Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Oh I don't dispute the fact that there's money to be made on the Touchpad, but the problem is, it's a limited amount. Developing a mobile app (a decent one) takes a lot of time and effort, especially if one doesn't already have an app (or one near being complete) then I don't see it being worthwhile.

How can you justify spending weeks (more like months) on developing an application that you know has a ceiling for profitability?
    The game developers who are already on iOS should be looking into it given how easy it is supposed to be to port those games with the webOS PDK. IIRC, it was reported that Rovio took 2 days or less to port Angry Birds from iOS to webOS. If that's typical, why wouldn't they do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagbug View Post
    no one need numbers (I can look for them if you really want to look like a fool).
    You mean make Google look the fool? That 1.35M comes from their own data.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Do you have numbers to back that up? According to Google's own data, only around 1.35M Android 3.x tablet devices are in active use. Even if WebOS is in the #3 position right now, it is surely "close"... certainly closer to Android than Android is to iOS.

There are numerous articles blabbering on about SHIPMENTS of Android tablets and virtually none trumpeting how may are actually sold.

Real Word Userbase est:
    iPad: 28M+
    "Android": 1.3M+
    Touchpad: 500k-1M???
    You said Android not Android 3x tablets...
    I would prefer Android 2.2 or 2.3 to WebOS "unfinished" and "without support" that have now.

I could at least have apps to use (like a real PDF reader, it is very basic).
    I would prefer Android 2.2 or 2.3 to WebOS "unfinished" and "without support" that have now.

I was plainly talking about Android 3.x in that post and state as such in the very first line. 2.x might be good enough for you but I think it's horrid on a tablet and Google doesn't really track those installs. However, I have an extremely hard time imagining that Android 2.x tablets are selling better than 3.x models, either way.
    another fanbboyy... Who cares if its 2.3 or 3.x. Both are much better anyway.

Lets just compare Android vs WebOS for fun...
    Be my guest... You'll have to forgive me if I'm not invested. I was preparing to buy an iPad next month, until the HP Fire Sale hit. I buy what works for me, personally, not what you choose to evangelize to me about.

In any case, what is "better" is completely subjective and based on each person's needs and expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    The game developers who are already on iOS should be looking into it given how easy it is supposed to be to port those games with the webOS PDK. IIRC, it was reported that Rovio took 2 days or less to port Angry Birds from iOS to webOS. If that's typical, why wouldn't they do it?
    Good point. Some game developers could manage to make a quick buck with little effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    understandable reasoning, worded like that however its a bit like saying a mans not worth knowing because hes poor.

some people couldnt afford it full price perhaps, but can afford cheaper and cheap apps.
    It's wrong to assume most people base a purchase decision only on what they can afford. Lots of people buy stuff they can't afford.

On the other hand, I personally can easily *afford* a touchpad. What has been keeping me away is that I can't *justify* spending $500 on one. Once I have my touchpad at a price I can justify, it's not hard to justify spending the price of a Quarter Pounder with Cheese or a Starbucks coffee for an application...
    Page Plus Cellular - Talk Smart
    Palm M100 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > Palm Pro > Palm Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Problem is that a few hunderd thousand users is not very many.
    another problem is that I wager many of them won't be satisfied enough with the present state of things to stick with webos much past the 6-8 month mark. By that time the market will be more competitive and they would have had enough time to realize that begging for apps doesn't create them.

As of right now, I don't see incentive (aside from the sake of learning) that some one would want to put their coding time into webos apps just to please a bunch of people that bought the tablet because it was so cheap, or because they wish to partake of the challenge of slapping android on the device. Not because they thought it was decent or heard good things about it. It's simply a less significant financial risk and the current numbers and market flooding reflect that. It has nothing to do with the tablet and certainly doesn't speak of webos as a platform that can survive much longer as a portable OS as it once was.
    its certainly not a rich cash cow thats for sure compared to droid/ipads, but as mentioned in other posts theres the option many are buildign on which is the multiplatform compiling, create your app, and it will compile for droid/webos/ipad.

I'd hedge my bets on those being more suitable choices, that way you get your webOS port without even having to take any risks, you'd still have your droid/ipad versions to earn the mega /$$.
    still tho, its unfair to compare webOS which hasnt even been in customer and app dev's hands for even 2 months yet to the likes of droid/ipads, which have been out a tad longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    I was plainly talking about Android 3.x in that post and state as such in the very first line. 2.x might be good enough for you but I think it's horrid on a tablet and Google doesn't really track those installs. However, I have an extremely hard time imagining that Android 2.x tablets are selling better than 3.x models, either way.
    The Nook sold and still sells a pretty penny. Hopefully this infuse means i'll see more TP's in public. I mainly see Ipads and Galaxy Tab 10's with a few playbooks here and there.

why do people keep saying its unsupported and abandoned? HP has committed to supporting the OS on the touchpad, the veer, and other stuff in the future.
    need netflix app asap
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i support this idea
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12