Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
Like Tree29Likes
  1.    #1  
    its weird i still look at the other tablets and just look at them and think, even with no more touchpads arriving, i still dont like/want any of the other tablets, they werent what i wanted/liked beforehand and they still arent now.

    Its like the news of the touchpad translates to "your current touchpad will magically no longer be able to power on as of tomorrow", it still works, apps can still be made, they still run and tbh HP didnt make any of the apps themselves anyways, onyl hosted them, so even if everything carried on as normal not a lot would change.

    how many are keepign theirs? i have no choice im past the return time anyways and ill still use it for the web etc anyway, no big change for atm, does what i want, i have ubuntu+xfce4 + required additions etc.
    viper151 and riw like this.
  2. #2  
    Only people who's keeping their touchpad are people who can't return their tp.


    ---
    - Sent from Tapatalk
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Only people who's keeping their touchpad are people who can't return their tp.


    ---
    - Sent from Tapatalk
    Pretty much... and I love my Touchpad. But what's the point. I guarantee that not a single new app will hit the catalog from this point on. No developer is going to develop an app for a non-existent consumer base.

    Also, there goes waiting for QuickOffice, I doubt Doc Editing will ever be completed... this is BS.
    32Gb LG G2 - 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 / Cyanogenmod 10.1 (4.2.2) Dual Boot @ 1.8Ghz

    RETIRED:
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

    Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
  4. #4  
    If all HP wanted to say was "we're going to license out webOS so we don't have to worry about having to make the slimmest tablet anymore", they sure found the worst possible way to say it, the way that's most destructive to the platform at large.

    TouchPad sales not stellar? Now all of the ones that did sell are going back.
    webOS app numbers for tablets better than those on Android? Developers will probably stop work on Enyo stuff tonight because they know that all of the ones that did sell are going back, and because even if HP is finding a hardware manufacturer (for whom webOS is now less interesting because... all of the ones that did sell are going back), the future isn't looking as good as it did yesterday, when HP was still committed to running a marathon and not a sprint.

    It's tragic for me because I know the smartphone market well, and there is nothing on there that I want. Nothing. I'm not getting an Apple because I don't like their philosophy AND because my iPod was a finnicky piece of crap that made me realize that the only reason I bought it was because it was 'cool'. I don't want to get an Android phone because I don't trust Google. I don't like the way WP7 works and feels. BlackBerry is absolutely not for me either.

    webOS may be buggy and lacking developer support, but it is a delight to use and HP, while apparently in fact being run by people without a concept of the future, never struck me as the kind of company that says "don't be evil" with one face and "if you don't want us to know about something you're doing, don't do it" with the other, like Google is.

    So my options in the future may in fact be slim.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by CareandShare View Post
    Wow...you say Google is untrustworthy after seeing what HP pulled today?

    And make no mistake...I'm not trying to convert you to Android. But that's just stunning tunnelvision on your part.

    The good news is that every OS does what WebOS did, but does it differently. In some cases, they do it in a couple of different ways for you to choose from. So when you're ready to accept the reality of the situation, the smartphone market is more robust and filled with choice and price competition now than it's ever been.

    Be thankful for that. Be angry at HP. Be grateful for the homebrew cats.
    the part about "every os does what another does" is great and everything, but even in a Microsuck dominated pc market we still have linux/macos/tons of freebie stuff that can all "do the same thing" yet we arent all using the same thing in the pc world, the laptop world, the smartphone world, the console world etc, we each use what we consider best for us and for many webOS is best for us in the tablet world.
  6. #6  
    I'm keeping my touchpad.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by CareandShare View Post
    That's fine, but it's over. Use a Touchpad for as long as it powers up, if you like. Doesn't change the fact that it's gone, and you will need other devices someday. Look ahead.
    to be fair i wanted a tablet to sit in bed/in a chair/at work and read/watch something to keep me occupied, faff with linux and possibly do other minor things, i can do that so dont really need more, so i dont need to upgrade to newer thankfully, but yeah others will want to tho.
  8. #8  
    This brings up a real problem with going forward with cloud based synergy and profiles. It's one thing to have a cloud streaming or storing content.

    But the profile itself, that allows you to use the device, is housed somewhere, and if someone decides to turn it off, it's off.

    No longer the issue of just hanging with an EOL'd product, you now have a perfectly good product that doesn't work.
  9. #9  
    Precentral - Thank-you for all your hard work on behalf of PRE and WebOS. Though WebOS is an excellent platform it mere life thus far is because of your efforts. You created a vibrant support community.

    I hope you guys find a soft landing.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kcgil View Post
    Precentral - Thank-you for all your hard work on behalf of PRE and WebOS. Though WebOS is an excellent platform it mere life thus far is because of your efforts. You created a vibrant support community.

