webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Anyone interested in a IP Security camera viewer app?
Anyone interested in a IP Security camera viewer app?
Like Tree33Likes

Old 01/30/2012, 03:51 AM   #121 (permalink)

I've just been tinkering with a PlayStation Eye cam attached to a Win 7 PC, and came across WebcamXP which is a free program that runs on the PC to which the webcam is connected. It has a built-in streaming function and if you put its streamer address into the TouchPad browser, bingo, there's the webcam video (hmm, haven't got audio working yet).

And double bingo - if you set WebcamXP to monitor an ip webcam, it serves that to the TouchPad equally happily.

This is on a home network, not beyond. Probably with a bit of port forwarding you could access it elsewhere.

A workaround, but not too much grief to make it work.
Ozpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: p41m3r
Old 02/10/2012, 12:49 PM   #122 (permalink)

Hey OP you ever going to work on this? looks like you got quite a few people willing to donate if you do...
aw9d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2012, 12:51 AM   #123 (permalink)

My understanding is that the built in TP browser cannot capture the video from an ip camera. However, there is some good news from a contributer in the following forum who has created a TP app for the Foscam. It looks good in the snapshot he uploaded and he hopes to tidy up the GUI and release the app soon.
Old 06/01/2012, 03:54 PM   #124 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baie0524 View Post
My understanding is that the built in TP browser cannot capture the video from an ip camera. However, there is some good news from a contributer in the following forum who has created a TP app for the Foscam. It looks good in the snapshot he uploaded and he hopes to tidy up the GUI and release the app soon.
I'd like to see that, but where is "...the following forum..."?
Semma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/2012, 08:50 PM   #125 (permalink)

Me too!
shanpalm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 09:50 PM   #126 (permalink)

so I know this thread is old but did anything happen wit this??just got a foscam ip camera as a baby monitor. Only thing is the site it uses doesn't load on the touchpad, would love have an actual app to use as a monitor.
bullonparade85#IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 05:43 PM   #127 (permalink)
Banned

It's been asked before, but no, nothing came of this. Too many cameras to take into account with their own access schemes, no MJPEG support (Motion JPEG, which many cameras use), and generally speaking nobody wanted to take on the task in any meaningful way...or there'd be an app out there for it by now.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 09:44 AM   #128 (permalink)

Most of the cameras require their own app to view the live video, either Java or ActiveX (IE only) or a custom app for the OS. Windows browsers can use the Java app, but tablets like the TP can't.

The best alternative I've found is that most of the IP cameras have a url that returns the current still image as a jpg (e.g., for my Foscam it is base url/snapshot.cgi and for my Trendnet it is base url/image.jpg).

The IP cameras also have a web api that allows you to move the camera by sending position numbers. You can't do that directly from the TP browser, but if you happen to have your own web host somewhere, you can use a simple PHP or CGI script to act as a proxy where you enter the position number into a web form in the TP browser and the PHP app sends it to the camera for you and then re-displays the still image.

For example, for my Trendnet IP camera I have this page on my web host:

(html)
(head)(/head)
(body TOPMARGIN="0" LEFTMARGIN="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0" MARGINWIDTH="0")
(IMG SRC="http://myhouse.dyndns.org:nnnn/IMAGE.JPG")
(form ACTION="http://myhouse.dyndns.org:nnnn/PANTILTCONTROL.CGI" METHOD=POST)
(LABEL for="PanTiltPresetPositionMove")Preset Position (0-24): (/LABEL)
(INPUT type="text" name="PanTiltPresetPositionMove")(BR)
(INPUT type="submit" name="mysubmit" value="Go to position")
(/form)
(/body)

angle brackets replaced by parentheses to evade html filtering
url changed to generic

Visiting this page on my web host produces a page with the current camera image and a prompt underneath "Preset Position (0-24): ___ " with a "Go to position" button beside it. I can enter a position number, click the button, and it moves to the new camera position and refreshes with a new image.

Last edited by Semma2; 12/03/2012 at 09:57 AM.
Semma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ArchonAdvisors likes this.
Thanked By: ArchonAdvisors
Old 12/03/2012, 09:58 AM   #129 (permalink)
Banned

All the Java/ActiveX components do is stream the sequence of JPGs or play back the MJPEG stream on basic IP cameras. I use Axis cameras exclusively (a 207MW in my case) and it has about 16 ways to skin that cat, like the MP4 stream I use to view mine at home. Cheaper cameras usually do not.

When you get to PTZ (Pan/Tilt/Zoom) cameras, that's when it gets a little hairier.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2013, 05:08 AM   #130 (permalink)

For what it's worth the tip to get the snapshot in the above post prompted me with a username and password page for my foscam. It has worked for viewing and ptz in mobile phone mode ever since. Thanks.
mindslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 10:43 AM   #131 (permalink)

To compliment Post #128 above, I've written a how-to for IP cameras that can directly output video instead of a still image. I currently use it with a few foscam units right now. I'll add another how-to later that will cover how to handle MJPG cameras, which is more complicated since webOS doesn't natively support that format.

How to: MP4/h.264 IP Camera Streaming to webOS devices
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/09/2013, 11:30 PM   #132 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kataran View Post
I have a webcam app...but always looking for something better
where?
jonnyblaze23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2013, 01:54 PM   #133 (permalink)

Is there an app for Palm Pre that will turn it into Security ip camera over wifi? I want to use old pre phone as remote video camera for surveillance. Android has apps for old android phone. Would like app for Pre as well to work with remote viewing apps on prostitution and Android and iPhone.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
rightguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: patapoof
Old 12/22/2013, 01:56 PM   #134 (permalink)

Typo in last post. Lol. Can't edit for some reason.

rightguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2014, 06:27 PM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightguy View Post
Is there an app for Palm Pre that will turn it into Security ip camera over wifi? I want to use old pre phone as remote video camera for surveillance. Android has apps for old android phone. Would like app for Pre as well to work with remote viewing apps on prostitution and Android and iPhone.

your speellingg correkter learnt wat u dinna wannit to... lol
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2014, 06:29 PM   #136 (permalink)

they are free on ifone,droid,m$ ...I wannit for my pre 3 & touchpad too !!
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0