Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mike5
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Ok, so while I would have gotten a TP over iPad anyways, the lure of the 50gb of storage was a very nice carrot.

Problem is, I'm trying to figure out just what to use it for...

From what I have read in other threads and have figured out over the last couple days is that box.net is basically a swap space. Any file I want to interact with, first gets downloaded to my TP before opening. Or am I missing something here?

And on top of that... once I open a file, I have to connect to my computer in USB mode to remove it...?

I tried the web interface thinking I could go there and view photos without having to download them, but no go... their page doesn't like the TP browser enough to let me open folders.

One of the things I was hoping to use this for was a sort of mobile photo album for all my photos... but I'm better off putting them in a folder on my own web host at this point.

There should be an easy enough way for the native app to view photos, and even actually stream mp3 files, have it as an option vs download and view.

So... am I missing something here?

How are others actually making use of box.net?
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
    I was gonna use it for wifi transfer of my movies from my wife's laptop.....but the touchpad account has a stupid 1gb file limit.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I have been using it to store aviation maps, approach plates, departures & arrival procedures from airports. It has been working fine in conjunction w/Adobe Reader, but I have to be online to download the info to read/use each time from Box.net. WiFi isn't always available so I have to think ahead to effectively use it.
    sorli likes this.
    You aren't missing anything, I actually had originally planned on a 32GB TP, then changed my mind when the free 50gb was announced, assuming I could use it in the way you describe. The current app is a joke. Hopefully they change it down the road.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    I found dropbox to be more accessible. Box.net doesn't even have a 1st party desktop client for file syncs... You have to pay some 3rd party dev an unknown price for it.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I also have Dropbox, and the Dropboxify app works just fine on the TP, though an HD version would be nice.
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnee View Post
    And on top of that... once I open a file, I have to connect to my computer in USB mode to remove it...?
    I would use internalz for on device document management. The HD version that is coming to the app cat will have additional features for homebrewers. Also some folks have been using gemini and it has some built in cloud options.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnee View Post
    Ok, so while I would have gotten a TP over iPad anyways, the lure of the 50gb of storage was a very nice carrot.

Problem is, I'm trying to figure out just what to use it for...

From what I have read in other threads and have figured out over the last couple days is that box.net is basically a swap space. Any file I want to interact with, first gets downloaded to my TP before opening. Or am I missing something here?

I tried the web interface thinking I could go there and view photos without having to download them, but no go... their page doesn't like the TP browser enough to let me open folders.

One of the things I was hoping to use this for was a sort of mobile photo album for all my photos... but I'm better off putting them in a folder on my own web host at this point.

There should be an easy enough way for the native app to view photos, and even actually stream mp3 files, have it as an option vs download and view.

So... am I missing something here?

How are others actually making use of box.net?

I agree. Would be nice to have synergy for photos and music, allowing us to open the native Photos & Videos app and Music app to view photos and listen to music.

Unfortunately Box.net is geared toward enterprise use and not consumers using a TP. I don't think this functionality fits in with their organizational strategy. So it will be an uphill battle for us to get this functionality implemented.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    I found dropbox to be more accessible. Box.net doesn't even have a 1st party desktop client for file syncs... You have to pay some 3rd party dev an unknown price for it.
    Agreed. The Box.net desktop usability makes it less than amazing.

I installed Tagle, which isn't as good as DropBox, but not bad. On the other hand, it also seems to be geared towards business and a for-pay model. My "trial" is still running strong, but I expect it to stop working any day. Tagle doesn't state a time frame for expiration, but I have an inherent distrust of any company that has absolutely zero pricing information available without giving them your contact information.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    I just mounted a box.net drive on my pc from the precentral article and its way better now. However, uploading is extremely slow. Box.net needs to get synergy going.

still for now I can copy and paste a folder and things are good =]
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I pay for 50gig on Dropbox, and see doing so for awhile. It's allowed me to sync my files between three computers effortlessly, being able to access them on my Pre and now TouchPad is bonus.

So yea, I haven't quite figured out just what I'll use box.net for at this point... maybe just another backup source or something.
    TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by theSavant View Post
    I agree. Would be nice to have synergy for photos and music, allowing us to open the native Photos & Videos app and Music app to view photos and listen to music.

Unfortunately Box.net is geared toward enterprise use and not consumers using a TP. I don't think this functionality fits in with their organizational strategy. So it will be an uphill battle for us to get this functionality implemented.
    This would be huge and set HP apart from everyone else or simply do what everyone else plans to offer. Apple, Google, and everyone in the tech space will offer Online Storage and access to documents, music, and video. I'd love native support in the Music/Video/Picture players connecting directory to Box.net. HP needs to make this happen and extend Synergy continuing that trend! Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    I just mounted a box.net drive on my pc from the precentral article and its way better now. However, uploading is extremely slow. Box.net needs to get synergy going.

still for now I can copy and paste a folder and things are good =]
    I have done the same thing and uploading appears to be quick. That is to say it gets to "5 seconds remaining" for a 600MB file and then seems to hang. So, I'm going to wait and see what happens. So far I've had to cancel the copy twice as it was taking quite a while. Going to try and ride this one out and see if it completes. Does this happen to you? Looks quick and gets to "5 seconds reamining?"
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    haha well mine says its going to take 1 day or whatever. The uploading is very very slow. throw the website is def fast. but this is more convinient. what i noticed is once i start to upload and decide to multitask u start to get errors.

if you just set it to upload, set it down and let it do its thing. come back an hour or two later things should be ok ...
    THANKS~!!
    Well, it just crapped out so it didn't actually copy the file over
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    did u leave the comp alone? when i say multitasking i mean like anything beyond moving the mouse cursor around scres up the transfer.

also besure the file ure uploading is less than 1g. anything above u have to pay for a business acount.
    THANKS~!!