Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    Where are we going now is the deal. I only wanted the touchpad. I still haven't cancelled my order and probably I'll get a pre 3 too but only because no other tablet can offer what pr3+tp can. I mean iphone exists for over 5 years and none has even created an app similar to sms sharing. Not even one like droidmessenger for android at least to see your sms from a browser. It was the only feature I really needed

Plus hp created such a good impression with the webOS on pc integrated with windows that I wanted that. I like seeing an ecosystme and hp was creating this thing. Apple is not there yet but with iOS 5 its coming close and google is just a f.... company that they have 100 of services that they can't integrate them together. I still have to login to youtube although I'm logged into my gmail. FFS
    It's tragic that Palm sold to HP. They should have went with another vendor. HP is a useless company. That being said, now modders can go nuts with the TP. I'll be up for installing any hack or mod to this thing now.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    My thoughts:

1. Going to RIM is like going from one sinking ship to another.
    2. WebOS had it's last shot with HP and it didn't work out, blame and anger towards HP or anyone is just a waste of energy.
    Having just got the HP Store to agree to take my beloved TPad back I'm with you here - the Playpad is neat but I'm just not sure RIM will stay with it. I'm a BB fan too I should add.

If you were a senior Exec in RIM with falling profits and excess Playpad inventory lying around and you see that an industry gorilla like HP is getting out of the tablet game cos iOS and Android are to big too compete with - what conclusion would you draw?

"If they can't see a profitable way forward - then neither can we" is the likely outcome. If you add the apparent reluctantance of Google to support licencees of the Android OS from litigation from Apple then the tablet market is in a bit of a mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    I mean iphone exists for over 5 years and none has even created an app similar to sms sharing. Not even one like droidmessenger for android at least to see your sms from a browser.
    For three of those five years what were you going to "share" it with?

I think the reason no one has done it is because it's kind of silly, esp when it is only between two devices used by the same person.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Only people who's keeping their touchpad are people who can't return their tp.
    Ironically the news made it *more* likely that I'll get a TP. ;-)

I wasn't much interested in a tablet - regardless of brand.
    But I like the TP better than the IPad or the current Android alternatives.

With HP killing webos devices the TP is going to drop even further in price.
    The biggest downside of the TP is limited app availability (which is now doomed not to grow - unless a quick takeover by Samsung re-invigorates it at the last second).

But I'm OK with the few apps there are (don't need doc editing on that). It's mostly a Browser device to me. So - for me - the TP *as is* is a good device and with a further price drop I might get it as an extra device to browse on.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    sorli likes this.
    Interesting questions and yes I agree...I'm keeping my TouchPad, but will have to look toward other options like running both webOS and Linux on the same system over time.

Actually, I also suspect someone will port Android Honeycomb or Gingerbread over the TP simply as a stop gap sooner then later. This should be possible with the right efforts and people knowing what to do and I'm certain it would work much better then running Android on rooted on my wife's Nook Color (800mhz single core, less RAM, less everything...).

The problem though (actually this is a BONUS), my TouchPad works and I have no reason to leave webOS and can continue my adventure till Apps or other support come to a stand still. Shame we can't boot webOS and Android on the same system...hmm! Sorli...
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I see on the developer forum that developers are already trying to pull their apps but the portal is not letting them do it - anyone developers here know any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    The problem though (actually this is a BONUS), my TouchPad works and I have no reason to leave webOS and can continue my adventure till Apps or other support come to a stand still. Shame we can't boot webOS and Android on the same system...hmm! Sorli...
    Actually - I don't see a fundamental reason why Android apps couldn't run within webos.
    Android - like webos runs on a linux kernel.
    Android apps run on the Dalvik VM - which is a variant of the Java VM. I don't know of a technical reason why that wouldn't run just fine on a webos device like the TP (after some tweaking).
    Most of the work would be writing an adapter that makes Android GUI calls use the webos equivalent and emulate any controls that webos doesn't already have.

I'm not saying that this can be written in an afternoon - but this is probably less a technical and more a licencing/IP issue.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    So I need to do some app shopping soon before the catalog ends up empty
    HP definitely disappointed us, and now I will be upgrading my laptop and future desktops to non-HP computers (I will probably not have a choice, as it seems they want out of the hardware business).

Too bad there arent any ecosystems that were as promising as webOS. If only JooJoo had a chance with their new grid system...
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Anger is justified. As a developer we have many people who paid money for the apps. We can't just leave them in the dust.
    Developer
    DigiKat Software Company
    Http://www.digikatsoftware.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicblue View Post
    If you were a senior Exec in RIM with falling profits and excess Playpad inventory lying around and you see that an industry gorilla like HP is getting out of the tablet game cos iOS and Android are to big too compete with - what conclusion would you draw?

