Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezzik View Post
    When i run "apt-get install ldxe" it states
    "E: Undable to locate package ldxe"
    Any ideas?
    You spelled it wrong, should be lxde

apt-get install lxde
    Thanks!!! The tutorial by ncinerate has it spelled wrong. I'll PM and let him know!
    I got it running. now my problem is that the keyboard is in the way to access the menu buttons on the bottom. in other words i can not see the "toolbar" that is on the bottom b/c the keyboard overlays it. i tried touching the button that makes the keyboard go away but no luck. it wont go away? any suggestions?
    Yeah, sorry about the misspelling - easy to make a typo when you're banging out a quick guide .

I've fixed it.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Thanks!!! The tutorial by ncinerate has it spelled wrong. I'll PM and let him know!
    No problem Did the same thing, took me ages to figure out what I was doing wrong.

I got it running. now my problem is that the keyboard is in the way to access the menu buttons on the bottom. in other words i can not see the "toolbar" that is on the bottom b/c the keyboard overlays it. i tried touching the button that makes the keyboard go away but no luck. it wont go away? any suggestions?
    Hold the Keyboard button (bottom right of the keyboard) until you get four options: XS, S, M, L. Select XS and that will make the keyboard smaller and allow you to access the menu/task bar.
    Thanks again. I actually wouldnt work until i exited the program and opened up webos browser and did it there.
    Shirley Henry likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I would think webOS is more functional then Chrome. Go Android if you need something different.
    Chrome has some nice features like Bookmark Sync. I would love it if my bookmarks synced from my Home PC to my Touchpad. Plus if extension support was added, the Touchpad would be a very powerful PC replacement.
    anyway to get full screen and open and close the keyboard when needed?
    Pretty slick

Ha, I synched my Chrome stuff and now it just crashes chromium. (Fixed: I think it was professional toolbars conflicting with the scroll fix)
    Last edited by A.VOID; 09/01/2011 at 02:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    It's using webkit, just like the touchpad uses webkit. It was developed before android was purchased by google. It's has evolved however. So they are just based on the same tech.
    the engine is not the browser. Its an important foundation, but not the whole thing.

yes they all use webkit, but for a browser, those shells, features are important, and android browser right now pretty much has most of those features: tabs, password manager, bookmark manager, sync with desktop chrome, etc.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpike View Post
    They allow Opera. Apple allows other web browsers on iOS as long as they use webkit, I think. (and probably follow some other guidelines as well).
    I'd love to see Opera on TouchPad. Do they have anything planned for webOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
    I petitioned Dolphin HD to make a webOS version. I hope they do. I suggest everyone wanting a great browser on the TouchPad to do the same.
    I'm with you on that one.

As a certified Android f*nboy(2 phones and 1 tablet), I have always used Dolphin browser
    instead of the Android's stock browsers.

Not that the browser on my Touchpad is bad.... but Dolphin is just very easy to use.
    What is the performance of Chromium with Ubuntu running as a card in the TP? If it is not too bad, I might do a 16G partition for it when my 32G model came (I hope).

I just miss Chrome or Chromium. I believe lot of the issues people have with the TP can be solved if one of the mainstream browsers is made available to the TP.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Is anyone working on bringing Chrome / Chromium to webOS?

The default browser, although good, does have a few deficiencies. We could really do with a decent browser on our touchpads.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quite frankly - I am surprised at the lack of freely available popular software for webOS - such as a browser . I own a Nokia N800 - and although Maemo probably had a much shorter lifespan than webOS - on that I have - in addition to the stock MicroB - Tear, Opera Mobile and Midori. I am not counting Fennec - since it is available, but not usable. I at least have four browsers , that each have more functionality that the stock webOS browser. Maemo was effectively discontinued many months back ! So this is truly sad state of affairs with software on webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by stl1859 View Post
    Quite frankly - I am surprised at the lack of freely available popular software for webOS - such as a browser . I own a Nokia N800 - and although Maemo probably had a much shorter lifespan than webOS - on that I have - in addition to the stock MicroB - Tear, Opera Mobile and Midori. I am not counting Fennec - since it is available, but not usable. I at least have four browsers , that each have more functionality that the stock webOS browser. Maemo was effectively discontinued many months back ! So this is truly sad state of affairs with software on webOS.

Opera was going to at one point but idk what happened to that. We currently have the stock version and Advanced Browser which is awesome. Prefox was available for the pre but i dont believe he made an HD version...
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Does netflix work on it? That's a very compelling reason to do it.
    No, Netflix will not work, it doesn't work in x86 linux with Chrome because there is no official Silverlight for linux that supports the DRM scheme, even less of a chance with arm based linux... that being said, there is a x86 ChromeOS plugin that allows Netflix to work, but its obviously not open source, and will probably never work for arm unless they start pushing arm based ChromeBooks.

Your best bet for Netflix will be dual booting Android when it's available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smthers View Post
    Is anyone working on bringing Chrome / Chromium to webOS?

The default browser, although good, does have a few deficiencies. We could really do with a decent browser on our touchpads.
    I heard rumours that it's planned or something? Can anybody confirm?
    Click here to see my Palm Pre photos

Fave Apps: Agenda, Facebook, Molo Photo Filters Pro, Spaz, AuctionMate Pro, Flickr Mundo, Brightness Unlinked, AccuWeather, NomNomNom, KalemSoft Media Player, Paketverfolgung, Puzzle Master

Palm Pre -> HP Pre 3 + TouchPad <3
    Chromium has been crashing ever since I synced my data. Any ideas?
    I petitioned Dolphin HD to make a webOS version. I hope they do. I suggest everyone wanting a great browser on the TouchPad to do the same.
    I emailed them a few days ago and have not received a reply yet. I figure things are slow given the holidays. I hope they decided to port it over. Having more options is a good thing in my book.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12