Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Now that we have 100's of thousands of TouchPad users, we need to petition the application developers to continue their app development.

Here is my list.

• Evernote - They announced developement. Let's let them know we still want it!
    • Netflix - There is only 1 million Roku Netflix users. 500k TouchPad users should be enough to encourage development. Even if its just a Queue player.
    • Quick Office - I'll even pay a little for it.
    • Boxee - Wouldn't this rule!

I'd be happy to pay for the apps. I just saved $400.. I have plenty of money to buy apps now. And so should everyone else.

There will be enough user base to make money.
    dmcccdmn likes this.
    Problem is that a few hunderd thousand users is not very many.
    Really? Compared to what? IOS? Right now webOS has to be a solid #2 ahead of Android. If you are a developer, you have to be considering developing for webOS if you have any financial sense at all.

Sure, you can develop for IOS, where you will no doubt have access to a glut of users, but your app will also be competing with MANY others in a diverse and mature app market. Or, you could also develop for webOS, where over the weekend alone, several hundreds of thousands of users have magically sprung up. You won't have the same exposure to the sheer number of users as you would had you developed in IOS, but the webOS app market is EXTREMELY sparse and the competition you face is virtually nonexistant. The likelyhood that your app will reach the eyeballs of the hundreds of thousands of new webOS users is much greater if you were to drop your app into the webOS marketplace than if you were to do so into the IOS marketplace.

Just look at the google trends for touchpad apps to get a general idea of the demand that must be out there now for touchpad apps. The potential IS there.

Google Trends: touchpad app
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    Really? Compared to what? IOS? Right now webOS has to be a solid #2 ahead of Android. If you are a developer, you have to be considering developing for webOS if you have any financial sense at all.

Sure, you can develop for IOS, where you will no doubt have access to a glut of users, but your app will also be competing with MANY others in a diverse and mature app market. Or, you could also develop for webOS, where over the weekend alone, several hundreds of thousands of users have magically sprung up. You won't have the same exposure to the sheer number of users as you would had you developed in IOS, but the webOS app market is EXTREMELY sparse and the competition you face is virtually nonexistant. The likelyhood that your app will reach the eyeballs of the hundreds of thousands of new webOS users is much greater if you were to drop your app into the webOS marketplace than if you were to do so into the IOS marketplace.

Just look at the google trends for touchpad apps to get a general idea of the demand that must be out there now for touchpad apps. The potential IS there.

This explanation should be cleaned up and emailed to all webOS developers and developers of the main apps that is said to have held webOS back. If its about number of users, there isn't a better platform at the moment than webOS to make that money with practically NO competition.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Not sure where people are getting this numbers. 500k touchpads sold? right.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Dantedrac likes this.
    Lucidlore: You have a great point of less competition.

If a developer sees no substitute app on a very widespread app that many people would buy, I could see it making a great amount of money with webOS now. It doesn't hurt that it's easier to write apps in webOS too IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    I believe 500k is an accurate if not lowball estimate. Consider this:

1) BestBuy was reported to have 250k touchpads still in stock. They ran out within the first day of the firesale.

2) There is a legendary thread on the slickdeals forum right now that is tracking the touchpad sales. This thread had, at last check, over 4 million views. Every time a link to an online retailer is posted on that thread, their website gets slammed and is slowed to a crawl, and usually their stock depletes in minutes. THIS IS STILL GOING ON.

I've been following this firesale since the weekend and I've never seen anything like it. Even now, it's extremely difficult to find the touchpad in stock for long.
    11B1P likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Yeah - the real number is bound to be MUCH higher than 500k.

USA? all sold out everywhere
    Europe? all sold out everywhere.

And remember - apparently Best Buy alone had 275.000 units. So unless you choose to believe that Best Buy had ~50% of the global production (which is ludicrous no matter how you look at it), the number of TouchPads sold is somewhere in the low millions.

Not all that bad.

Sure, developers don't currently know whether there will be any hardware in the future - but that may change soon as even well-respected mainstream news sites (like Stern in Germany) are reporting that Samsung is interested in licensing webOS.

If OEMs pick up webOS, developers are confronted with a platform that has millions of users on current-gen hardware that won't need replacing soon and that only stands to gain more users as next-gen hardware from more well-respected smartphone and tablet manufacturers than HP start to hit the market.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I was thinking 500-600k units from all the reports. But since I didn't have any sources, I didn't make a specific statement.

Despite the greater competition, a larger user base leads to a better chance of larger overall sales. There are a lot of variables that go into play when it comes to a mobile app store.

You're assuming that of the 500,000 Touchpad users (which the user base is finite, unlike other platforms that are still growing) that most will buy your application. The percentage of Touchpad users purchasing your app will likely be higher than the percentage on another platform, but that higher percentage doesn't mean more overall sales.

Let's just play with numbers here.. let's say right now, you were able to capture 30% of the total Touchpad user base right now, that's 150,000 total sales. If you were able to capture just 10% on say iOS, that's approximately 3 million or let's go smaller, 1%, that's 300,000.
    Last edited by barkerja; 08/22/2011 at 03:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    You also have to remember people are buying touchpads cheap, so more likely not going to buy apps. Also I am sure a lot of been returned before the price drop.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    I suspect that most TPs have been bought by people to couch surf the web and maybe check their email. If Apps were a priority they would have bought an iPad.

