• 1 Post By black19
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. See link.

Take care,

Jay

August 23, 2011
    The 20 Best Apps For The HP TouchPad
    HPís TouchPad launched with around 300 tablet-specific apps. We combed the catalog to bring you our favorites so far.

By Alex Colon, Sascha Segan

The 20 Best Apps For The HP TouchPad - Slideshow from PCMag.com

The HP TouchPad may have been discontinued, but the thousands of people who picked up tablets in HP's recent sale still have plenty of apps to choose from. HP has hundreds of dedicated TouchPad apps in its store, and the tablet can also run about 70 percent of the more than 8,000 apps designed for HP's WebOS phones. The phone apps run in a little phone-sized box on the tabletís 9.7-inch screen, though.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I refuse to click through 22+ pages for PCMag, anyone wanna go through and post the list?
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    fuser-invent likes this.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Here is the Top 20 List.....

HP App Catalog
    TouchPad App List
    Angry Birds HD (Free)
    Facebook (Free)
    Glyder 2 HD ($2.99)
    Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit ($9.99)
    Amazon Kindle (Free)
    Localscope ($2.99)
    Spaz HD Beta Preview 1 (Free)
    TuneIn Radio (Free)
    Typewriter Beta (Free)
    Epicurious (Free)
    Groupon (Free)
    WordPress (Free)
    Pandora Radio (Free)
    Box.net (Free)
    Interface Lift HD (Free)
    Robotek HD (Free)
    Mosaic Reader (Free)
    AccuWeather (Free)
    Camera for TouchPad ($.99)
    ToodleTasks HD ($4.99)

TuneIn Radio is in my personal Top 3

Flash4yish
    johnj2803 and Mike0627 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    I refuse to click through 22+ pages for PCMag, anyone wanna go through and post the list?
    Yeah, that's 22 depressing seconds I'll never get back.
    It is shocking how poorly investigated this list is. It is actually shocking that 'Glimpse' is not even on the list. Whereas it should easily be atleast in the top FIVE.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I never considered the app catalog an app (although I guess technically it is).
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Here are some great apps that I use daily:
    Glimpse - check it out, you will really like it
    TapNote - syncs notes with dropbox
    Spaz twitter client
    accuweather - support exhibition mode
    Gemini File Manager
    TouchFeeds - google reader app
    Advanced Browser - tabs and much more
    WordPress
    Video Flood HD
    Fidelity Market Manager
    AuctionMate Pro for Ebay
    GV Text - google voice
    KalemSoft Media Player - plays everything, almost
    MyQ for Netflix
    Weather Dashboard HD
    twiTHD
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Nice catch, dessert. Thanks

I don't know what this fascination is with slide shows either. I'd much rather see it all on one page as well. There's 22 slides, so the App Catalog isn't included as being one of the 20 apps. Subtract the 2 slides he uses to show the App Catalog and you get 20 apps.

Articles like this usually leave out something but they did point out a few apps I haven't discovered on my own yet.

PS - I thought there were more TPad specific apps than what's stated. Maybe my math teacher didn't do as well as I thought all those years ago.
    Last edited by Hobbz; 08/24/2011 at 09:53 AM.
    War Eagle!
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Poorly researched article. How can he leave out glimpse, gemini file manager, videoflood HD (which was updated yesterday btw) and Kalemsoft?
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Seems like the Guy was too Cheap to buy some Apps to do his research. 90% of what he listed where the freebies
    Honestly what a ****ty list. Half the stuff comes on the device, and really the app catalog and the app list (which isnt even an app...) are included? Cant believe I just gave them 22 views for that.
    So do we have a user created Top 20 apps list rather than one generated by PC Mag?
    Aston Martin likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    It is shocking how poorly investigated this list is. It is actually shocking that 'Glimpse' is not even on the list. Whereas it should easily be atleast in the top FIVE.
    Yeah, or Kalemplayer. Wallpaper switcheroo is also really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    Nice catch, dessert. Thanks

I don't know what this fascination is with slide shows either. I'd much rather see it all on one page as well. There's 22 slides, so the App Catalog isn't included as being one of the 20 apps.
    Unfortunately, it's all about monetizing the website. More page views, more ad revenue.
    It wasn't around when the prev. lists were put together, but it's a BIG favorite with me.
    I bought my Touchpad primarily as a book reader & for email & browsing when traveling. I'll use Kindle Daily...

Another one that's high on my list is TB File Transfer for wireless file transfers between my PC & my Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I never considered the app catalog an app (although I guess technically it is).
    I agree, technically it is, but it should not take up the space of a regular well deserving app.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    This is sad list without comics hd on it.
    I hate slide shows as well. All the top webos app lists I found when I first got my Touchpad sucked. And I agree with whocares69, Comic Shelf HD should be on that list and I'd say every other list as well. That's why I bought my Touchpad in the first place.
    grumble grumble. The forum ate my post.

Anyway, let's do our own best app list. Everything's from memory so some prices may need to be edited later.

1.Tapnote Pro $5 (?) - Dropbox syncing text editor with cursor left/right buttons. Can open multiple documents, each in their own card. Good conflict management. Buy the pro and if you've got a phone on the same WebOS account, you get that free too. Replaced ClassicNote on my Pre as all my text docs are synced now between PC, TP, Pre, and NookColor (use Epistle on Android for syncing text editor but not as good as TapNote)

2.Glimpse $2 (?)-- a multi-pane way of getting info. Great for reading twitter & RSS feeds. Actually makes RSS feeds that only have summaries easier as you can launch full article in a browser pane. Even better when it's Advanced Browser.

3.Advanced Browser - $2 (?)--(works with Glimpse) Tabs, background loading, awesome.

4.Spaz - multicolumn twitter goodness

5.Internalz (Pro is awesome via Preware) File manager, text editor. Pro gives access to system files and can install patches.

6.Preware Documentation -tells you how to get Preware

7.Grupo -Free- for checking multiple cities' Groupon quickly

8.Comics HD -Free- great webcomic reader

9. USA Today -Free- yeah, semi-fluffy stories but great to read over breakfast

10. New Republic - Like USA today but an aggregator. Tons of articles.

11. Data Manager -$5- it's like all the list apps rolled into one relational database. Need a CD catalog? Make it. How about a recipe list? Done.

12. GraphCalc (TruGraphcalc?)- Free - graphing calculator with formulas new to catalog. A little tricky to use at first (delete/backspace is in upper left) but a good app.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Glimpse for $2 where it shows up for $10 in the apps catalog...

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities