webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Teleprompter for TP?
Teleprompter for TP?
Like Tree7Likes

Old 08/21/2011, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

I didn't even know about the app for the iPad, but while I was working today and waiting to come home to get my new 32Gb TP, I thought, "Hey, this could be perfect as a teleprompter!" Is there such an app for webOS, or does anyone know of a way to get similar scrolling functionality (must be automatic and variable speed) from another app?

Thanks!
Ptrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2011, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

not yet, but I keep hoping because I could use one, too.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2011, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

The only thing that I know of that's close is this:

Screamager - The retro-style LED message board

Maybe you can drop the developer a PM to see how difficult it would be to make a version that does what you're thinking of.
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2011, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'll develop it!

Missing Search for webOS + Drudge Report for webOS + @EdCrowza + @webOSinteract
Crowza is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007, blacktreerecordings and jake2600 like this.
Thanked By: blacktreerecordings
Old 08/22/2011, 12:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Screamager looks a bit too specific and overdone for a teleprompter. All it really would need would be the ability to load a text file, to possibly reverse the colors so the text is white on a dark background, to adjust the size of the font, and to scroll the text at a user-selectable speed, maybe with just a slider.

Crowza, still sound like something you'd be interested in? You could call it "TouchPrompter" .
Old 08/22/2011, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

@crowza sign me up for a copy! I can't count the number of times I could use a portable teleprompter. (I just got the touchpad and I've got to say its pretty freaking nice)
jake2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/23/2011, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptrope View Post
Screamager looks a bit too specific and overdone for a teleprompter. All it really would need would be the ability to load a text file, to possibly reverse the colors so the text is white on a dark background, to adjust the size of the font, and to scroll the text at a user-selectable speed, maybe with just a slider.

Crowza, still sound like something you'd be interested in? You could call it "TouchPrompter" .
This is *exactly* what I was thinking. I'll start on it tonight.

Old 08/23/2011, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

You da man, Crowza! Looking forward to it!
Old 09/11/2011, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have no idea how long it takes to develop a webOS app like this, but I'd love to hear how its going!
Old 09/11/2011, 06:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

In similar question. Is there filmmaking related apps, like slate, call sheet, storyboard or scriptwriting apps?
Mdifilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jake2600 likes this.
Old 09/12/2011, 09:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake2600 View Post
I have no idea how long it takes to develop a webOS app like this, but I'd love to hear how its going!
It's coming along well. I just have to push a major release update for Missing Search next, and then a minor feature enhancement for Drudge Report second, then it'll be on to releasing it.

Right now, I have it scrolling text, and basic functionality is working. Currently, I have not yet implemented the ability to change colors, fonts or sizes. That will definitely be done before it comes out though.

My biggest stumbling block so far? How to get the text you want to display. It would be easy to put a text box and use the content from that. But, who wants to type an entire script on the TouchPad? I figure most people would want to the ability to load a text file from Box.net or DropBox, and then possibly parse it from there.

I really like the Typewriter Beta application and the way it does markup language. Should we attempt to implement something like that? Should we attempt to implement a cross application solution?

How will you want to use it? Anyone have any ideas?

Old 09/12/2011, 10:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

For a good example, you should look at ProPrompter for the Iphone/ Ipad.

Reviews | ProPrompter | Bodelin Technologies
barrysanders20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2011, 11:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

Sounds like it's coming right along!

I would definitely say it would work best being able to load a text file, with or without markup - I know this may make it harder to code, but if it can respond to the wireless keyboard, using the up or down keys to increase/decrease speed, that's a way to remotely control it that doesn't have to have a wheel reinvented (I don't know, though, what the range is on the keyboard - it doesn't appear to be more than about 3 feet).

EDIT: Just glanced at the link above; lots of functionality on display - hadn't really thought of it as a clapboard, for example. The iPhone functionality looks good, too, but I'd think a Pre's screen wouldn't be large enough to make that practical (at least not more than about 5' - 6' away; too bad HP never gave the 'go' on the "Go," huh? ;-) ). Haven't watched the videos yet, but just from the screen shots, I'm leaning toward the reversed text as the easier version to read.

Okay, just watched the first video and see that the clapboard and prompter are different apps - good thing! Something tells me we won't be seeing scriptwriting software for the TP for a long time, though ...

Last edited by Ptrope; 09/12/2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09/12/2011, 05:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm keen to see this available as well, I'd be using it in the education sector for pupils to be able to learn the process of reading from an autocue (teleprompter). Would be will to pay a small fee for it.

One feature I think would be cool is a bar down the side that allows you to speed up/down the rate of scrolling briefly.

Loading a doc is a nice idea, but copy/paste isn't too difficult.
GBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2011, 08:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

How about this - EasyPrompter

I have used this one before and works very well, have used with a Tablet PC, and an iPad and now successfully on a Touchpad.

Easy to use and controls are on-screen with Touchpad, increase/decrease text size, increase/decrease speed of scroll, pause/start, even got an onscreen timer, can do all caps, and flip text and best of all has a portable version so it can be used without an active net connection (unsure how this would work on touchpad? - can html file be stored and loaded from a dir like the media/home dir?) - the portable version is kinda neat looking.

Or Free online teleprompter. although doesn't work that well on touchpad

There are other javascript/html teleprompters on the web, doing a simple Google search will give you lots of results although EasyPromper is about one of the best I've come across!
me101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2011, 08:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

+1 for interest in this app!
timtlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2011, 09:40 AM   #17 (permalink)

agreed, loading a plain txt file works for me. The markups from typewriter beta sounds perfect, I work at a tv station and each part of the script has a different style.

bold, highlighted, italic, quotes, those are the only ones I've noticed in heavy use.

definitely need to be able to reverse the text. But that can come after the beta (I'm willing to test!)

off topic-Bluetooth range is about 15 feet, and the keyboard will work, but an analog input like a foot pedal will be ten times better. Though I don't know if the touchpad has Bluetooth serial service, anyone know? (that can be in the pro version )
Old 09/13/2011, 09:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Any way to configure it almost karaoke style? In large type?

I currently throw my TouchPad up on a sheet music stand, and pull up a webpage of lyrics, and play my guitar....but I kind of need to be standing in front of it. If there's a way that you could make it display lyrics, when they're supposed to.....

Just an idea, that I think would be awesome
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2011, 12:29 AM   #19 (permalink)

I'm very much interested in this app. Hope to see it soon.
Chris_v000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2011, 10:33 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDIFILM View Post
In similar question. Is there filmmaking related apps, like slate, call sheet, storyboard or scriptwriting apps?
Not one of the ones you mentioned, but there is a great timecode calculator in the catalog.
govotsos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teleprompter

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0