Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pbnewbie
  1.    #1  
    I am posting in this forum as this is an active one. I created an app yesterday for Jonathan's Card. Some of you might have heard about this experiment.

It is a social experiment where he has shared his Starbucks gift card for everyone to use..! Check out his website for more details.
    Get a coffee, give a coffee - Jonathan's Card

Using his card, I have created a webOS application enabling webOS users to purchase a coffee for free (if funds are available)..

As his website says, the motto is simple. "Get a coffee, give a coffee".

If anybody wants to try this out at Starbucks, please download this app and let me know if it works.

App can be downloaded from the link below:
    https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0m...wZDAw&hl=en_US

Please note:
    1) Donate option may not work well with webOS versions < 2.0.0 as Starbucks website uses flash.
    2) I created it using Mojo not Enyo. Since its a Mojo app, it will appear in that small black box. However, it should work well.
    3) I have submitted this app for app catalog approval. If it doesn't work, I will remove it from there.

Thanks for your help and feedback!
    kryptonite_2448 likes this.
  2.    #2  
    anyone tried it out and is it working?
    Sounds interesting.
    You can build full screen mojo apps for the touchpad. It's very easy. Just set uiRevision:2 in the appinfo.json file and make sure your css styles the app properly.
  5.    #5  
    Its not about Mojo/Enyo. Its about the idea behind Jonathan's Card. I didn't want to make this app in Enyo just because no one would (in a normal scenario) scan their tablets at POS to purchase a coffee and it made more sense to have the Starbucks card displayed on a phone screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreNewbieSV View Post
    I am posting in this forum as this is an active one. I created an app yesterday for Jonathan's Card. Some of you might have heard about this experiment.

It is a social experiment where he has shared his Starbucks gift card for everyone to use..! Check out his website for more details.
    Get a coffee, give a coffee - Jonathan's Card

Using his card, I have created a webOS application enabling webOS users to purchase a coffee for free (if funds are available)..

As his website says, the motto is simple. "Get a coffee, give a coffee".

If anybody wants to try this out at Starbucks, please download this app and let me know if it works.

App can be downloaded from the link below:
    https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0m...wZDAw&hl=en_US

Please note:
    1) Donate option may not work well with webOS versions < 2.0.0 as Starbucks website uses flash.
    2) I created it using Mojo not Enyo. Since its a Mojo app, it will appear in that small black box. However, it should work well.
    3) I have submitted this app for app catalog approval. If it doesn't work, I will remove it from there.

Thanks for your help and feedback!
    This is awesome! I don't live near a Starbucks, but I'm going to load the app tonight and I'm heading to StL this weekend. I may make a stop!
    Current: OnePlus One, Nexus 10
    Retired: Palm Centro, Palm Pre+, HP Veer, HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Moto X (2013), Nexus 7 (2012)

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
    I went to download, but no luck. It three me into my google docs page. Upload it to box.net and share that link. Any others have the same problem as me?

edit: found problem. Mobile browser is a no go. Switched to desktop browser and it loaded...but downloaded some garbage. Gotta do it from a pc I guess. Dunno what google docs does to the files. Never had this problem with box.net.
    Last edited by pezman726; 08/11/2011 at 05:22 PM.
    Hi PreNewbieSV. I downloaded .ipk file from the link you have to Google Docs on my desktop, and then used the palm-install utility to get it onto my Pre Plus.

All the UI elements seem to work just fine - I didn't actually try to buy a coffee but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I will confirm that the "Donate" button doesn't really work - well, it does open the web browser to the Starbucks website, but as you say, on my older version of webOS (1.4.5) the website doesn't really render well - I can't see any text, but that's not the fault of the app, it's more the old version of the webOS browser on my phone.

Have you checked to see if there is a mobile version of their web page to reload a card?

I don't see why it wouldn't be accepted into the App Catalog - nice job!
  9.    #9  
    Thanks! Its not my idea though..
    As George mentioned, you need to download it into desktop and then install it from there..If it can be installed directly from box.net, I will upload there and share the link if anyone needs it..

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any mobile sites for starbucks.com That is the reason I chose their regular website link for recharging the card...

If anyone knows their mobile site address, please let me know so that I can update the app..

Starbucks site uses flash and that is the reason why it will not work well with webOS < 2.0.0 and that is very bad in these days. They should switch to HTML5..

Edit : Its sad to see that starbucks.com has apps for the fruits and robot but not webOS
    Last edited by PreNewbieSV; 08/11/2011 at 11:36 PM.
  10.    #10  
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I don't go to Starbucks, don't drink coffee... but I checked it out, it loaded fine, the balance was $0 on the card and on my TP it does let me reload fine. Well, the page loads fine, I didn't add anything to it.

Too bad there's no way to pass the card number on to the page so it auto-fills that in for ya. Can you maybe put it in the clipboard when someone clicks the donate button?
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Ok, just saw in the help file that you do copy it.. but it wouldn't paste for me in the web form.. it did paste for me in to another text area in another app....?
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
  13.    #13  
    Just touch the text field for about 1 sec. you will see "Paste"
  14.    #14  
    Regarding the balance, it can vary every minute. If someone adds money to the card, you will see that. If everything is used up, you will just see $0.

Please note that the latest balance information is only refreshed once every minute.. So the amount you see on the app may not always be accurate. It is likely to be accurate for just one second every minute.
    To know the exact amount, scanning it at POS would be the best option.
  15.    #15  
    Update: Jonathan's card has been taken down as of 10:00pm est. Thanks for all your interest in this app for the phone.