Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #1  
    This sounds just baffling to me..Coming from having used an Archos 101 running android 2.2, I just ordered 3 of these for myself and family, all of us under the expected pretense we would be getting a lot of school and work productivity stuff done, since the market for games is extremely limited. Does google docs work offline? This is really just completely ridiculous to think I can't type something out on an originally $500 device and have that text make its way to my computer or printer.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quickoffice will read office docs but not edit yet. Google docs and office live should work. Then you have typewriter as well as a host of calculator and note taking apps. Or you can setup an ubuntu partition and just run libre office.
    It's coming in the near future I'm sure. but who knows. Either way for 100 bucks you will not find a better tablet. lol.

welcome to the world of webos, it's a waiting game.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    It is called researching before buying. The word processor available can only read, no news on the editable version. Given that the Touchpad is dead, I am assuming it won't ever come.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    several typewriter apps that create text files that you can email
    There are basic word processors in the app catalog. You can type something out and have it make its way to your computer or printer.
  8.    #8  
    Will quickoffice have powerpoint support?
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthes View Post
    This sounds just baffling to me..Coming from having used an Archos 101 running android 2.2, I just ordered 3 of these for myself and family, all of us under the expected pretense we would be getting a lot of school and work productivity stuff done, since the market for games is extremely limited. Does google docs work offline? This is really just completely ridiculous to think I can't type something out on an originally $500 device and have that text make its way to my computer or printer.
    if youve read any of the news posts youll see that the device hasnt even been out 2 months, not a lot of time for the devs to get their own functioning/non software emulated touchpads and learn any extras.

90.0% of the apps have nothing to do with HP and everythign to do with the home programmer, the other 10% probably from proper software houses making conversions/ports.

its gonna take time, atm we have linux to hold us over.
    http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7379/latestsnap.png

for calc/word/etc etc

its a filler in till we get (maybe) the real deal.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    if youve read any of the news posts youll see that the device hasnt even been out 2 months, not a lot of time for the devs to get their own functioning/non software emulated touchpads and learn any extras.

90.0% of the apps have nothing to do with HP and everythign to do with the home programmer, the other 10% probably from proper software houses making conversions/ports.

its gonna take time, atm we have linux to hold us over.
    http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7379/latestsnap.png

for calc/word/etc etc

its a filler in till we get (maybe) the real deal.
    That post was 90.0% legible.

I don't care for linux, and don't plan on explaining my rather computer illiterate family how to work it just to type something out, and I'm well aware of how long the device has been out. My point was there isn't any kind of dedicated word processor, and all that leaves us with is a promise from quickoffice that seems pretty dang null as of now.

I don't care for linux, and don't plan on explaining my rather computer illiterate family how to work it just to type something out, and I'm well aware of how long the device has been out. My point was there isn't any kind of dedicated word processor, and all that leaves us with is a promise from quickoffice that seems pretty dang null as of now.
    welcome to the land of broken promises courtesy of HP I've been here a while. If you bought your tp's for doc editing you took a big risk. It'll probably never happen.

Ya, but hopefully with the influx of users it will put a fire under their buts. There are reasons why it was 99 dollars.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    This is one of HP's big failures. Both QuickOffice and Picsel SmartOffice were in development, but may never be finished thanks to HP's CEO. I use typewriter to write documents and it words well for me. Nothing sophisticated of course. Others use Google docs but it's online only. I also have Libre Office on my Ubuntu Chroot, but I haven't really used it much. In all honesty I never do any word processing on my iPad2 either and I have the whole iWork suite on it...for me tablets are email, surfing, movies on long flights and remote system admin which I can do using Linux and ssh finally.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    It's coming in the near future I'm sure. but who knows. Either way for 100 bucks you will not find a better tablet. lol.

welcome to the world of webos, it's a waiting game.
    You're sure? Wow, you webos junkies really should try applying this sort of tenacious optimism to some thing of real world value within your immediate sphere of influence.

The world of webos involves sticking your head in the sand and hoping the empty corporate promises actually mean something. An operating system and ecosystem can't survive on it's "potential" this long and eventually not meet it's end.
    Quote Originally Posted by observator View Post
    You're sure? Wow, you webos junkies really should try applying this sort of tenacious optimism to some thing of real world value within your immediate sphere of influence.

The world of webos involves sticking your head in the sand and hoping the empty corporate promises actually mean something. An operating system and ecosystem can't survive on it's "potential" this long and eventually not meet it's end.
    How's about this then:

I have NO need for word processing/spreadsheet applications on the TP, at all, and neither do those who I know that own it.

The TP, right out of the box, works terrific and suits me and my needs just fine, thankyou:

Web surfing everywhere, including Flash
    The best on screen keyboard of any tablet I have tried
    Email on steroids
    Video conferencing via Skype
    Multitasking like nobody's business
    Touchstone charging
    Movies
    Music
    Online book purchases and reading on the go

And MY head isnt buried in the sand, trust me.

sigh
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by observator View Post
    Quickoffice twitted "no changes here for now"

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    my head is also above ground...I have multiple great laptops, a few smartphones (including my favorite, the Veer), and iPad 2 and a TouchPad. For me the TP is the most fun to use though I readily admit the iPad 2 has more functionality...preware is awesome and imho better then the ios jailbreak community. It's not religion or even picking sides for me, these things (tablets) are 90% toy and 10% utility for most users. Sure I can edit a PowerPoint (sort of with graphical issues) in pages on my iPad2, but I'd rather use my MacBook pro...anyways...
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Hopefully the production versions of Typewriter and Notes+ will be uploaded to the App catalog soon. They would handle lots of the simple tasks.
    Typo Lad likes this.

aye its nto a great solution just saying atm, thats all we have im afraid.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Quickoffice twitted "no changes here for now"
    where did you see that?
    only tweet I saw was they will support their users, blah blah.
    I want Picsel smart office too
    larsoles likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast