Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    I said that I can do most of what I need to. The only thing on your list above that I need is the Office doc editing and that should be coming out soon (I hope).

I understand that there is not one perfect OS out there. My point is that webOS is the most perfect for me, without needing tens of thousands of apps to do things that the webOS browser can do just fine.
    viper151 likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    My point was that, while I like my TP much more than my iPad2, the iPad2 is far more useful for now. Heck, I could practically leave my laptop at home on my overseas trips based on what my iPad2 can do...I want the same for my TP so I can go with webOS.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rburtz View Post
    I said that I can do most of what I need to. The only thing on your list above that I need is the Office doc editing and that should be coming out soon (I hope).
    You have to admit, though, that the lack of a document editor is a pretty big issue.

Like you, I bought the TouchPad and am very happy with it, but I do hope that the document editing comes soon. When that comes, this will become my full laptop replacement.

I don't really personally care about the lack of games, but that is also a pretty big hole in the app store in comparison to iPad and the Android tablets. For instance, I'm looking for a tablet for my 5-year-old daughter for Christmas, and I doubt it will be the TouchPad for that reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Uh, wrong.

There is still no ssh app.
    There is still no edit Office docs/xlsx app.
    There is still no VNC or RDP app.
    There is still no GotoMeeting app.

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.
    All of these and more are available on both iOS and Android.
    HELLO! WeartherBug is out, so game over! There are plenty of apps for the TouchPad.
    Herk_FE, r-nice and sorli like this.
    There are many useful apps on the TouchPad, but one cannot ignore the glaring omissions...
    BMIC50, Herk_FE, r-nice and 1 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    There are many useful apps on the TouchPad, but one cannot ignore the glaring omissions...
    And because of the omissions, there is room for complaints. If we had at least one or two equivalents for most of the iOS and Android apps, then the complaints would minimize. But we dont. So I dont pretend that we have all that we need to be competitive.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    r-nice and blinktreo like this.
    Anytime someone mentions that both iOS and Android have many more apps than webOS, I usually reply "yes, but how many farting apps do you need."

This weekend, while at a cookout at a firends house, she was showing off her favorite new iPhone app. She said, "It has many different ones, but I like the fart noise that number 4 makes." My wife looked over at me and laughed. I never felt more vindicated in my life. I put my arms up in a mock victory pose.
    I don't have one fart app for my iPad. But I do have a WebEx client, a SQL database app, a ToDo app that syncs with my desktop app, a video editing app, a netflix app, an app that lets me borrow and read books from my library, a presentation creator app, and app that allows me to hook up my keyboard and make and record music, an app that allows me to play scrabble with my brother 3000 miles away, an app that allows me to create spreadsheets and documents that sync through the cloud to my desktop, etc.

Maybe I will try a fart app though.
    I'm surprised theres not a single fart app yet made for the touchpad!

what is going on!!
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    I am a WebOS supporter and 5000 apps is pretty good, but far from enough when you consider the holes everyone has already pointed out; doc editing being the greatest. I think the lack of calendar apps is another area where WebOS app developers have dropped the ball. I bought and use the digicalendar on my phone but refuse to pull the trigger on getting it for my TP since there is no way to sync the two. I would imagine Apple has probably close to a 100 calendars options for the iPad.
    r-nice likes this.
    Anytime someone mentions that both iOS and Android have many more apps than webOS, I usually reply "yes, but how many farting apps do you need."

This weekend, while at a cookout at a firends house, she was showing off her favorite new iPhone app. She said, "It has many different ones, but I like the fart noise that number 4 makes." My wife looked over at me and laughed. I never felt more vindicated in my life. I put my arms up in a mock victory pose.
    I would only be worried about you if you actually believed this encompasses the substantive difference between the two app platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I am a WebOS supporter and 5000 apps is pretty good, but far from enough when you consider the holes everyone has already pointed out; doc editing being the greatest. I think the lack of calendar apps is another area where WebOS app developers have dropped the ball. I bought and use the digicalendar on my phone but refuse to pull the trigger on getting it for my TP since there is no way to sync the two. I would imagine Apple has probably close to a 100 calendars options for the iPad.
    Those are the two that matter - docs and calandar Apps (even just getting the built in to work as well as the Treo and be rock solid with google would be good).

Everything else its ok "to be coming soon" but until those, it's not a business/professional device.

Sent from my Evo - so there!
    This thread goes like they all do. There are holes. Some people defend webOS blindly, though. I once made a list of every app that I used regularly on my Android phone, and showed how many of those apps aren't available on webOS as the reason that I made the switch. The response was basically to tell me either I don't actually need any of those apps, or that I am the only person in the world that needs those apps. Even if those apps have hundreds of thousands of downloads, I am still the only person that needs any of them.

The TP has strengths, but it also has weaknesses. The app catalog remains a weakness for now. The number of apps is growing steadily, a very promising sign for the future, but it's not there yet.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    r-nice likes this.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Or crippled apps....Kindle with no sideloading? the only alternative is the laggy slow to render POSreader....that is why I thank 6lb 9oz baby jesus for 14 day return policies.
    r-nice likes this.
    Both sides have really excellent points here. I am constantly finding myself with three or four browser windows open running web or flash apps that have the same functionality as apps on my iPad. I do agree though that the lack of solid document editing is really a Achilles heel. Quickoffice really needs to get updated to make this device really competitive.
    Herk_FE and reggieb like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by amistak View Post
    Both sides have really excellent points here. I am constantly finding myself with three or four browser windows open running web or flash apps that have the same functionality as apps on my iPad. I do agree though that the lack of solid document editing is really a Achilles heel. Quickoffice really needs to get updated to make this device really competitive.
    Just curious, can you name one of these flash apps that has the same functionality as a corresponding iPad app?
    Herk_FE likes this.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Just curious, can you name one of these flash apps that has the same functionality as a corresponding iPad app?
    My guess would be Facebook, Hulu, and I am not sure what else.

The TP Facebook app while raved about in reviews was terrible to me. I use groups more then regular FB features so the lack of group support made it a worthless app to me.
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    There was a lot of discussion before the Touchpad was released about "Quality vs Quantity". Yes, the Apple catalog has bajillions of apps, and HP's store only a few thousand.

I got my $50 promo code last week, and have been going crazy. No apps? There's tons of apps! And useful ones at that.. When you factor in patches from PreWare, there's pretty much an app for all of my needs. The only things I'm still waiting for are document editing and a decent RDP/Remote Desktop app.

Every day, I use

• WeatherBug
    • Audiophile HD
    • Camera
    • Maps
    • AngryBirds HD
    • NPR Reader
    • Kindle Beta
    • pondNotes
    • Solitaire
    • Audobon Birds (I'm a birder)
    • Adobe Reader (for music scores)
    • of course, email, web browser, calendar and Photos.

So there are plenty of apps for a general-purpose prosumer tab. Stuff I would like to see, but don't NEED (because I have analogues on my desktop) would include music creation software. But HP's a big battle ship that turns slowly, and I'd imagine after there's some market penetration they can start thinking about offering 'multimedia' models (with video out!!!). Frankly, Apple owns that space now, and it's prolly low on HPs priority list to accommodate musicians or artists.

Still very happy with my Touchpad, and jazzed about the amazing community of webOS fans and developers. Though, I finally informed my wife that there are $100+ discounts on the TP now, and she took it badly. For me, that ~hundred bucks was worth it to be an early-adopter.
    I like my Touchpad, but I don't agree. There are plenty of apps for YOU. I'm still waiting for a decent newsreader (decent by my standards, in the realm of Pulse), a Google+ app, and misc other apps that I use daily on my other tablets and phones (such as Netflix). It's just not quite there yet, but I have faith that it will get there if it sells well enough.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Some people are happy with the current selection of apps available, and that's fine for them. I'm glad they're happy.

Unfortunately, there's plenty of examples named above that are needed/desired by others. I find myself in the same boat as amistak where I'm trying to access websites for functionality.

Some people make the argument that there's no need for an app when there's a website available. To some extent, I can agree with that point. However, that perspective fails to acknowledge the fact how apps are a more efficient use of time for key functionality.

Take the amount of time it takes to access a website and perform key functions then compare it to the amount of time a well-designed app would take. Apps should take considerably less time. Let's take the weather for example. We can all access weather.com to find out what we need to know. But that process takes minutes to perform what an app can do in seconds.

Some of what mobileman mentioned were also good ones. Dang, those would be nice.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhulk View Post
    I like my Touchpad, but I don't agree. There are plenty of apps for YOU.
    Well, with any new platform, that's the big thing, isn't it?

Just because my "YOU" isn't your "YOU" (god, that's confusing) doesn't mean the platform sucks or has failed. HP and the dev community just need to build up apps for more YOUs. And that'll happen.

And kudos to the poster who figured out how to get around the filters to label me a Phanboy. =)

What? I found a tool that does what I need, and can excuse some omissions that'll be rectified either with HP updates or the homebrew community. No document editing: Pond Notes! (and, no Evernote.. Pond Notes!). Stuff I mentioned as wanna-haves and others have said are gotta-haves? It's an open platform. The SDK is simple. Those apps will show up.

HP doesn't owe you anything - they and other large companies are coming to terms with the fading of the PC and the emergence of the tablet. The more nimble companies can toss out little machines with flashy specs, and wide app coverage. Get one, be happy.

I stand by my original premise: there are a lot of very high quality apps for webOS 3.x right now. If the app YOU need isn't there at 9:54 CST on August 16th, as I'm writing this, Best Buy would be happy to hand you an iPad or Blackberrybox or an iRobot in exchange for some cash.

This is a good machine, with a good OS, with the support of a HYOOGE hardware company. Like the weather in Minnesota, if you don't like it, wait around a bit and it'll change.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    This is not even a touchpad problem but a webos problem. It lacks a lot of apps with no sign of ever getting them. Two years on the market a not a single webos phone can edit a document and barely any 1st party support. The 3rd party apps are oftem times terrible and cost with no refund policy while other platforms get the superior 1st party version for free.
    Last edited by jamex; 08/16/2011 at 11:03 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast