Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By professionalbum
  • 1 Post By pebacher
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone - I am a new TouchPad owner and while I love the device, I am having some Gmail difficulties. I cannot get Gmail to load other than the basic/old UI and the mobile UI. It starts to load the standard UI but never quite finishes. Has anyone else seen this? Has anyone found a workaround? Are there any other browsers available yet for the TouchPad that might work better? I am surprised that I am having trouble with this most common website, given how well the browser does with embedded video and other content that can be more troublesome on tablets.

And to be clear: Yes, I know the Mail App and Synergy integrate Google/Gmail right into the device. While the Mail App has a great interface, it doesn't thread messages like Gmail does (which is quite helpful when you get the quantity I do), nor are any of the useful labs like multiple inbox, superstars, etc. accessible. And the notifications are great too - but not as important to me as getting the Google Mail view.

Getting Gmail to work in the browser (and remote desktop) is all I need to turn my new TouchPad into a super productivity tool!
    Haven't had an issue with gmail in browser. I use it on occasion to check google+
    sledge007 likes this.
    Hmm, should work. Tried the usual:

Restart
    Clear cache, history
    Restart router/modem

Lastly, try https://mail.google.com/mail/?labs=0. It will disable labs and experimental stuff possibly preventing a load.
    unfortunately that is a big problem w webOS, gmail server doesnt recognize TP as a computer or as a mobile device and doesnt load half the things. a work around is pinch and zoom in making it smaller or change orientation long ways, but that too only go that far. Another option is to search for the email you want. Another option is to load a mobile version of gmail. ugghh! you can also complain here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-behavior.html
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks everyone. I tried everything you have suggested with no success. Not sure what the issue is. I suppose I'm stuck with mobile view. :-(
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I use the built-in email app for both Exchange and gmail. It works great, looks great, and is the best way to go.
    mlkmade likes this.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pebacher View Post
    I use the built-in email app for both Exchange and gmail. It works great, looks great, and is the best way to go.
    How does that work with gmail labels?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pebacher View Post
    I am happy it works great for you! Unfortunately if you have grown accustom to the way Gmail combines messages into threads, color coded labels, etc. - the mail app is a step in the wrong direction. I agree is looks and works great, but I would love the option of viewing Gmail properly in the browser.

To answer the other question - labels in the Mail app are listed on the left hand side, as if they were folders. Not a bad implementation, certainly very usable.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried changing the user agent on the webos browser?

Lifehacker: How to Use Gmail's Attractive New Tablet-Friendly Interface on Your Regular Old Computer

I'm still waiting for my touchpad to arrive, so I can't try this yet. I'd be interested to see if someone can get this to load on the touchpad browser.
    I have been looking for a way to do this too. The method shown at the link in the previous post requires Firefox and as far as I know there isn't a version of Firefox that will run on WebOS. So I guess this isn't going to happen unless somebody has a way go spoof the user agent to make Google think your TouchPad is an iPad, or if Google changes their code to recognize the Touchpad as a touch device.
    so the solution is to... wait?
    if you go to this url http://mail.google.com/mail/mu you'll get the login to the google mobile mail (tried on IE, firefox, opera) but on the touchpad and veer it returns a 404 error. I did try the login with firefox and it indeed did take me to the mobile gmail. No need for user agent hacking.

If you try https://accounts.google.com/ServiceL...e&ltmpl=mobile which is what the basic mail/mu will initially take you to you do get the login screen on the touchpad but once you try to login you'll get a 404 error.

Not sure why google would deliver a 404 error only for the touchpad maybe the people who want to use this interface should contact google.
    Sent from my brain using my fingers
    I've also had issues with Gmail on the TouchPad browser. Doesn't really work as smooth as I would like. Sometimes the email message can't be scrolled down to if it extends past a single screen view.

I currently have it setup under the Mail app, but as JBellLion mentioned above, I am also looking for threaded support and labels.

My Gmail app for iPad is perfect. Too bad it will never see a port to webOS.

Any other suggestions on how to get Gmail working better on the TouchPad would be nice.
    Palm Pilot Pro > Palm IIIx > Palm m515 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre (Sprint) > TouchPad 32gb
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    you used to be able to use http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-touchpad.html but now it hasn't worked in a couple months. maybe throw your support in this topic. New look gmail interface does not work on HP Touchpad (WebOS) - Gmail Help

I doubt it'll help, but who knows.
    while gmail is loading clik the "html for slow connections", besides the native app this is the second best gmail experience on the touchpad.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    you used to be able to use http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-touchpad.html but now it hasn't worked in a couple months. maybe throw your support in this topic. New look gmail interface does not work on HP Touchpad (WebOS) - Gmail Help

I doubt it'll help, but who knows.
    Thanks, I also requested for Google to support the Touchpad as well in GMail. We can always hope.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I have found the GPortal application to handle gmail really well. The app also works good with other google features.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JBellLion View Post
    Hi everyone - I am a new TouchPad owner and while I love the device, I am having some Gmail difficulties. I cannot get Gmail to load other than the basic/old UI and the mobile UI. It starts to load the standard UI but never quite finishes. Has anyone else seen this?
    I just got a TouchPad (3.0.5) and I'm having the same problem. Going to gmail.com starts loading the page and says "Loading XXXX@gmail.com" and shows a progress bar. It' gets about 90% done and then hangs. Eventually it says "This is taking longer than usual" and offers a couple of options (trying again with Labs turned off didn't help). Trying it in Basic View works (switching from Basic to Standard view also results in a hang).

Trying the Hulu trick of changing the User Agent string doesn't seem to work.

---Ben