View Poll Results: Will you continue developing for webos ?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 60.53%
  • No

15 39.47%
  1.    #1  
    Webos devs, what will you do now ?

Us webos users need to know. You have our full support!
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    No one awake I guess. I'm not getting rid of my TP and have a few things know one has created that I'd love to have! For that matter, this poll is important to me since I'd love to know what the developers are thinking and many have already said they plan to continue development and support of webOS.

Why not, they've already made the investment of time, hardware, and probably have apps in the pipeline. I'm sure many will be like me and begin looking at easy migration options to other platforms, but doesn't mean you can't develop using Phonegap or other programming interfaces that allow porting easily from one interface to the next. Sorli...
    At this point, I can't see a clear justification to continue on. As I have pointed out many times, there are major bugs in the core OS that make developing for WebOS a very unpleasant experience. Prior to yesterday's announcement, I could at least hold out hope that over time those bugs would get fixed. But now, I have no faith that there will be any improvement where there needs to be improvement.

The dev team has shown repeatedly that they know JavaScript really well, but don't understand the basics of writing an OS. Absent some major new blood, that won't change.
  4. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I only have 1 app out but am willing to keep updating it as needed. I was working on others, but am not sure if there will be anyone around to play with them.

I am tempted to make my app free so everyone can enjoy it for the time left...not that I had many sales anyway. It was a niche app.

I assume I am like the others. Need to know what platform I will end up on to decide where to make apps.
    It would help to know where the webOS faithful are going to help decide where I should go develop.

So where are you going?
    Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    I only have 1 app out but am willing to keep updating it as needed. I was working on others, but am not sure if there will be anyone around to play with them.

I am tempted to make my app free so everyone can enjoy it for the time left...not that I had many sales anyway. It was a niche app.

I assume I am like the others. Need to know what platform I will end up on to decide where to make apps.
    It would help to know where the webOS faithful are going to help decide where I should go develop.

So where are you going?
    windows phone 7

So where are you going?
    Whats the name of the app?
  7. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Then maybe the correct route IS the software suites/solutions where your code IS useable and compileable on multiple platforms, it means you reach the already set market where you face a lot of competition as well as the app starved webOS.

Devs would get their better chance at making money and would co-incidentally bump up the webOS app quantity and quality indirectly.
  9. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Yeah that's a really good idea. It is easier to make apps for a device you use everyday, but doing a PhoneGap solution might be a good solution.
    Get exposure to new plateform and keep giving new/updated software to webOS.
    Yeah that's a really good idea. It is easier to make apps for a device you use everyday, but doing a PhoneGap solution might be a good solution.
    Get exposure to new plateform and keep giving new/updated software to webOS.
    +1

I think It would be real big if alot of the Webos devs started working on Android and WP7 while still updating the webos stuff.

My reasoning behind this is WP7 still needs lots of support and Android is a place that has a decent number of apps but can still benefit from more. Both these platforms are more Viable than ios as both these groups support Indy devs and its far easier to grab a loyal fanbase with them than ios. (see Mahtweets or Locomo Labs)

Also for touchpad devs you have a free open range over at HC which is in sore needs of apps.

But before any of this I'd say give it a week to a month to where Webos is going.
    i have not clue if WebOS will continue. So, I voted yes just in "hopes" that it does.

ET

So where are you going?
    Wish I knew...I don't think webOS has an equal. I may just sit out the tablet revolution altogether. Although, if I had to choose, I would most likely go with Android perhaps the Asus Transformer (I've heard good things about it). I definitely will not get the iPad. iOS is not suitable platform for tablets in my humble opinion.
    So where are you going?
    webOS

I figure 2 years minimum left on webOS, I am really thinking about going after a Pre3 once all the cards drop (with the talk that the AT&T Pre3 being pulled once the price comes in my range I will get an EU Pre3). Pre3, TouchPad, and the current Veer could easily get 3 years outta it unless Android does something surprising.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    After returning the tablet, I am going to try and grab a EU Pre3 thats compatible with Verizon. If I have to FrankenPre it somehow, so be it.
    A tablet without webOS is rough, but a phone without it is not an option. I only use a handful of apps on my pre, but even without continuous support, it will still be more than enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitsnu View Post
    After returning the tablet, I am going to try and grab a EU Pre3 thats compatible with Verizon. If I have to FrankenPre it somehow, so be it.
    A tablet without webOS is rough, but a phone without it is not an option. I only use a handful of apps on my pre, but even without continuous support, it will still be more than enough for me.
    yeah, if you can find one that would work on verizon, please let us know.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitsnu View Post
    Neither are doable at all sorry.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Hi everyone, not a developer, but i was just wonder, is WebOS will be able to serve me for the next two-tree-five year in its current state? Or should i say is it a viable OS for the next few years in its current state?

Simple example would it be able to read new version of PDF?

What if i use it to read my mail can i eventually transfer those mail in five years or will they be stock on the Touch pad with no alternative to export?

If i need to read word document? or connect to the new Google +? Or use the latest skype version?

New HTML standard seem to emerge, how WebOs can cope with those new standards, we can think of the famous debate about reading SWF on the Ipad....

What will be the worst case scenario in the future for someone committing on the Touch pad\webos? Will i end up with a TouchPad calender device only?

Can the TouchPad run another OS?

Wonder if those who develop can answer those questions
    You should not expect the TouchPad to be updated to support any future standards. The home brew community will provide some updates around the edges, and you can install things to the underlying Linux OS, but the majority of the TouchPad's Software and Firmware is static at this point.
    Looks like HP made a good sell this AM. I as told an electronic store has 200 000 units and all of them are gone... at 100$/149$

I guess the only choice left will be Ipad.... not sure i wanted to commit to Android...
    Quote Originally Posted by msg_moi View Post
    I as told an electronic store has 200 000 units and all of them are gone...
    You got some bad/incomplete information there. Best Buy US pulled all TouchPad specific products some time around the announcement of the earnings, well before the fire sale.