As for Android, I suspect there are more Android tablets in users hands than TPs and while Apple will continue to dominate, Android tablets could see significant growth in the next couple of years.
    Lets keep this in perspective shall we. The touchpad may be considered bought for "cheap" because the original price was 500 bucks. Regardless, people are still shelling out $100.00 + for it. Apps cost what, a few dollars? I see no logical reason why someone wouldn't be willing to shell out a few bucks for apps now that they have a touchpad to buy apps for. In fact, i guarantee that no mater how much you buy your touchpad for, you will buy some apps for it. People WANT to spend money on apps. The lack of apps to spend money on is, afterall, the one glaring weakness that the touchpad has.

Also, I am not saying that it would be more profitable to release an app on webOS than it would be on IOS. IOS has its plethora of apps and a good app released there will always make money. However, I believe that any developer that ignores webOS now after hundreds of thousands of users have appeared over 1 weekend is not making a sound financial decision. There is profit to be made here, and from preliminary reports of rocketing touchpad app sales, it would behoove any prudent developer to start developing for the touchpad and webOS.
    11B1P likes this.
    Lets keep this in perspective shall we. The touchpad may be considered bought for "cheap" because the original price was 500 bucks. Regardless, people are still shelling out $100.00 + for it. Apps cost what, a few dollars? I see no logical reason why someone wouldn't be willing to shell out a few bucks for apps now that they have a touchpad to buy apps for. In fact, i guarantee that no mater how much you buy your touchpad for, you will buy some apps for it. People WANT to spend money on apps. The lack of apps to spend money on is, afterall, the one glaring weakness that the touchpad has.

Also, I am not saying that it would be more profitable to release an app on webOS than it would be on IOS. IOS has its plethora of apps and a good app released there will always make money. However, I believe that any developer that ignores webOS now after hundreds of thousands of users have appeared over 1 weekend is not making a sound financial decision. There is profit to be made here, and from preliminary reports of rocketing touchpad app sales, it would behoove any prudent developer to start developing for the touchpad and webOS.
    Oh I don't dispute the fact that there's money to be made on the Touchpad, but the problem is, it's a limited amount. Developing a mobile app (a decent one) takes a lot of time and effort, especially if one doesn't already have an app (or one near being complete) then I don't see it being worthwhile.

How can you justify spending weeks (more like months) on developing an application that you know has a ceiling for profitability?

THIS. People got a crazy deal on the device, no reason why they wouldn't shell out $50 or even $100 in apps. Paid full price for mine and up to $50, give or take, in apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Oh I don't dispute the fact that there's money to be made on the Touchpad, but the problem is, it's a limited amount. Developing a mobile app (a decent one) takes a lot of time and effort, especially if one doesn't already have an app (or one near being complete) then I don't see it being worthwhile.

How can you justify spending weeks (more like months) on developing an application that you know has a ceiling for profitability?
    This is one of the very few good points that can be made against developing for webOS. There is much uncertainty in the future of webOS, as it is hard to say with any certainty what will happen with webOS even a month down the road. Whether it is worth it to work on any apps for webOS in spite of this uncertainty is certainly up to you as a developer because it is your time you are investing into the venture. The only thing i can say, and it seems we both agree, is that it would appear that for the short term, profit CAN be had here. Can you imagine being the first developer to release a webOS app that does doc editing? Whether you reap any sustainable profits in the future is certainly up in the air, but then such is true of most investments.

I would also say that if you are at all familiar with webOS, i would assume you like it and would like to see it succeed. This success is highly dependent on app diversity. I would hope that you are not motivated purely for profit reasons. WebOS can still survive despite HP's incompetence, but it can't do so without developers. I can't code for crap, so in this sense i can't support webOS. But i can sure spend money on apps once they become available -- and i will.
    barkerja likes this.
    Really? Compared to what? IOS? Right now webOS has to be a solid #2 ahead of Android.
    nope, not even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagbug View Post
    nope, not even close.
    Do you have numbers to back that up? According to Google's own data, only around 1.35M Android 3.x tablet devices are in active use. Even if WebOS is in the #3 position right now, it is surely "close"... certainly closer to Android than Android is to iOS.

There are numerous articles blabbering on about SHIPMENTS of Android tablets and virtually none trumpeting how may are actually sold.

Real Word Userbase est:
    iPad: 28M+
    "Android": 1.3M+
    Touchpad: 500k-1M???
    2) There is a legendary thread on the slickdeals forum right now that is tracking the touchpad sales. This thread had, at last check, over 4 million views. Every time a link to an online retailer is posted on that thread, their website gets slammed and is slowed to a crawl, and usually their stock depletes in minutes. THIS IS STILL GOING ON.
    Those 4 million views are NOT unique views, though. Every time someone refreshes a page, looks at a new post, makes one of their own, etc the number grows. It's still an impressive sight but the 4M views doesn't tell us anything beyond it being a popular thread.

Does the site give any data about how many viewers are online at any one time?
    Quote Originally Posted by weavesome View Post
    So, people spend money on apps based on how much they have left over after buying the tablet? I would much rather try to sell an app to people who paid $500 for a tablet than people who waited until a tablet was $100 to pull the trigger.
    understandable reasoning, worded like that however its a bit like saying a mans not worth knowing because hes poor.

some people couldnt afford it full price perhaps, but can afford cheaper and cheap apps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast