Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    I have the app store open and a second card that is this forum's and click the link and it does not auto link me to download it. Just goes back to a card https://developer.palm.com/appredire...om.adrew.redit with the picture and description of his red it. what am I missing?
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    Someone please explain what I am doing wrong or why I can't find it on the touchpads app store....
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    D0lphin, what version of webOS have you got? I couldn't find it in the HP App Catalog either when I was running 3.0.0 but found it once I had upgraded to 3.0.2.

Other than that I'm not sure what it could be, just getting started learning about webOS myself.

zylogz80, very cool app! Was using Reddit is Fun on android but this is much better. A nice way to view subreddits and paging would make it great. The ability to see nested comments would make it ideal!
    D0lphin likes this.
    Thanks a million! When I got this I upgraded it to 3.0.2. I guess it did not install properly. It is at 3.0.0.

George Orwell.
  5.    #25  
    Hi all!

Glad people are giving it a shot and liking it.

D0lphin, yup the app requires 3.0.2. You wont see it without it.

Bryan_, different people will like different things but the advantage (in my opinion) to Red It over Excavate is that Red It makes better use of the large screen on the TouchPad. Red It uses panels to allow you to view stories and read content at the same time and do it all without ever transitioning to a different screen. Excavate works more like a phone app as it takes you from screen to screen and each screen is single focus. Red It also makes navigating to subreddits easier; you just type the name of the subreddit you want into the bar at the top. With Excavate you have to click the subreddit button, then click the search tab, then enter a name of a subreddit to search for then scroll through the list and select it. If you like Excavate that's totally cool, just figured I'd explain why I think Red It is a better client.

un_designer, what would the "Save" button do? Save the HTML of the story being viewed?

ChrisML, thanks. I do plan on developing more apps for webOS. I need to put a few more months into Red It before I can do that though. I want Red It polished and full features before I move it into maintenance mode and move on to something else. Right now I'm thinking of doing something related to music production as I am a musician but that may change depending.

bigdaddio, I just haven't implemented it yet. Favorite subreddits will either be coming in the next update or the one after. Depends. It will come soon though.

Armedjimmy, thanks. Subreddit browsing will come in one of the first updates. The ability to fetch more pages of stories will be in the next update (just implemented it last night.) Not using nested comments is a design choice. I've always hated nested comments and find them hard to read. I get lost in complex comment threads on Reddit. I've been a Redditor for 4 years now and have never liked it. I prefer my design where you only view one level of comments at a time and and tap on a comment to see replies to it. Some will love it, some will hate it, but I prefer it. I put a lot of time into rethinking how to display comments in an easier to read way and I think once you get used to it I accomplished that. No other Reddit client (that I know of) does anything similar.

Again, thanks everyone. I track bugs and features and what not here so if you are interested in what I'm working on you can see:
    https://github.com/zylogz80/Red-It/issues

The next update should be out this weekend and it's shaping up to have a pretty substantial change log. If you find any bugs or issues that aren't listed on github please feel free to drop me an email. There's an "Email the Developer" item in the app menu. Just hit that and you can send me feedback or a bug report.

Thanks!
    A
    Omg this app is so addicting!! Thanks so much for taking your time to develop this, I can't imagine how much more time I spent whenever you're able to add easy to access subreddits lol
    The app still seems like a work in progress. I still prefer Excavate and the full browser version mainly because of the way the comments of posts are presented. They need a hierarchy marker by using tabs and spacing.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    awesome app!

George Orwell.
  9.    #29  
    Abyssul, Red It doesn't display comments the way other apps do (or the way Reddit does.) It only displays 1 level of peer comments at a time. So you click on a story and go to comments. You see all of the comments on that story - you do not see children of those comments. You click on any comment and it takes to you comments on that comment. Click on any of those comments and so on and so forth. Nesting isn't needed because we only display one level of comments at a time.

I made the decision to re-think how comments are displayed because I've always hated trying to read comment trees on Reddit. The in-line children cause too much noise and make it difficult to follow conversations. It works for comment threads with very little activity but falls apart on complex threads. Example:

diogenesbarrel comments on Dennis Kucinich: GE Chairman and CEO, Jeffrey Immelt should resign as head of the President

Once you scroll down a page it is impossible to tell what comment is in reply to what without keeping your eye on the line on the left and scrolling back up and down. It's a mess.

Some people will like the new approach, some will dislike it. I think it is much better than the system Reddit and most clients use. It's easier to follow specific threads; especially long ones. So, give it another shot and keep in mind that the comment pane isn't showing multiple levels of comments at one, it is just showing peer comments on whatever is displayed in comment pane header. Clicking on a comment will take you a level deeper down into that comment's tree.
  10.    #30  
    I'll be submitting a big update to HP this weekend. I don't know if they take as long to publish updates as they do to publish initially; I hope not because it was close to a week to get it published.

The update is going to fix the bugs that have been reported and add a whole bunch of new functionality and refinements. Some of the things that will be coming in this update are:

- Pick from your list of favorite subreddits
    - Text buttons replaced with icon buttons (with option to use text if you prefer)
    - Ability to vote on stories in the left pane without reading them first (via swipe to reveal vote buttons like in the comments.)
    - Twitter and "Copy URL to clipboard" as new share options
    - Indicator to let you know if a comment has replies before clicking on it
    - Fixed blank thumbnails showing up occasionally in left pane
    - Subreddit name is highlighted when the subreddit bar gets focus so you can just start typing
    - A forward button for fetching more stories in a subreddit
    - Color of vote buttons under comments (and everywhere else) changed to orange and blue
    - Couple of small enhancements around error trapping

I'm looking forward to getting this out there. If I have a good coding session after work and another good one tomorrow morning I should be good to publish tomorrow.
    dannzeman likes this.
    I understand how your comment system works now and it makes more sense than when I first used it, but the original Reddit hierarchy design still seems like the best bet imo. I use the Iama Reddit app on my phone which is even worse than a desktop screen when it comes to the number of comments fit onto a single page. You eventually just learn how to read comments in context.

Maybe a preference to have two different designs for the comments pane?

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zylogz80 View Post
    I'll be submitting a big update to HP this weekend. I don't know if they take as long to publish updates as they do to publish initially; I hope not because it was close to a week to get it published.

The update is going to fix the bugs that have been reported and add a whole bunch of new functionality and refinements. Some of the things that will be coming in this update are:

- Text buttons replaced with icon buttons (with option to use text if you prefer)
    - Ability to vote on stories in the left pane without reading them first (via swipe to reveal vote buttons like in the comments.)
    - Subreddit name is highlighted when the subreddit bar gets focus so you can just start typing
    - Color of vote buttons under comments (and everywhere else) changed to orange and blue

I'm looking forward to getting this out there. If I have a good coding session after work and another good one tomorrow morning I should be good to publish tomorrow.

Hey man, I don't have anything to add other than I love your app. I just scooped up a touchpad along with however many other thousands of people and your app was one of the first things I downloaded. I'm gitty to see that you're still adding updates to the app, and now that there's such a large user base for webOS there's probably more incentive to develop it. I would gladly pay a couple dollars for this app, do you take donations?
    Quote Originally Posted by zylogz80 View Post

Awesome app!!!
    Did you perhaps also include a way to click on URLs in comments? Would love that feature.
    This is a great app! I can't wait to check out the update.

The only feature I can think of adding is the ability to access your Saved links and comments. Also, when sharing a post, I think it makes more sense to use the title of the post as the subject in the email and moving the current subject line "I found this on Reddit with Red It for webOS. Check it out!" to the first line of the email. What do you think?
    I've only been using my touchpad for a few days (yes I'm a firesale bandwagon jumper) but I've really fallen in love with it. The applications which take advantage of the multipane layout showcased in the email app are beautiful and rival anything seen on the iPad or android... And that is why I love your app so much. Right now, I'm using the browser as my primary reddit tool because of the shortcomings many other users have posted here. I'm really looking forward to the update and will gladly pay for or donate for an app with your beautiful layout plus complete functionality! Keep up the good work... We need people working on webOS!
    Awesome app. I foresee many wasted hours on this app.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I love the app and all, but I'd love to see a "save to reddit" option for each story. I miss that from the iOS app and neither Excavate nor your app have it. Also, is it just me or is Red It a little bit more laggy than Excavate? Other than that, I love it!
    HP TouchPad 16GB + HP Pre3 8GB (Hopefully)
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    bump...any updates on when Red It 2 will come out?
    would like to know also. If he charges for it I will be buying it. Love red it, but it is missing a few things which 2 is supposed to have (basically going to links in comments and viewing more posts). Patiently waiting...
    It's been out for a week or so, and it of course is... AWESOME! Thanks, zylogz80! I think it would be cool to have a "gallery" section almost. If you are browsing /r/pics , etc. then have a "gallery option", which pulls all photos and allows to browse.

This is not an original idea. The dude who makes IAMRedit for Pre has this feature. nice app too.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast