webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Robotek Rigged?
Robotek Rigged?
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11/20/2011, 10:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 8
mistaox,

Keep in mind that even in Multi-player mode, you are still playing the AI 75% of the time.

Also, yes, this game is definitely rigged. The fact that it is rigged does not bother as much as the fact that the rigging is so blatant and cheap.

Then again, Hexage is pretty much a sleazy company all the way around.
jmichc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2011, 11:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 3,341
But they make such ridiculously simple and addicting games...

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
__________________
Author:
Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2011, 11:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 8
eblade,

I agree.

And to me the potential this game had is what makes Hexage's shadiness an even greater shame.

What they did in this case is nothing short of pathetic.

I have spent hours playing Robotek, which I suppose is the reason I can really rag on it. I enjoy multi-player, when I am playing other human beings. If I appear to be playing the AI, and it rolls four or five triples in two or three rounds, I just forfeit and start again.

Something even worse than playing the AI, is playing people who actually gave Hexage money. When playing some of those guys, you'd better be braced for multiple unmaker omegas, and a high rate of triple hacks.

Example: I JUST got finished playing a game where I had two maxed out robots, and a maxed out shield. I also had over 400 points. My opponent (whom I suspect was either the AI, or a person who had paid Hexage money) had no robots, no shield and under 30 points. After two triple hacks in a row, he had both of my bots, then acquired a shield. The next round, he rolled triples on the shield, then triples on another robot, then rolled again to get two other robots. That was four triples in two turns. I lost. It's been like this over and over tonight.

Last edited by jmichc; 11/21/2011 at 02:45 AM.
jmichc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 04:33 AM   #24 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 3,341
It truly is possible to get really good at this game, it's not entirely random rolls. Remember that each wheel can be stopped by a touch to the screen. I've never managed to get any good at getting the second or third! wheel to stop where i want it to, but our kids are nearly adept at getting 1 and 2 to stop where they want it to.
__________________
Author:
Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 02:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 8
I am good at the game, but that has no bearing on whether or not it's rigged.

The game is imbalanced to the point of being ridiculous, and is clearly intended to "encourage" players to spend money.

Also, how bad a gamer does a person need to be, to feel that he/she needs to spend money in order to be able to compete?
jmichc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 02:55 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichc View Post
I am good at the game, but that has no bearing on whether or not it's rigged.

The game is imbalanced to the point of being ridiculous, and is clearly intended to "encourage" players to spend money.

Also, how bad a gamer does a person need to be, to feel that he/she needs to spend money in order to be able to compete?
thats pretty much the way gaming nowadays is going tho, pay to win/play, most online/webbased games are liek that (if their "free").
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 02:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 8
geekpeter,

I think you're right, I just think that's sad.
jmichc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 04:13 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 3
It took me about a month and a half and I beat the game. You don't have to pay a dime to play this game.

I did have to restart the game two or three times until I got the hang of it. Make sure and go for cities that have low numbers first since they will be the easiest. Always have droids and a shield up. Also when you get higher in points save for the nuke.

It's a fun game and not rigged at all. I wish the ending was more exiciting since there is nothing special about winning the game.
touchypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 04:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 48
I'm at level 18. Part of your strategy has to be about how to overcome those double/triple rolls. I've lost, maybe about 6-8 times. My strategy is to keep as many robots as possible, especially the ground one, because it's the most powerful. You also need to keep the shield up to allow the robots to upgrade. Then, hack extra robots if possible. I don't use my turns on laser/offense much unless I have a shield that can hold off an attack.

Think defense and you won't have to worry about offense.
marquezr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 09:47 PM   #30 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchypad View Post
It took me about a month and a half and I beat the game. You don't have to pay a dime to play this game.

I did have to restart the game two or three times until I got the hang of it. Make sure and go for cities that have low numbers first since they will be the easiest. Always have droids and a shield up. Also when you get higher in points save for the nuke.

It's a fun game and not rigged at all. I wish the ending was more exiciting since there is nothing special about winning the game.
And Dumbledore dies in the end. Grrr.
__________________
Author:
Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2011, 02:09 AM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 8
Touchypad,

It is not at all infrequent that the enemy gets triple after triple after triple, when the home team gets nearly none (or none at all). This is especially the case if one is playing the AI, or (what is probably) a human enemy who has done some in-app spending.

I suppose it is all how one defines the term 'rigged'. According to how I (and many others) define the term, what I just described to you above would be viewed as being blatantly rigged.
You may have your own definition of the term (which is fine by me), but I believe this game to be a very cheap shot at grabbing some cash.

But like I said, I do like the game a lot, especially when playing human opponents in multi-player mode. I'll just never give Hexage a single penny for this or any other game.

Last edited by jmichc; 11/22/2011 at 02:29 AM.
jmichc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2011, 11:26 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 554
I'm not sure I would call it rigged, since they are totally open about how it works, if you actually read the documentation.

Strategy Guide to Robotek hexage
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 12:10 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 8
I think many people are already well aware of Hexage's strategy guide.

And if you think that guide is totally open, I think we should do some business together.

I promise that all of my deals would be just as totally open.
jmichc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 10:19 AM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichc View Post
I think many people are already well aware of Hexage's strategy guide.

And if you think that guide is totally open, I think we should do some business together.

I promise that all of my deals would be just as totally open.
Sure, I will be happy to invest as much in your enterprise as I have in Hexage's products. Where do I send my check for $.00?
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 12:55 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
geekpeter's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,687
the apparant "winning streak" of triple rolls also appears even in multiplayer/online mode, ive dominated someone and they magically get lots of triples, same for me when ive been steamrolled.

at least for multiplayer it works both ways.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 01:28 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
ArchonAdvisors's Avatar
 
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
Sure, I will be happy to invest as much in your enterprise as I have in Hexage's products. Where do I send my check for $.00?
ZING!
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2011, 05:54 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
ZING!
Seriously?

The market value of a ZING! seems to have really taken a dive of late.
jmichc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2011, 01:25 AM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 8
So, I started playing Robotek again a few days ago, though I knew it was a mistake...

First off, I discover that during the time I had been away from the game, some changes in game-play had been made to the so-called multiplayer mode. Things like every win now being rewarded with 45 points, etc.

Just finished playing a round in which the opponent was down to 24 point, no robots. I had just under 400 points 3 robots, tank and droid maxed out, and an advanced drone. At that point, I experienced something I had never before seen in this game. The opponent got FOUR triples in a row, and then got double hacks on the FIFTH roll, taking my last robot. The opponent now had FIVE hero-level robots. One blast from those bots took me down to just under 100 points. Then, I just closed the game.

Despite the fact that this is by far more extreme than anything I had witnessed before, it just stands as one more example of the breathtaking degree of utter stupidity and sliminess embedded by Hexage in Robotek HD.

The idea that it is not rare in the course of a long game to see all of your efforts at strategizing be utterly decimated in just a few rounds at the very end of the game, is THE reason many maintain (and rightly so) that the game is rigged. This scenario seems to happen almost exclusively when playing either the AI (though in multiplayer), or when playing one of the weak-minded souls who felt the need to fork some cash over to Hexage in order to win more games.
jmichc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 05:30 AM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 1
i can sympathize with getting hit with those excessive triples. but i think the biggest issue with the game is people who disconnect.

In multiplayer the way the game handles disconnecting is killing the validity of online stats. whenever someone starts losing or just doesn't like the look of their opponent they just disconnect and avoid taking a loss. When this cowardly tactic is used to skip out of a losing battle it also deprives the opposing player the win they have earned.

It would help to foster interest in Robotek online play immensely if people who purposely disconnect were discouraged from doing so in some way. Some suggestions include:

- When one player disconnects from an online match he still ups his disconnect count, but his opposing player is awarded a win instead of nothing at all.

- Make player disconnect counts visible to other players during a match along with the win/loss ratings. That way we can at least identify disconnectors.

- Impose a hefty penalty to a player's online rating for excessive disconnects. A rating hit can begin at 5 disconnects and increase exponentially for every 5 disconnects that follow.

- When a player disconnects from an online match his avatar remains and the match continues until one of the following happens:
a) the opposing player finishes off the disconnector's avatar, earning a win.
b) the opposing player forfeits the match or also disconnects.
c) the disconnector regains connection.

For c) perhaps in the event of a disconnect the game can remember the online location of the match and
attempt to reconnect the disconnecting play the next time he searches for a match.
taukarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 09:46 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
ArchonAdvisors's Avatar
 
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichc View Post
Just finished playing a round in which the opponent was down to 24 point, no robots. I had just under 400 points 3 robots, tank and droid maxed out, and an advanced drone. At that point, I experienced something I had never before seen in this game. The opponent got FOUR triples in a row, and then got double hacks on the FIFTH roll, taking my last robot. The opponent now had FIVE hero-level robots. One blast from those bots took me down to just under 100 points. Then, I just closed the game.

Despite the fact that this is by far more extreme than anything I had witnessed before, it just stands as one more example of the breathtaking degree of utter stupidity and sliminess embedded by Hexage in Robotek HD.

The idea that it is not rare in the course of a long game to see all of your efforts at strategizing be utterly decimated in just a few rounds at the very end of the game, is THE reason many maintain (and rightly so) that the game is rigged. This scenario seems to happen almost exclusively when playing either the AI (though in multiplayer), or when playing one of the weak-minded souls who felt the need to fork some cash over to Hexage in order to win more games.
Btw, I looked at the Hexage docs regarding gameplay dynamics after reading this thread once before a while back, and they mentioned a couple things that would seem relevant here:

-code was added at some point to disallow the AI from getting more than 2 triples in a row.

-gameplay dynamics are tuned such that the greater the disparity in primary robot health between two players, the greater the odds are that the losing player will be successful with things like hack attacks, sort of like an odds-based handicap. Yes, this occasionally allows a losing player to stage a surprisingly (perhaps unfairly) strong comeback if they play it right.

This above type of balance shifting is very common, particularly in coin-op arcade games, so as to maintain parity between expert and novice players, and keep the game close and interesting. Anyone who played something like the original Daytona USA in an arcade during the 90's can attest to the phenomenon where even if your opponent driver crashed several times along the way from the start, the race still tightened up quickly on the final lap ended up in a close photo finish.

Last edited by sq5; 02/04/2013 at 09:53 AM.
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0