Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GodShapedHole
  1.    #1  
    Screw it, I NEED DOCUMENT EDITING. I'm traveling a lot right now and taking my tablet with me as my sole device apart from my phone and using the memo app is extremely inefficient and tedious for my longer documents.

I do a lot of writing, 90% happens at my desk on my pc or on paper, the remaining 10% happens when I'm out and about and thats mainly what i got the touchpad for. I need easy cloud access for my documents, I need real text formatting, I need quick office to work. I do not want to have to lug around my aging (by that I mean really really old) 15.6 inch laptop just to get some stuff done. At the moment I dont need spreadsheets, I dont need powerpoint, I NEED word document support.

I want freedom from my desk while the suns out and the weathers nice. I want to be able to get an article or chapter done sitting outside in a lawn chair sipping a beer, or on the beach or in a park, or even at a restaurant enjoying a nice meal. The rains will come, I know they will, PLEASE give me document editing while I still WANT to get away from my desk.
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    you NEED all of that. Yet, you CHOSE the Touchpad?

Poor choice. I am not even a tablet guy and I know the TP does not have the doc editing you NEED.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    you NEED all of that. Yet, you CHOSE the Touchpad?

Poor choice. I am not even a tablet guy and I know the TP does not have the doc editing you NEED.
    I see what you mean, but come on: the guy has a point. We knew that there was no doc editing on webOS, but since February, the word has always been: doc editing to come at TouchPad launch. Then that got delayed.
    It's perfectly normal to buy a device if you're being promised something - and then it's perfectly normal to expect the manufacturer to keep that promise. Palm broke their promise of doc editing coming to the original Pre. It's fine to be disappointed, but Palm was super-strapped for money and didn't enjoy the best connections; you know how it is. If you're on top, people grovel at your feet. If you're at the bottom, people kick you in the head. Palm however is dead now, whether or not we want to forgive it its sins.

Now it's up to HP to keep THEIR promise. And HP is in a much better position to actually do it.

In all seriousness, it cannot be so difficult to just come up with a doc editing solution already. If push comes to shove, why doesn't HP just take the LibreOffice backend and write an Enyo frontend for it?

Of all the complaints we're seeing about the TouchPad, a lot are ridiculous (you can see fingerprints!), a number is reaching (it's as heavy as an iPad plus a slice of lunch meat!) and a few have been nothing short of frivolous (HP are evil for giving me a $50 voucher!). I agree that things aren't as bad as some people are making them out to be. Even the app situation isn't half bad; the TouchPad has only been out for a month and it already has more apps than Honeycomb does.

But webOS' total lack of a native DOCUMENT EDITING solution is really, seriously, unambiguously a pox on the platform that I'm hoping HP is quick to remedy, or at least quick to make a third-party partner create a remedy.

Meanwhile - OP, I have heard great things about Google Docs' performance on the TouchPad, and (if you're using it), Microsoft Office 365 should also work quite well. Those are, of course, only cloud-based workarounds and the lack of a native solution remains a very real problem - but they're workarounds that will enable you to edit your documents while away from your desk, which is just what you want.
    Herk_FE likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Sort of puzzled by the "all of that" portion of your post. Its 1 thing, its actually 1 part of one thing that I want.

I have a tenancy to disagree. The only thing lacking what now is document editing. Web, email and photos are really my only other fundamental needs for a mobile device, well and ofcourse the mobility of it hence the tablet and not a laptop.

And Quickoffice has been promised since the 9th so it is coming, I just need it yesterday type thing. Wouldnt be complaining if it hadnt been promised, wouldnt have gotten the TP then.

Edit: Google docs and office365 arent options sadly, need to be able to get stuff done when I'm away from wifi. Cloud is good and all but I do like my stuff a bit more down to earth.
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post

I have a tenancy to disagree...

...Edit: Google docs and office365 arent options sadly, need to be able to get stuff done when I'm away from wifi. Cloud is good and all but I do like my stuff a bit more down to earth.
    Did you mean 'tendancy' or 'tenacity' to disagree?

Onboard Doc editing is crucial, but cloud-based option is a 'patch' for the moment...like duct tape. Useful, but never as full-bodied a solution as a real solution wil be. Still, sitting on the back porch on a sunny day, sipping a mint julep or a Captain Morgan...the cloud is nice to have in a pinch...for a time.

BTW, that was a funny line...about the cloud and down to earth...Good one!
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 08/09/2011 at 08:19 AM.
    1) It appears that the 1 thing is very important to you. The ALL that refers to the need you have for this and the cloud, etc. What I meant was that you need it ALL...not just SOME of it. The one thing that is missing makes the rest pretty much moot for your most important use.

2) @GodShapedHole: Yes, HP "promised" it. Is there anyone still thinking it wise to spend half a thousand dollars based upon HP's "promise" of 'soon, you will get ____'?

Sorry. I just find it unimaginable that I would would do that. It is one thing to have the functionality and it be a little bit less than ideal. Then , waiting for an optimization update. It is quite another to not have the function at all and hope that it appears "soon"
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post

2) @GodShapedHole: Yes, HP "promised" it. Is there anyone still thinking it wise to spend half a thousand dollars based upon HP's "promise" of 'soon, you will get ____'?
    I have yet to see HP break a promise. They have their hands full so an update promised for July 31 landing on August 1 doesn't count as a broken promise for me. Neither does announcing something for "summer" that is probably going to arrive in August. Neither does 'making things right' with a discount and app vouchers (even if it's sad that once again, Europeans are treated as second-class citizens).

I reckon HP's track record is fairly good so far.
    All of that is provided by Google Docs on the web. You tried that?
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    All of that is provided by Google Docs on the web. You tried that?
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    Edit: Google docs and office365 arent options sadly, need to be able to get stuff done when I'm away from wifi. Cloud is good and all but I do like my stuff a bit more down to earth.
    (Maybe I should become a postman)
    I would recommend tapnote or podnote right now, cloud based storage. I know it doesn't have the formatting and that's the big issue.
    However, HP isn't providing Doc editing, QuickOffice is. Beat down the door and ask them when the update is coming, because this is ridiculous.