Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61
Like Tree20Likes
  1. Benn00's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    #21  
    I know this is about native word processors but I just tried Google Docs and it works great in the browser. Seems as good as any ol app writer
  2.    #22  
    That'll be good for a lot of what I do, but you really lose the portability when you require a constant internet connection.
  3. #23  
    Quickoffice's web site says very little about webos -- my suggestion is to follow them on twitter @quickoffice and let them know that we would love a working APP with doc editing -- the way things were unless they are clarvoyant they did not know the hokey crap HP was going to pull and were working hard to finish the update promised
    contact them at Quickoffice Home and let them know we still want it

    also sign up for their webOS news letter -- an increase in followership will let them know that there is a customer based there alive and well
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

    Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

    My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
  4. #24  
    HP isn't dropping the software side of the TP, so I guess it's--with a grain of salt--almost safe to assume they'll keep their word of releasing it before the end of summer if no later. Supposedly they had the app almost done anyways, so no reason to let it go to waste.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titano View Post
    HP isn't dropping the software side of the TP, so I guess it's--with a grain of salt--almost safe to assume they'll keep their word of releasing it before the end of summer if no later. Supposedly they had the app almost done anyways, so no reason to let it go to waste.
    thats just lip service incase they manage to find some lemon to sell/licence it too after their terrible fiasco to date.
  6. #26  
    Tadaa...
    Attached Images Attached Images
  7. #27  
  8. #28  
    Both ZoHo and Google Docs seem a little complex and sluggish on the TouchPad browser. I'm already investigating what it might take to write a native RTF editor, but in the meantime what interest would there be for a simple web-based RTF editor with minimal commands such as font style, bold, italic, underline, etc...? I was just looking through the webOS touch events examples and I think I could probably whip something up that would let you at least create a new document and then download it as an RTF file when you're finished editing. Not sure how you'd upload to edit again though... still investigating that part.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboladdade View Post
    Both ZoHo and Google Docs seem a little complex and sluggish on the TouchPad browser. I'm already investigating what it might take to write a native RTF editor, but in the meantime what interest would there be for a simple web-based RTF editor with minimal commands such as font style, bold, italic, underline, etc...? I was just looking through the webOS touch events examples and I think I could probably whip something up that would let you at least create a new document and then download it as an RTF file when you're finished editing. Not sure how you'd upload to edit again though... still investigating that part.
    rtf is usually what i use for a simple doc anyway, its pretty much a basic universal standard anyways, then just finish it off in msoffice/openoffice or now also libreoffice.

    as for upload/edits, we all have access to our free box.net, perhaps it can utilise that, our TPad has access and pretty much any web enabled pc does as well, failign that theres local storage and simply emailing the results afterwards.

    its not like it would be a bad thing you making a native "made to suit" app like that, you can still expand on it later if you desired after your first goal was achieved.

    id certainly aquire a native editor like that, beats wrestling with linux.
  10.    #30  
    ZoHo actually looks pretty cool, if it actually has functioning offline mode.. Could I work completely offline and export to word when I'm done?
  11. #31  
    Hmm I think I might pursue this.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthes View Post
    ZoHo actually looks pretty cool, if it actually has functioning offline mode.. Could I work completely offline and export to word when I'm done?
    fully cloud/online only and only saves to their online cloud, "save as" wouldnt yield a prompt to let me save locally.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboladdade View Post
    Hmm I think I might pursue this.
    perhaps make a specific post on that subject/app idea, see if others are also interested, esp if you ever went beyond the rtf idea and expanded it afterwards, ofc it depends as well if we do get the eventual commercial apps that were being made.

    could be a waste of your tiem if they do arrive soon(tm), but then again if you didnt and they dont come, meh its a tough call (id feel a total **** if i pushed a dev/your opinion towards making 1 then the others landed making their effort futile), again maybe see what others think.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    perhaps make a specific post on that subject/app idea, see if others are also interested, esp if you ever went beyond the rtf idea and expanded it afterwards, ofc it depends as well if we do get the eventual commercial apps that were being made.

    could be a waste of your tiem if they do arrive soon(tm), but then again if you didnt and they dont come, meh its a tough call (id feel a total **** if i pushed a dev/your opinion towards making 1 then the others landed making their effort futile), again maybe see what others think.
    Thank you for that considerate concern. I think the direction I'm going here is making a basic one free for all to use and enjoy. A few evenings of programming won't be a waste of my time since I enjoy doing stuff like this. I have to research it a bit more first, and I'll have to save that for tomorrow. I've literally wasted my entire weekend on all this, first buying a TouchPad then diving in head-first into everything webOS!
    Bodob, geekpeter, Titan078 and 1 others like this.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboladdade View Post
    Thank you for that considerate concern. I think the direction I'm going here is making a basic one free for all to use and enjoy. A few evenings of programming won't be a waste of my time since I enjoy doing stuff like this. I have to research it a bit more first, and I'll have to save that for tomorrow. I've literally wasted my entire weekend on all this, first buying a TouchPad then diving in head-first into everything webOS!
    then u sir are a legend

    addition: your avatar pic/pose looks awesome, its just missing the hand near the chin kind of pose (deep thought / pondering mysteries etc).
    Last edited by geekpeter; 08/22/2011 at 12:18 AM.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboladdade View Post
    ... I've literally wasted my entire weekend on all this, first buying a TouchPad then diving in head-first into everything webOS!
    sounds familiar my friend & thanks for helping out WebOS :-)
    geekpeter likes this.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
    sounds familiar my friend & thanks for helping out WebOS :-)
    thanked and liked you for 2 reasons, you speak the truth, but more importantly your amiga avatar makes me moist
    klx300r likes this.
  18. #38  
    There is obviously a lot of interest in having a word processor since people are already trying to go to pretty extreme lengths to have a WP on their touchpads:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...-touchpad.html

    A nice RTF editor would be good to hold us over for a while.

    Welcome to all the noobs.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by intron View Post
    A nice RTF editor would be good to hold us over for a while.
    I'd say Pages is iPad's killer app IMHO. I've been using iWork exclusively since Apple first unveiled it for Macintosh back in like 2005, then pretty much did a backflip when it appeared on iPad in such a shockingly robust form. If you haven't used it, trust me, it's amazing (both the Mac and iOS versions). I'd peg it midway between Word and InDesign.

    It's a shame that, so far as I can tell, webOS is yet to boast even the most basic of word processors. In my two days with my TouchPad, this is the most glaring omission.

    I would love to make such a contribution, if I can.
    Dis likes this.
  20. #40  
    check this out:

    the power of homebrew, too bad they weren't marketed as one of the main features
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions