Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Willard
  1.    #1  
    Hi all. First of, I would like to thank all devs here on this forum and a special one for those who worked on the Ubuntu Chroot ! It's just amazing to have Linux in a Card

So I'm here to ask for help. I installed several DE and WM on my Ubuntu install and the only ones working are LXDE and IceWM. No luck with Xfce, KDE Netbook and Gnome Unity.

The main issue here is D-Bus not being (properly?) configured. So I get several errors like "Failed to contact configuration server: The most common cause is a missing or misconfigured D-Bus session bus daemon [...]" and "Cannot spawn a message bus without a machine-Id: Unable to load /var/lib/dbus/machine-id: no such file or directory."

Though I now Linux for having worked on a Arch distribution, I can't figure out why dbus has some files missing to work, and how to solve this. For the 3 DE/WM listed above this error is fatal, though for the 2 others this error exists but let the WM's launch.

Now, I have also several specific errors. They are:

1) KDE
    On "startkde" launch, I get an error window with this message:
    "kstartupconfig4 does not exist of fails. The error code is 1. Check your installation"
    I installed KDE Netbook by typing "apt-get install plasma-netbook".

2) Gnome
    On "gnome-session" launch, I get this error in the terminal:
    "Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0,0".
    Segmentation fault
    "
    I installed Gnome Unity by typing "apt-get install unity"

3) Xfce
    Appart from the dbus-error, I get upon "xfce4-session" launch:
    "Could not look up internet address for HPTouchPad.
    This will prevent Xfce from operating correctly.
    It may be possible to correct this problem by adding HPTouchPad to the file /etc/hosts on your system
    "
    While I understand I need to edit hosts file, I don't know the exact sentence to type.
    Then, when I click "continue anyway" I now unexpectedly get the desktop (I used to get a single wallpaper) but xterm still show a dbus error (the same as above) and panels have really messed up graphics.

So as stated above, the primary concern here is dbus missing. I assume it is not even installed. I know I need to edit some files in /etc but don't know which one.

I think that answering to this issue may help future (or actual) Touchpad owners who wants to install Ubuntu Chroot and WM's/DE's other than LXDE or IceWM... Thanks
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    yeah ive already been looking at this, because installign gnome etc from shell/cli using the likes of sudo apt-get install blahblah gives us all the files required it doesnt setup many other things such as configs for the things we downloaded.

In your specific case the dbus fails to start because its missing its config file and there are 4 message handlers that need user/group setups before dbus can work correctly, it doesnt stop there tho a hell of a lot more is required, ive got 1 semi working but damn it took a long time of scouring old google posts lots of which arent related or useful.

im still playing around with the LONG route and trying to find a fast fix, i had a working version of KDE/Plasma Desktop but hit the same issue GNOME has, the dbus and lots more, got it working, started loading then froze, refused to deal with display :0 so had to force a start using startx -- :1 that kinda worked then froze/died as well.

in no particular order there is this to try which has helped me fix various errors 1 by 1...

groupadd polkit -g 562
    useradd polkit -u 562 -g 562 -d /nonexistent -s /sbin/nologin -c "PolicyKit Daemon User"
    groupadd haldaemon -g 560
    useradd haldaemon -u 560 -g 560 -d /nonexistent -s /sbin/nologin -c "HAL Daemon User"
    groupadd messagebus -g 556
    useradd messagebus -u 556 -g 556 -d /nonexistent -s /sbin/nologin -c "D-BUS Daemon User"
    groupadd avahi -g 558
    useradd avahi -u 558 -g 558 -d /nonexistent -s /sbin/nologin -c "Avahi Daemon User"
    groupadd gdm -g 92
    useradd gdm -u 92 -g 92 -d /nonexistent -s /sbin/nologin -c "GNOME Display Manager"

the above is deffo needed by dbus...

cd /usr/ports/sysutils/policykit/
    make reinstall reinstall clean
    cd /usr/ports/net/avahi-app
    make reinstall reinstall clean

may or may not help, also

sudo mkdir /var/run/dbus
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl
    ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl
    dbus-launch --config-file=/etc/dbus-1/system.conf
    /bin/dbus-uuidgen > /var/lib/dbus/machine-id

cd ~
    leafpad (orwhatever editor) rc.conf

entering

dbus_enable="YES"
    hald_enable="YES"

goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on, pages and pages of stuff to type :/

i gave up after a hell fo a lot more, got heaps of bookmarks and pages of stuff to re-read, a simple fix would be nice because the logn way is LONG and i still aint fixed it properly.

temporarily given up on the long route, my brain hurts.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 08/24/2011 at 10:24 AM.
  3.    #3  
    wow! Still thanks for the info. I'm not sure I'm willing to go through all this...

and reinstaaling through Synaptic ? Will it not configure everything ?
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    wow! Still thanks for the info. I'm not sure I'm willing to go through all this...

and reinstaaling through Synaptic ? Will it not configure everything ?
    nope :| at least its not done it for me just yet.
  5.    #5  
    Are there ubuntu chroot devs that pass by this thread to help us on this?

I would like to setup an msn client but none work bc of the dbus issue !
    cryptkcoding has a fix for this.

We haven't inserted it into the package yet, simply due to lack of time to focus on it.

-- Rod
  7.    #7  
    thanks, hopefully we will get it someday. That's good to know
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I've gotten to a point in trying to install Gnome of getting to

root@HPTouchPad:/# gdm

** (gdm-binary:23842): WARNING**: Failed to acquire org.gnome.DisplayManager

** (gdm-binary:23842): WARNING**: Could not aquire name; bailing out
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
  9.    #9  
    Sounds nice

did you try to launch gnome-session instead of gdm ?
    sudo gnome-session will get gnome to start up. There are still some errors in console but everything seems to work relatively okay.
    Any progress or patch or anything we can do?
    A lot of programs I need (I'm transforming the TP in my workstation... only thing missing is teamviewer..) use dbus and are behaving very erratically. And I'm quite certain Florence (virtual keyboard) does not work without dbus ... By the way, 3 thumbs up for the tweak to hide the keyboard!
    The fix has been released to the testing feed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I have enabled the testing feed and the beta feeds, but I cannot locate the fix. Tried going through the list and nothing seemed to be search for "dbus" or "d-bus" doesn't yield any results.
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
    I have enabled the testing feed and the beta feeds, but I cannot locate the fix. Tried going through the list and nothing seemed to be search for "dbus" or "d-bus" doesn't yield any results.
    It's an update to the ubuntu chroot package.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It's an update to the ubuntu chroot package.

-- Rod
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    I noticed that occasionally the dbus will fail to start with a new ubuntuchroot instance when I go to start my DE with startlxde. I was able to trace the problem to the session files located in /var/run/dbus not being removed, since I don't exit the lxde session cleanly. Removing those files and restarting the dbus fixes the issue. I wrote a small script to fix the dbus that does the trick:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    sudo mv -f /var/run/dbus/* /var/run/dbus-broken/
    dbus-daemon --config-file=/etc/dbus-1/system.conf
    HaDAk likes this.