Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By bobsentell
  • 3 Post By djmcgee
  • 1 Post By mhunterjr
  1.    #1  
    See his blog here:
    First off, I am actually an employee of HP but will try to be unbiased.

"I've only had the TouchPad for 2 days and LOVE it so far...
    Netflix would of course be nice. I hear that is in the works though so I'm hopeful"

http://ersdev.blogspot.com
    interesting... Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    See his blog here:
    First off, I am actually an employee of HP but will try to be unbiased.

"I've only had the TouchPad for 2 days and LOVE it so far...
    Netflix would of course be nice. I hear that is in the works though so I'm hopeful"

Eric's Life
    Well, when the bottom ad covers the lower half of the post with no way of closing it, it's hard to tell what he is saying.
    jahjahlove likes this.
    'I hear its in the works' is pretty vague. It was rumored to be 'in the works' back in February.. and yeah, it wasn't.

In my opinion the release of the HP MovieStore is damning proof that Netflix has never been 'in the works'. HP couldn't get them to start making an app, so they said we need something here.

I would LOVE to see netflix on the TP, it's very disappointing to see that its not, but there's no indication of it coming anytime soon.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    why would the HP movie store tell you no netflix app?
    doesn't apple have itunes?

I think that during the Feb announcement, listing netflix as a partner is good indication of HP's intentions...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    HP has had great intentions for some months now and will continue to have great intentions for the coming months
    Dan
    Psychonaut, Hobbz and musk like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    why would the HP movie store tell you no netflix app?
    doesn't apple have itunes?

I think that during the Feb announcement, listing netflix as a partner is good indication of HP's intentions...
    It tells me no netflix app because they realized there was no movie solution and they needed one for their touchpad. If netflix was planned at launch or near launch, I doubt they'd bother with it.

I think we might see an app eventually, but I don't think there's any good proof one is in the near future - all anyone can get is vague responses. Like this one:

Netflixhelps Netflix
    @CaseyJensen1 Our goal is to allow members to watch instantly on as many platforms as possible. Thanks for your feedback!
    Aug 11, 10:57 AM via TweetDeck

It's essentially saying if there becomes enough demand, enough users on the device, we'll get into it, but we're not announcing anything at this point.
    well, it is in the works. Last update on this was in mid-July and that was Netfilx coming in early 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh4Sh0 View Post
    It tells me no netflix app because they realized there was no movie solution and they needed one for their touchpad. If netflix was planned at launch or near launch, I doubt they'd bother with it.

I think we might see an app eventually, but I don't think there's any good proof one is in the near future - all anyone can get is vague responses. Like this one:

Netflixhelps Netflix
    @CaseyJensen1 Our goal is to allow members to watch instantly on as many platforms as possible. Thanks for your feedback!

It's essentially saying if there becomes enough demand, enough users on the device, we'll get into it, but we're not announcing anything at this point.
    That looks familiar, oh wait, that's the standard line they give when you ask for native Linux support.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    damn 2012 is mighty far away...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Hi all, I'm just wondering if HP would pay Netflix to make the app? take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh4Sh0 View Post

Netflixhelps Netflix

Uh, you do know that the HP Movie store is their PC movie solution right? All they did was port it over to webOS.
    there's no doubt in my mind that an app is in the works. Its probably been in the works since february. the question is, what phase of development is it in. I wouldn't be surprised if they were still in the negotiation phase.

netflix is probably really focused on getting it to work on as many android handsets as possible. It would take significant touchpad sales to get them to give us any attention over here,
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    well, it is in the works. Last update on this was in mid-July and that was Netfilx coming in early 2012.
    Where did you hear this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    there's no doubt in my mind that an app is in the works. Its probably been in the works since february. the question is, what phase of development is it in. I wouldn't be surprised if they were still in the negotiation phase.

netflix is probably really focused on getting it to work on as many android handsets as possible. It would take significant touchpad sales to get them to give us any attention over here,
    I have no idea about writing apps but how long does it take to actually write the app once negotiations are done? Seems like it shouldn't be that hard of a thing to do...
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    Where did you hear this?
    Yeah I missed that too.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by ebolamonkey3 View Post
    I have no idea about writing apps but how long does it take to actually write the app once negotiations are done? Seems like it shouldn't be that hard of a thing to do...
    The application itself isn't the issue, it's the DRM (digital rights management).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post

The "negotiation phase" is with the MPAA. Once you get their "blessing" then the app takes probably an hour....
    I would kill for a Netflix app. Its the only thing from letting me give my computer to my brother since I will be deploying in a couple of months (which is why I just snagged a Touch Pad). If Netflix came to the TP soon it would be AWESOME. If not, I guess ill just use my iPhone since it will be using that for Google Voice as well... speaking of... WHERE IS GOOGLE VOICE FOR THE TOUCH PAD!?