    I hope you guys find a soft landing.
    Indeed. This has been the best mobile community.
    32Gb LG G2 - 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 / Cyanogenmod 10.1 (4.2.2) Dual Boot @ 1.8Ghz

    RETIRED:
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

    Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
    pongpeeplus and TheDewWorm like this.
  11. joos519's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #11  
    As much as I wanted this tablet, I just cancelled my order. Now I wait for another tablet, nothing on the market can compare to what the TP is, too bad, I really wanted it, but realistically I can't have something that the makers won't even back up with apps and future enhancements.
    viper151 likes this.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    If all HP wanted to say was "we're going to license out webOS so we don't have to worry about having to make the slimmest tablet anymore", they sure found the worst possible way to say it, the way that's most destructive to the platform at large.

    TouchPad sales not stellar? Now all of the ones that did sell are going back.
    webOS app numbers for tablets better than those on Android? Developers will probably stop work on Enyo stuff tonight because they know that all of the ones that did sell are going back, and because even if HP is finding a hardware manufacturer (for whom webOS is now less interesting because... all of the ones that did sell are going back), the future isn't looking as good as it did yesterday, when HP was still committed to running a marathon and not a sprint.

    It's tragic for me because I know the smartphone market well, and there is nothing on there that I want. Nothing. I'm not getting an Apple because I don't like their philosophy AND because my iPod was a finnicky piece of crap that made me realize that the only reason I bought it was because it was 'cool'. I don't want to get an Android phone because I don't trust Google. I don't like the way WP7 works and feels. BlackBerry is absolutely not for me either.

    webOS may be buggy and lacking developer support, but it is a delight to use and HP, while apparently in fact being run by people without a concept of the future, never struck me as the kind of company that says "don't be evil" with one face and "if you don't want us to know about something you're doing, don't do it" with the other, like Google is.

    So my options in the future may in fact be slim.
    Agree with you 100%. I'm gonna wait to see if RIM can survive to make QNX phones. QNX is the closest thing to webOS anyway, plus RIM has a web-based SDK for native apps for the Playbook, so I'm assuming that will translate over to QNX phones (if/when they come out).

    All the news coming out today is a slap in the face to Hewlett and Packard, their family, and everyone working at HP. Clearly, like you said, they have no concept of future. They just want to maximize profits for the next quarter, and the next quarter after that, until they milk as much money out of this puppy as they can, then they'll find another company to trash and cash out.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  13. #13  
    I agree with "GodShapedHole". As a result we will be looking at other platforms. Our sales were declining before and now I would bet they will be non-existent.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    This brings up a real problem with going forward with cloud based synergy and profiles. It's one thing to have a cloud streaming or storing content.

    But the profile itself, that allows you to use the device, is housed somewhere, and if someone decides to turn it off, it's off.

    No longer the issue of just hanging with an EOL'd product, you now have a perfectly good product that doesn't work.
    It's a different market but Valve has always said that if they go belly up, they would unlock all purchased Steam games so that their customers wouldn't be left holding with a ton of unplayable titles. Hopefully HP does something similar with their profiles.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It's a different market but Valve has always said that if they go belly up, they would unlock all purchased Steam games so that their customers wouldn't be left holding with a ton of unplayable titles. Hopefully HP does something similar with their profiles.
    Ha... This is HP, that won't happen. Profiles will be gone and our products eventually won't work.

    WebOS will never be open-sourced either. HP spent $1.2 Billion dollars on Palm and WebOS. They'll never just donate $1.2billion to the public. They've lost all my respect.
    32Gb LG G2 - 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 / Cyanogenmod 10.1 (4.2.2) Dual Boot @ 1.8Ghz

    RETIRED:
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

    Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
    merphie likes this.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by merphie View Post
    I agree with "GodShapedHole". As a result we will be looking at other platforms. Our sales were declining before and now I would bet they will be non-existent.
    except for those spending their $50 promo code cash.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    except for those spending their $50 promo code cash.
    Yes, we will see just how much of an effect this will have. That money will run out soon.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
  18. johnsonbx's Avatar
    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by merphie View Post
    I agree with "GodShapedHole". As a result we will be looking at other platforms. Our sales were declining before and now I would bet they will be non-existent.
    I just sent you something with my credit, but I can't blame u.
  19. #19  
    My thoughts:

    1. Going to RIM is like going from one sinking ship to another.
    2. WebOS had it's last shot with HP and it didn't work out, blame and anger towards HP or anyone is just a waste of energy.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    My thoughts:

    1. Going to RIM is like going from one sinking ship to another.
    2. WebOS had it's last shot with HP and it didn't work out, blame and anger towards HP or anyone is just a waste of energy.
    I strongly disagree. Anger at HP is justified and we need to yell at them so those of us who have the device still are supported and compensated for being PUSHED OF A ************ CLIFF. Havent even gotten the 50$ credit and no word of that coming to canada.

    As for RIM, QNX may save them but it needs a lot of work and they need to move a lot faster. And I have to cheer for them, they are after all the Canadian player in the game. Though saying that dont care for any of their current devices.

    Honestly though, I`ll be somewhat consoled if we do end up getting document editing, if we dont I`m going to raise a real stink, well going to do that anyways but it will be bigger if I dont get my doc editing.
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions