1.    #1  
    OK, what sysadmin apps are there?

SSH client?
    SFTP?
    mySQL clients?
    VNC/RDP?

Thanks in advance.
    Check Preware for SSH, SFTP, Xserver, and the likes.you can also install packages from optware.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    okay, ssh isn't fuctinal without chrooted Ubunt as far as I know. Yes, preware has it, but this is the ssh server so you can ssh to your TP from you computer over USB. If you get an ssh client up then your only console is xterm which has some pretty serious issues - pre beta at best.

My recommendation for now is to do the chroot Ubuntu (there's a tutorial thread) and then you have linux and can install any tool you want. Downside is not everything works well without a mouse and the TP has no up-arrow, ctl, escape, etc. so still quite limited functionality for things like vi.

There is a telnet app in the app catalog if your systems are that insecure. The dev plans to add ssh to it at some point.

No VNC or RDP native. Only through linux.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    okay, ssh isn't fuctinal without chrooted Ubunt as far as I know. Yes, preware has it, but this is the ssh server so you can ssh to your TP from you computer over USB. If you get an ssh client up then your only console is xterm which has some pretty serious issues - pre beta at best.
    Actually SSH in preware is a both a client and a server and it totally functional without chroot ubuntu. Now Xterm is the only terminal on TP and is limited to the keys on the Virtual Keyboard(but it is that way even in the chroot ubuntu as well) and lack of scrolling. Depending on how much you plan on doing through a terminal Chroot Ubuntu might be the best option.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    Actually SSH in preware is a both a client and a server and it totally functional without chroot ubuntu. Now Xterm is the only terminal on TP and is limited to the keys on the Virtual Keyboard(but it is that way even in the chroot ubuntu as well) and lack of scrolling. Depending on how much you plan on doing through a terminal Chroot Ubuntu might be the best option.
    Uh...so how do you use the ssh client without a terminal?
    Xterm text goes past the virtual keyboard and is only reasonably stable with the beta develop ROM. No terminal = no ssh as it's not a webOS application.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    I added a scroll bar to Xterm so it never goes below the VKB. just add -sb to the xecutah.sh script and you have a scroll bar(right now only works to move it down, still an improvement). I am also working with the webos X dev to get a few more things implemented. If there is something you cant do, due to there not being an app or capabilities, why not contribute to the cause and help develop!

Feel free to help if you want it to work a specific way. IRC #webos-internals

Application:Xecutah - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I'd love to help but it's been over 20 years since I last coded anything and I have a small business to run. Where does xecutah store its script files?
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Doh!

I found xecutah.sh and then went to edit it...wow, haven't used hjkl to move around in years...added "-sb"...uh, no esc. Doh! Guess I have to do this from novaterm.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    hrmph. doesn't work through novaterm. says -sb not recognized or some such...too bad no man xterm
    Doh!

I found xecutah.sh and then went to edit it...wow, haven't used hjkl to move around in years...added "-sb"...uh, no esc. Doh! Guess I have to do this from novaterm.
    ha ha ha shift zz should work for vi. but you are right I had to do it through novaterm as well. I admit it is not a great terminal but it is the best nativeish terminal we have right now. lol
    hrmph. doesn't work through novaterm. says -sb not recognized or some such...too bad no man xterm
    hmm let me check my xecutah.sh for exact xterm options I used.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Thanks elpollodiablo1. LOL, the devil chicken.
    if you change the keyboard to XS you should be able to see the bottom of xterm.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    if you change the keyboard to XS you should be able to see the bottom of xterm.
    Yeah, I figured that much out...no scroll bars though?