"If they can't see a profitable way forward - then neither can we" is the likely outcome. If you add the apparent reluctantance of Google to support licencees of the Android OS from litigation from Apple then the tablet market is in a bit of a mess.
    I hear you , but thre is a significant difference of in terms of the number of devices/followers out thre. While RIM has suffered hugely over the past year (down to 25% of smartphone market share in May this year), Palm/HP WebOS has never been above 5%, and for all of this year has been part of the 4% comprising "Other" on most charts.

I am not a BB user, and never got fully comfortable with their interfaces... bugger and blast... now what??!!

russ
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Only people who's keeping their touchpad are people who can't return their tp.

---
    - Sent from Tapatalk
    I can return my TP, I DON'T want to though. The OS is still the best around. iOS sucks, but they bought the market and sucked up developers. Android is decent, but is missing standard WebOS functionality.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    I can return my TP, I DON'T want to though. The OS is still the best around. iOS sucks, but they bought the market and sucked up developers. Android is decent, but is missing standard WebOS functionality.
    It's your money I guess. But why not just return the TP and wait until the price drop? If you have bought it at $300, do you really think TouchPad won't drop under $300 within month? They got so much surplus left. Then again, goodluck with your expensive web browser.
    Last edited by passlogix; 08/19/2011 at 10:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    I strongly disagree. Anger at HP is justified and we need to yell at them so those of us who have the device still are supported and compensated for being PUSHED OF A ************ CLIFF. Havent even gotten the 50$ credit and no word of that coming to canada.

As for RIM, QNX may save them but it needs a lot of work and they need to move a lot faster. And I have to cheer for them, they are after all the Canadian player in the game. Though saying that dont care for any of their current devices.

Honestly though, I`ll be somewhat consoled if we do end up getting document editing, if we dont I`m going to raise a real stink, well going to do that anyways but it will be bigger if I dont get my doc editing.
    Nobody was "pushed off a cliff", we all knew the history and took a risk by going with the the new HP branded Palm. Anytime a new company or newly merged company launches a product you are taking a risk that it will work out.

You seem like you want to believe things will work out, like you wanted to believe HP should have continued with WebOS, "QNX will save RIM" and "We should get document editing"

All those are great things to want but in the real world you have to be prepared for things not to work out. A lot of people like me knew we were taking a risk but at the end of the day it's just a phone and not the end of the world. We also know that by moving to another platform with tons more support and choices is not a bad thing.

You can stay bitter and rant about the situation to anyone who will listen or jump in any of the inevitable class action suits bound to pop up but none of that will give you peace until you learn to accept that it's time to let go and embrace a new platform that you can call your own.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicblue View Post
    Having just got the HP Store to agree to take my beloved TPad back I'm with you here - the Playpad is neat but I'm just not sure RIM will stay with it. I'm a BB fan too I should add.

The only conclusion is that RIM's co-CEO's are still the largest shareholders of RIM --- they are going to fight till the bitter end. Whereas it was Mark Hurd's idea to buy Palm, not Leo's --- Leo has no reason to stick his neck out for an acquisition that wasn't his idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcgil View Post
    Precentral - Thank-you for all your hard work on behalf of PRE and WebOS. Though WebOS is an excellent platform it mere life thus far is because of your efforts. You created a vibrant support community.

I hope you guys find a soft landing.
    I'm getting all emotional now. I don't want to have to join the forum of another OS's fan site just to keep up to date on a new phone if I choose to switch over to a new OS (which will be when both my pixi pluses, my pre plus and my pre 2 die)...It just won't be the same without all of you who made precentral what it is! I believe webOS had the best community with its support for each other in times of need, and it sucks that we all had to go through this crap just to be "thrown away."

Cheers to all of you webOS fans, and lets hope theres at least some good news "in the coming months"...

My Palm History- Palm Pilot 5000> Palm V> m105> m130> Zire 71> Sony Clie TH55> TX> Centro> Pre Plus> Pixi Plus> Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityPre View Post
    Ha... This is HP, that won't happen. Profiles will be gone and our products eventually won't work.
    WRONG!!!!

HP can do what they want, my devices will be functioning just fine.

Not to mention to force products offline still under manufacturer warranty would cause a huge law suit.

So if August of next year (Pre3 just released in EU and 64 gig TP in US) they decide to shut down the profile servers because their contractual agreement is up, thanks to webosinternals my devices will all still function until I don't want them to any more.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I see on the developer forum that developers are already trying to pull their apps but the portal is not letting them do it - anyone developers here know any more?
    You may have seen this by now, but the portal was down. (has happened before)

Also someone mentioned today I believe that they got an app or app update approved by their dev relations contact.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    filed to return my touchpad to amazon, but i still have till monday so i am going to love it till it cries. that or me.

probably me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast