Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree43Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gtalum View Post
    So far I like the TouchPad and webOS in general, but there are some glaring holes in the app market for the TP. The lack of any app for document editing, for instance, is impossible to overlook.
    TapNote and Typewriter are two good document creator/editor apps and they print.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by gtalum View Post
    While it's true that there are a lot of junk apps for Android and iOS, there is still no getting around the fact that there are big holes in the app offerings for webOS. The most glaring of all, as I mentioned upthread, is the complete lack of document editing apps for the TouchPad.
    See my previous post.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator64 View Post
    The more I read here, the more I think you guys aren't even really aware of the breadth of apps available on iOS and android. You focus on the farting apps to make it all seem useless, but the capability afforded by iOS are insane.

I think by even just using webos exclusively, many here are falling behind the technology curve causing you to not know about how far ahead the competition really is. To hear people harp on quality here is kind of ridiculous. Yes, it works for you. But there is much more that smart devices are now capable of doing than what webos allows.
    LIKE? "Curious"

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Uh, wrong.

There is still no ssh app.
    There is still no edit Office docs/xlsx app.
    There is still no VNC or RDP app.
    There is still no GotoMeeting app.

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.
    All of these and more are available on both iOS and Android.
    install OpenSSH client/server and use the XTerm that is part of the XServer stuff from Preware... Once you have mastered that install the Ubuntu Chroot and you will have absolutely crushed the competition. Vualla

Quote Originally Posted by herk_fe View Post
    My guess would be Facebook, Hulu, and I am not sure what else.

The TP Facebook app while raved about in reviews was terrible to me. I use groups more then regular FB features so the lack of group support made it a worthless app to me.
    The iPad doesn't have a Facebook app; Hulu is blocked on most mobile device browsers with Flash (Honeycomb, PlayBook), so that's why an app is necessary, only for the + version. A real replacement for Flash is probably ABC Player.
    You can't tell me that games are just replacements for Flash games.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleabag323 View Post
    The iPad doesn't have a Facebook app; Hulu is blocked on most mobile device browsers with Flash (Honeycomb, PlayBook), so that's why an app is necessary, only for the + version. A real replacement for Flash is probably ABC Player.
    You can't tell me that games are just replacements for Flash games.
    HUH? Do you even know what you are trying to debate with me?
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    LIKE? "Curious"
    Serious?

Anything you can think of theres an app for on ipad. Not so much on Webos. Not even close.
    I don't understand how people say Android has more tablet apps than webOS? I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1, and the Android store has a tablet filter. Slim pickens compared to what I see on the HP store. Also, I notice more new apps appearing in webOS on a daily basis than I see on a weekly basis on Android. I've practically given up bothering with the Android store.

I've maybe tripled the amount I've spent on webOS apps than I have on Android, and I didn't get the $50.00 credit. I've probably equaled the amount I've spent on iOS apps that I've had for over a year. I just hope webOS survives or sells enough to get developers to make some exceptional apps like those available on iOS.

A little off topic: I was trying to sell off my Galaxy Tab to a friend by letting him borrow it for a week. He's a techy like myself, but never experienced using a tablet before. His expectations are a little high, but after a day and a half with it, I think Android may have ruined his desire of ever getting one. hehehe I had to laugh... His wife told me he was practically ready to throw it out the window.
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacstar View Post

A little off topic: I was trying to sell off my Galaxy Tab to a friend by letting him borrow it for a week. He's a techy like myself, but never experienced using a tablet before. His expectations are a little high, but after a day and a half with it, I think Android may have ruined his desire of ever getting one. hehehe I had to laugh... His wife told me he was practically ready to throw it out the window.
    If it's anything like my XOOM, I'm right there with him. I basically bought the TP to replace the XOOM and apps be damned at least the Touchpad runs better and doesn't lag to a standstill after a few days. I truly think WebOS is the superior Tablet OS, I just need a few more apps to make it my "go to" tablet. Right now, it's my iPad 2, but that thing ****es me off when I have to switch between applications or I get notifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhulk View Post
    If it's anything like my XOOM, I'm right there with him. I basically bought the TP to replace the XOOM and apps be damned at least the Touchpad runs better and doesn't lag to a standstill after a few days. I truly think WebOS is the superior Tablet OS, I just need a few more apps to make it my "go to" tablet. Right now, it's my iPad 2, but that thing ****es me off when I have to switch between applications or I get notifications.
    Right there with you... I just need a couple more apps on the TP, and it will be the only one I carry to work. I have an iPad1 that I keep some databases on, so I still need to bring it in with the TP. The Galaxy stays at home...not sure what I'm going to do with it now. I like how light it is, but a $600 ebook reader, it is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    Serious?

Anything you can think of theres an app for on ipad. Not so much on Webos. Not even close.
    With the Ability of the Ubuntu Chrooted Environment you can have absolutely anything any Linux system can have app wise, if your looking for app specific sites try using the web browser.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    With the Ability of the Ubuntu Chrooted Environment you can have absolutely anything any Linux system can have app wise, if your looking for app specific sites try using the web browser.
    To be fair, this is not a reasonable option for your average tablet user.
    I agree... the average person can't even install preware.(This really should be in the App Store). This discussion should stay in the realm of what is "Out of the Box".

There are a lot of good things that work on the touchpad, but it has its short comings.

Pros: The Touchpad is smooth, Fast, and all around a great device. It has java capabilities, and a very very active Community.

Negatives: The Stock Browser (the only browser at the moment) sucks. If we had something like Fiefox the Touchpad experience would be sooo much better. It needs more alternatives. No DRM support (Silverlight,Moonlight). Lack of Apps for things that don't run well or can't run in the browser. Where are the big hitter Apps that the normal consumer would expect? (I do not need to name them, they are in every other thread here in the App forum). Geo Locked APP Store (anyone not in the US gets the shaft).

All in All, like I said the device is good. It is a first edition and will get better with time if it gets a chance. Right now there is a lot of press about the selling hardships that WebOS is going through. Now the Pre3 will not be released in some countries, and one has to wonder where this ride will take us. I think WebOS as an OS is great, but HP should have had more Customer Creature Comforts (Like the apps that everyone is still waiting on) available on the release date. It got a lot of bad press, and still is missing a few major features (Doc Editing). HP needs to pull a few more rabbits out of their hat quick, before this WebOS project ends before Christmas.
    Devices

-WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
    imho, there are not plenty of apps..

I'll agree to just disagree. But if what is there satisfies a given user. Great. You've found a device that works. Be happy.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123