Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    Serious if QuickOffice will do that I will happily keep my touchpad.
    Pillefuss likes this.
    na, why would they?
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    its not even worth the cost of doing it i'd bet.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Didn't QO promise they would have an editing version? If so, they should be obligated to finish...obligation means something to me...I can only hope it does to them.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I actually had a chat with a HP Rep on webOS mobile chat support a few days ago and they had told me that the update was done.. It was awaiting final approval (tests to ensure compatibility).

So the update may be the last HP will publish
    klx300r likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by marc25v View Post
    I actually had a chat with a HP Rep on webOS mobile chat support a few days ago and they had told me that the update was done.. It was awaiting final approval (tests to ensure compatibility).

So the update may be the last HP will publish
    If that's the case I will keep the Touchpad. I bought mine at Costco 2 weeks ago, they have a 90 return policy so I guess I can afford to wait a little bit to find out....I hope what you say is true. If it can edit documents I'm really happy as a clam with everything else. I don't need my touchpad to do anything beyond that.

I also submitted a "support" question to QuickOffice asking about this, doubtful they'll reply but I thought it was worth a shot.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    yeah I bought mine from Costco as well. I have until the end of September to return it.

And yeah I chatted with them 3 days ago. You can also try : open the help app and press Live chat on the bottom left.
    THEY are not dumping the OS, so we will still be getting WebOS updates, why does everyone think webOS is dead when HP announced they would not be making hardware. The OS is software not hardware.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Tweet from QuickOffice:

quickoffice (@quickoffice)

Posted Thursday 18th August 2011 from Twitlonger

TouchPad users - We do not have any additional information, other than what has publicly been announced, but we are dedicated to supporting our customers to the best of our ability and will post more information as soon as we can. Thank you!
    champiful likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    THEY are not dumping the OS, so we will still be getting WebOS updates, why does everyone think webOS is dead when HP announced they would not be making hardware. The OS is software not hardware.
    Because the modern computer market moves fast. The TP is already obsolete. Do you honestly think that there will be much more software support? That is a foolhardy belief.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    THEY are not dumping the OS, so we will still be getting WebOS updates, why does everyone think webOS is dead when HP announced they would not be making hardware.
    how much money do you expect HP to devote to updating a dead platform? Which programmers do you think will stick around to update webOS instead of jumping ship?
    I listened to the Q&A part of the Conference call today after seeing the announcement. On the Q3 Highlights slide it said “Exploring strategic alternatives for Personal Systems Group; shutting down operations for webOS devices and exploring strategic alternatives for webOS software”.

In the Q&A part they said very directly that they were not wanting to continue with webOS due to major losses.They said that they were looking into other strategies for the rest of PSG (PCs) including Spinning it off, Selling it, or maybe keeping it.

Today’s earnings report
    HP Investor Relations - Financial news

Press Release
    HP to Evaluate Strategic Alternatives for Personal Systems Group
    Hem likes this.
    What they said makes no sense.

Do you honestly think other manufacturers will help HP on this, after they shot themselves in the foot like this?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Tweet from QuickOffice:

quickoffice (@quickoffice)

Posted Thursday 18th August 2011 from Twitlonger

TouchPad users - We do not have any additional information, other than what has publicly been announced, but we are dedicated to supporting our customers to the best of our ability and will post more information as soon as we can. Thank you!
    This makes me extremely anxious. It sounds like they're not going to release the update after all. But then again it is a total non-answer.
    At this point everybody really should just stick to the "don't count on it" philosophy. If the device doesn't do what you need RIGHT NOW then you should return it.

There is not much hope in anybody filling in the gaps right now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Come play with my Twitter.
  16.    #16  
    I don't even care about the other apps. I just want the doc editting so bad. I bet it is indeed pretty much done, I'm just afraid they're going to be so lazy now that the plug has been pulled that they won't even bother releasing a finished patch. C'mon HP/QuickOffice, give me a parting gift of document editing and we'll call it even. That's all I wanted. :*-( I don't want to have to return this otherwise super fun tablet.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This is the problem for Quickoffice - let's say it's ready, normally it would go out, then people would find bugs and then they would issue updates but.... on a dead platform who wants the headache?
    Especially when it's promised to be a free update...
  19.    #19  
    I got a reply from QuickOffice's customer support:

"Thank you for your message.
    It's a big news for me too.
    I'll let you know our plans for Quickoffice editing release for TouchPad as soon as I get any feedback from our developers and product managers.
    I'll get in touch with you shortly.
    Thank you and have a great day."

Even if they don't release it I have to say I'm touched they actually took the the to personally write me back.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    That's nice - if it is actually finished, they might just put it out with a clear statement of no expectation of support. If it isn't finished, I'd expect them to kill it and break up the development team and put them on platforms that are viable.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast