View Poll Results: As a Developer or Potential Developer will you?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continue to support the webOS community/create apps?

16 88.89%
  • Leave the community to move to another ecosystem?

1 5.56%
  • Create apps across multiple platforms including webOS?

5 27.78%
  • Create/Port apps to the webOS platform in the near future?

5 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By drimo
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys, of course I got a tab in the firesale and my family and I love it!

Questions that I think should be answered:

1) Will you continue to support the new community?

2) If so, what current projects are you working on and what is the ETA?

3) Have you notices a spike in sales and how will this effect your decisions to develop?

4) What do you feel webOS needs and how can you/your app fill that void?

5) IF you are not a webOS dev will you consider porting an app to this ecosystem?

6) What can the consumers like me do to assist?

7) Everyone who touches the tablet is hungry for apps, especially games. Any new ones?

8) If the problem is the quality of webOS tools can you collective petition HP for better?

9) Does Enyo help the current software landscape for webOS?

10) Predictions for the future? Sales of TouchPads/New webOS users? Sales of total number of apps/your apps? Total number of new apps on market in the next week/month/6 months/Year? Potential revenue. Future of webOS.

This info will not only help new consumers but may encourage other developers to make the leap to port their apps to webOS as well and further grow the ecosystem.

Also below is my take on the HP TouchPad as a brand new user.

Excellent family friendly OS with a homebrew and hacking community similar to Android which I have been a huge fan of. I have hated Apple for the simplicity and locked down/dumbed down OS which seems to tell users what features they do and dont need but still love their intuitive OS. Loved android for its open network and flexible software but have recently moved away from it as its become a literal free-for-all in the market and the the UI is more tech-oriented and not as family-friendly or refined.. I briefly looked at Windows Phone 7 only to be turned off by it limited hardware specs at the time of launch and MSs stranglehold on the OS/hardware. My next phone was likely to be an Android phone and my next tablet was almost certainly going to be the iPad 2 (currently rocking a Galaxy Tab 7)

Demographics: I feel I represent the target audience, middle-class, educated. Family with one young child. Slightly tech aware parents, etc.

I PURCHASE APPS. Primarily games, cookbooks, remote desktop apps. I have netflix for my family and rarely rent/purchase digital content unless I cant get it in physical form. I.E. Better off Ted season 1&2 for $12 on Amazon on Demand.

Anyway. I want to say to all devs, I regular purchase Gameloft games and happily pay that price because of the quality. I am not looking for a free lunch here just a good quality lunch for my money and my family.
    Multiple questions of that magnitude might get more response in separate threads for each question.

Also, there is no guarantee that the answers you get will accurately predict the future.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
    Multiple questions of that magnitude might get more response in separate threads for each question.

Also, there is no guarantee that the answers you get will accurately predict the future.
    I think its better to have as much as possible in one place to devs dont have to reply to 10 different threads. Plus Im not looking to get a 100% accurate prediction but If youre in marketing and you ask potential customers if they would buy a product and they say no. Theres a good chance 90% of them wouldnt...
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I'm in a holding pattern with my webOS app development. If a hardware manufacturer licenses webOS that would make a big difference. Otherwise it really doesn't pay.

I may continue development for personal enjoyment using the TouchPad.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    on twitter developers have reported huge spikes in app sales.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    I'm in a holding pattern with my webOS app development. If a hardware manufacturer licenses webOS that would make a big difference. Otherwise it really doesn't pay.

I may continue development for personal enjoyment using the TouchPad.
    Totally agree with you, so if webOS were to announce 1-2 new partners. Those being HTC and Samsung and a few smaller foreign device manufacturers this week or next, how would that affect your decision and development cycle/initatives?

Basically with news like that mentioned above how soon do you think you would be motivated to get a new app/product into the app catalog?
    My apps are still works in progress. I'm a college student and I'm working on apps that would have helped me with calc etc...
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

"Continue to support the webOS community/create apps?"

These are two different things. Continuing to support my apps... Yes. Creating new apps... Not at this time. Not until HP can show with good faith webOS is not going away. Actions speak louder than words.
    nyuepik likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by drimo View Post
    "Continue to support the webOS community/create apps?"

These are two different things. Continuing to support my apps... Yes. Creating new apps... Not at this time. Not until HP can show with good faith webOS is not going away. Actions speak louder than words.
    I agree and intended to make the distinction with the last option which appears no one has yet really selected.... again sorry for the mix up
  10.    #10  
    Well so far, out of ~10 devs 90% will continue to support the community
    10% will leave. 25% say they will develop for both and another 25% will create/port new apps. I know this is VERY preliminary but I would say this tiny sample is probably close to how things will likely play out in the short-term. The commit to support of course hinging on HPs continued webOS support.
  11.    #11  
    Alright so considering the recent jumps in apps being available in the app catalog it looks like developers are staying true to the above and making apps!
    looks like webOS is down to 13 Dev's, what a shame.