Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
  1.    #1  
    There was a lot of discussion before the Touchpad was released about "Quality vs Quantity". Yes, the Apple catalog has bajillions of apps, and HP's store only a few thousand.

I got my $50 promo code last week, and have been going crazy. No apps? There's tons of apps! And useful ones at that.. When you factor in patches from PreWare, there's pretty much an app for all of my needs. The only things I'm still waiting for are document editing and a decent RDP/Remote Desktop app.

Every day, I use

• WeatherBug
    • Audiophile HD
    • Camera
    • Maps
    • AngryBirds HD
    • NPR Reader
    • Kindle Beta
    • pondNotes
    • Solitaire
    • Audobon Birds (I'm a birder)
    • Adobe Reader (for music scores)
    • of course, email, web browser, calendar and Photos.

So there are plenty of apps for a general-purpose prosumer tab. Stuff I would like to see, but don't NEED (because I have analogues on my desktop) would include music creation software. But HP's a big battle ship that turns slowly, and I'd imagine after there's some market penetration they can start thinking about offering 'multimedia' models (with video out!!!). Frankly, Apple owns that space now, and it's prolly low on HPs priority list to accommodate musicians or artists.

Still very happy with my Touchpad, and jazzed about the amazing community of webOS fans and developers. Though, I finally informed my wife that there are $100+ discounts on the TP now, and she took it badly. For me, that ~hundred bucks was worth it to be an early-adopter.
    I agree that apps is no longer a serious issue for the touchpad. There will never be enough apps - I bet iOS folks can tell you they wish there was a "fill in the blank" app. Now HP needs to focus in improving the os experience and the WeOS eco system (phone, pcs, printers, etc.)

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.738803,-121.451780
    - Ivan
    +1 Also agree...about "Quality vs Quantity".
    ........JC.........

IGNTNUNLMTD likes this.
    In general I agree with you, but there are a few highly visible missing apps that really should be on WebOS. A player for Audible.com is one. Audible (a subsidiary of Amazon) is the largest provider of audio books with over 85,000 titles. You can get an Audible player on just about any device - smart phones, dumb phones, MP3 Players - even on Garmin, Nuvi and other GPS systems. And just about any device that can handle downloading and installing a Java app can run their AudibleAir app.

But not WebOS.
    I would like some board games.
    EA needs to port over their webOS 2.x games and some/if not all their latest iOS games!!!
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    dsalonius likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    yes, scrabble on ipad is awesome.
    dsalonius likes this.
    I'm just waiting for a checkbook app and a database app. Then my core apps I need will be mostly complete.

I inquired with the developer of My Databank, and they are looking at a December release for their updated version.
    there are still a few missing for me, a podcast app is probably the most basic hole I need filled. There are still holes but at the same time the catalog is quite good for it only being out a little over a month.
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Agreed, the iPad has some great board games and it would be nice to have them also on my TouchPad (Ticket to Ride is my favorite). Tablets are perfect for board games in my opinion.
    Sorry, but there are lots of apps missing that are needed - and some that do are slow as hell.

Netflix being the biggest one coming to mind
    gps/nav software
    Adobe Reader - slow as hell. It's painful to attempt to read a magazine in AR.
    board games
    decent games (There's pretty much Robotek, NFS, and AB.. i might've missed a couple, but need more)
    RDC + VNC
    Kindle exists, but no side-loading sucks.

I use mine ~5 days a week, but mainly just for Kindle at this point. I haven't spent any of the $50, because I just don't really see anything I want to spend the money on last I looked. There are some good looking news apps - ie USA Today -- but I find a lot of their stories are missing content, leaving me wanting.
    Herk_FE and Midway99 like this.
    BATTLE CHESS. Obviously the best chess game ever made with the chess pieces that actually turn into fighting characters and battle for the spaces.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    sorli likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    BATTLE CHESS. Obviously the best chess game ever made with the chess pieces that actually turn into fighting characters and battle for the spaces.
    One of the few Chess games I actually completed...or at least tried to hack to see things to the end.

Very cool and surprised more chess game developers haven't tried similar (is there a Star Wars Chess???).

Either way, thanks fro the memories! Sorli...
    demetry14 likes this.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    So far I like the TouchPad and webOS in general, but there are some glaring holes in the app market for the TP. The lack of any app for document editing, for instance, is impossible to overlook.
    sorli likes this.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    You have left the realm of sanity and entered the "Phanboy Zone"

Let's be really honest here the big things people want to do with a tablet this thing lacks the apps to support. The sheer lack of game variety, document editing and creation, side loading of kindle books, streaming movies or tv, congruent full featured audio player, and the fact there are very few free apps really make the TP a less complete app market then Droid or iOS.
    r-nice and jtnova like this.
    Anytime someone mentions that both iOS and Android have many more apps than webOS, I usually reply "yes, but how many farting apps do you need."

This weekend, while at a cookout at a firends house, she was showing off her favorite new iPhone app. She said, "It has many different ones, but I like the fart noise that number 4 makes." My wife looked over at me and laughed. I never felt more vindicated in my life. I put my arms up in a mock victory pose.
    JED-WEB-OS and etphoto like this.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    While it's true that there are a lot of junk apps for Android and iOS, there is still no getting around the fact that there are big holes in the app offerings for webOS. The most glaring of all, as I mentioned upthread, is the complete lack of document editing apps for the TouchPad.
    r-nice likes this.
    The more I read here, the more I think you guys aren't even really aware of the breadth of apps available on iOS and android. You focus on the farting apps to make it all seem useless, but the capability afforded by iOS are insane.

I think by even just using webos exclusively, many here are falling behind the technology curve causing you to not know about how far ahead the competition really is. To hear people harp on quality here is kind of ridiculous. Yes, it works for you. But there is much more that smart devices are now capable of doing than what webos allows.
    TechFan#WN, Herk_FE and r-nice like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator64 View Post
    The more I read here, the more I think you guys aren't even really aware of the breadth of apps available on iOS and android. You focus on the farting apps to make it all seem useless, but the capability afforded by iOS are insane.

I think by even just using webos exclusively, many here are falling behind the technology curve causing you to not know about how far ahead the competition really is. To hear people harp on quality here is kind of ridiculous. Yes, it works for you. But there is much more that smart devices are now capable of doing than what webos allows.
    I have looked through the App Store on my daughter's iPod Touch. A lot of the apps look like they are made to get around the fact that iOS does not have Flash capability. I can do most of what I need to on my TouchPad web browser without needing to take up storage space with apps to check my bank account, 401k account, utilities, sports information and other stuff I do on a daily basis.
    JED-WEB-OS and sorli like this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Uh, wrong.

There is still no ssh app.
    There is still no edit Office docs/xlsx app.
    There is still no VNC or RDP app.
    There is still no GotoMeeting app.

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.
    All of these and more are available on both iOS and Android.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    r-nice likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast