Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By professionalbum
  1.    #1  
    on business travel and in my hotel room. Just tried HBO Go on TouchPad - no luck as site is always buffering and trying to optimize. Neflix no way, no how (co-worker enjoying it on his iPad though)

Glad I brought my laptop - able to enjoy HBO GO, Netflix, Max Go in hotel room. Oh and I just hooked laptop up to the LG TV in my hotel room. Life is just as it was 2 months ago - other then having a tablet to carry around, which is just sitting in my backpack. I see now how useless the TouchPad is for travel at this stage. Glad I decided to also bring my laptop at the last minute. I guess my next trip, I'll just leave the TouchPad at home. I thought this would be the other way around. Oh well - it's still a neat toy.

Bummed and back to my shows on the laptop.
    hbo go and max go work fine for me...
    yep, use the new warthog kernel. it does wonders.
    Why weren't you at the hotel bar?
    Midway99 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    yep, use the new warthog kernel. it does wonders.
    So you have to be aware of the homebrew community and install a kernal in order to get what works on Ipad to work on the Touchpad?

This is why the touchpad sales are pitiful. The typical person does not want to f around to try to get something to work when there is a simple app on other devices for it.

Apps and only apps are the main reason touchpad is a huge fail. It's not difficult. HP needs to get the apps on the touchpad. They either need to make it themselves or pay someone to make them. Advertise that these apps are on the way. But they won't do that because they are too busy trying to get webos on their stupid pos printers.
    So you have to install apps on the iPad to get what works in the out of the box browser on the Touchpad?

How lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    So you have to install apps on the iPad to get what works in the out of the box browser on the Touchpad?

How lame.
    Yep, that's how most people will want it. People see Ipad and Android and they have apps so people will assume that is the easiest route to go, which in most cases it is. People are going to browse an app catalog. They won't necessarily think of something they can look up in a browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    Yep, that's how most people will want it. People see Ipad and Android and they have apps so people will assume that is the easiest route to go, which in most cases it is. People are going to browse an app catalog. They won't necessarily think of something they can look up in a browser.
    I'm sorry but that just makes no sense. It's counter-intuitive and I blame Apple 100%.

People perform at least 90% of their daily computing in a browser, which they can still do on a TouchPad - but they have been brainwashed into believing they need "apps" to do everything on any mobile device. A shame.

You can have your app. I'll just use a bookmark.
    I didn't need an app or Homebrew patches, kernels, etc. to get HBO GO to work on my Touchpad. I would suggest you check your carrier and other potential barriers before assuming it's the Touchpad. I also believe that there is a thread already out here where many individuals have had success with HBO GO, MAX GO, etc.
    Edit: (Here is the link)http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...63-HBO-GO.html
    I just watched an episode of Game of Thrones on my TP last night. It played smoothly, and I really was impressed by the sound quality out of the speakers, better than my laptops would have been.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpressive View Post
    I didn't need an app or Homebrew patches, kernels, etc. to get HBO GO to work on my Touchpad. I would suggest you check your carrier and other potential barriers before assuming it's the Touchpad. I also believe that there is a thread already out here where many individuals have had success with HBO GO, MAX GO, etc.
    Edit: (Here is the link)http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...63-HBO-GO.html
    At home, on the road - everywhere I have yet to get HBO Go to work smooth. I can't even browse the site as I can only see what's on the default homepage. If I try and swipe to see additional shows to the left, nothing happens on the site. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't work for me.... well, hold up. Things will eventually load and start, but then the voice and video are so far off it's like a bad Asian movie.

Here is what I don't get - exact same wireless on my TouchPad and laptop but it all works smooth on laptop.

In the end, it seems most folks are happy with the current HBO Go solution just to tell iPad folks we don't need an app. At the same time, we need to hack our TouchPad to increase the performance and make it unsupported to get it to work. Joe TouchPAd user won't be up for this. This isn't right. An optimized app for HBO Go and Max Go would benefit us all - IMHO.

Again, the crappy part is I have to leave my TouchPad at home when I travel. Did not expect this!
    This is why I didn't jump when I saw TPs at $300. Hulu, HBOGo, MaxGo, Streaming Netflix, and MLBtv get major play in my house. Every TV is connected somehow - using either a bluray player, Roku, PocornHour, or Windows 7 nettop...and the only one that is hands down compatible with everything is the Windows 7 nettop...although the Roku comes close. Close mind you, but not there - Hulu Plus only - no Hulu.

The problems relate to licensing of course...and the DRM technologies utilized to enforce protection. With a big enough installed base, your platform will get love...which is why the iPad enjoys so much support in this respect. Android is a close second...assuming you stick with a mainstream tablet or handset. I'm just not seeing the compelling story for DRM content providers to support the TP.

If HBOGo and MaxGo work now, great...but for how long...and what other video sources are not supported? Also, how well is Flash being optimized for the hardware? Without a large installed base, I can't imagine Adobe spending much time sweating that optimization they way that they are with Android.

If I have to drag a laptop with me for mobile entertainment, why bother getting a tablet? Sure, it's better for surfing casually...but it's just not enough for me.

HP should have priced this thing out of the gate at a loss at $299 and stolen Apple's lunch and established a major market presence...with an eye toward the longer-term dollar. THEN, they would be getting love from DRM content providers. Instead, they stepped on it again and let the Android tablet army beat them to market and offer a more compelling story at the same (or lower) price. Now, we have to hope that something works...and keeps working...and that performance is acceptable. The TP would have to be about $199 now for me to take the leap. A well-supported (by third parties) Android tablet is worth twice that to me.

Game of Thrones rocks by the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    At home, on the road - everywhere I have yet to get HBO Go to work smooth. I can't even browse the site as I can only see what's on the default homepage. If I try and swipe to see additional shows to the left, nothing happens on the site. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't work for me.... well, hold up. Things will eventually load and start, but then the voice and video are so far off it's like a bad Asian movie.

Here is what I don't get - exact same wireless on my TouchPad and laptop but it all works smooth on laptop.

In the end, it seems most folks are happy with the current HBO Go solution just to tell iPad folks we don't need an app. At the same time, we need to hack our TouchPad to increase the performance and make it unsupported to get it to work. Joe TouchPAd user won't be up for this. This isn't right. An optimized app for HBO Go and Max Go would benefit us all - IMHO.

Again, the crappy part is I have to leave my TouchPad at home when I travel. Did not expect this!
    dude.. Check your touchpad.. I have left my laptop at home since my touchpad. Edit docs online with google docs. Watch hbo max go with no problems. Video flood hd to watch favorite programs... I do need a netflix solution. Although hulu still works for me.
    but, other than that.. I have no problems. Browser only needs to actually activate the java it says it enables. Maybe one day. Good luck. Hope you figure it out. Ps.. Stock touchpad.. No homebrew needed for successful streaming. No apps either.... Video flood hd is because I'm lazy and don't want to type in those web urls... Very convenient.