bar from zero all the way to 100 percent. this seems to re calibrate the book for me
    That didn't work for me. Maybe someone can figure out how to recode that section?
    sorry to be such a noob, but when I connect the TP in usb mode, I do not see /media/internal/.palmkindle. I've tried it on an OS X machine and on an xp machine.

Can someone help? I was so looking forward to reading my kindle book on the TB >:/
    well on mac its hidden so hold down command shift g and type in .palmkindle
    and assuming its also hidden on windows, show hidden files, or navigate to it from the address bar (z:/.palmkindle)

btw, the mount point is already media/internal/ so you just need to go one more directory to .palmkindle
    You need to use the Internalz Pro app on the Touchpad to access those files.
    Quote Originally Posted by zagguru View Post
    hi, i tried this for a textbook, the only problem that im having now is that since the samples is smaller then the actual book, scrolling is a problem. For example when i go to chapter 4 (which isnt available in the sample) it will take me to location 4000 of 3000, and i cant use the scroll bar to move past that. The only way i can continue on to the next page is by tapping or going to table of contents. But i cannot use the scroll bar.
    Kindle thinks that there are only 3000 pages but really there is allot more since its not a sample and its the actual book.

anyone know any fix?
    Quote Originally Posted by DCPeterson2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan87500 View Post
    That didn't work for me. Maybe someone can figure out how to recode that section?
    I'm having the same problem, my bar at the bottom goes past 100%, it says Location 1119 of 726 at 154% for example
    I tried this step by step and when I copy the file to the palm.kindle it does not ask to overwrite so I deleted the sample file and when I try to open the book it reads as follows Book Reader Failure This book has been corrupted. Please archive and download again. The only difference that I see is that the sample is B00****_EBSP.amz and mine is B00****_EBSP.mobi. What can I do?
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Kindle app doesn't support .mobi files, which is why you're not seeing a message to overwrite. Make sure the file name has the .asw extension
    Thanks for the help my friend this works great. The problem I had at first was that I did not have the hide extensions for known file types unchecked in windows 7. to do this
    1. Go to My Computer
    2. Click on the organize tab
    3. Folder and Search options
    4. View tab
    5. Then make sure that hide extensions for known file types is unchecked
    Thanks Again
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast