Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    My Touchpad is mounted to my fridge, and I use it while I'm in the kitchen, listening to HiDef Radio or watching Podcasts on Video Flood HD. But what I'd really like to do is watch TV. I have a MythTV DVR system in my house, with multiple backends and front ends throughout the house. What I'd like is an app on the TP that lets me watch both recorded and new shows by connecting to my backend.

There's a python-based FE for XBMC and Boxee that works pretty well, and there are clients for Windows, Linux and Mac. There's even a way to shoehorn a frontend onto an iPad by jailbreaking it and installing XBMC. Well, I want one on my TouchPad and I'm willing to pay.

My recordings are all 1080i or 720p H.264 videos (Can't remember if it's mpeg-2 or mpeg-4) recorded via my HD-PVR. If somebody can put together an app that lets me view a program guide, recorded programs, and play back both recordings and live tv, I will paypal them $500.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerkyChew View Post
    My Touchpad is mounted to my fridge...
    Pics, or it didn't happen.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    This should work inline, I hope...

And yes, that's about 6 dollars worth of plastic hooks holding up a $599 TouchPad.
    Looks great! Thank you.
    hulu.com is a good source for TV
    lol, that's a great setup.
    what app do you use to watch video podcast? I have drpodder but it would appear its not formatted for the touchpad.
    Last edited by etphoto; 08/06/2011 at 07:31 PM.
    Watch Internet Videos on Your TV | PlayOn

If you use that service it can index your video files and then stream them through the mobile link.
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    what app do you use to what video podcast? I have drpodder but it would appear its not formatted for the touchpad.
    Video Flood HD is in the app catalog.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Watch Internet Videos on Your TV | PlayOn

If you use that service it can index your video files and then stream them through the mobile link.
    Agree with playon, has streamed media from my pc including TS, xvid, TP and mpeg files to my TP. Great software and I think the free version allows streaming.
    I am NOT doing that to my 2000+ fridge (I went for the nice black samsung), getting ready to paint my cabinets and thinking about putting a mount on the front of the cabinet or one of those old skool pull down recipe book holders that stashes away under the cabinet (has articulated arms).

I really need to figure something out, I am not getting the full use out of "touchy" (yes we have named our touchpad).

Anyways I have heard playon is good, lots of people using various solutions. You can also use kalemsoft (see the thread in the app subforums). Also for me (haven't set this up yet) my HTPC software (GBPVR) does have a setup for browsing over the internet. Sadly I have been busy and lazy and haven't setup anything... my media needs need a lil over hall, but I have read many threads on setups.

Also in one of the threads, someone was streaming straight from the HTPC capture card using Kalemsoft. I believe it was a Hauppauge card.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Its not the same. If you have your TV running through mythTV, and a heap of recordings all organised in MythTV, then that's what you want to use on your TP.

I totally get it.

I'd also pay for a Mythtv frontend.
    JerkyChew have you tried MythWeb? It can do everything you mentioned - you have to enable Flash video playback in the configuration to watch recordings and live tv, though.

Also, I think you have to be running version .24.1+fixes or wait for .25 of MythTV for a version of the embedded Flash player included in MythTV that works with Flash on the TouchPad.

The developer of WebMyth, which is an app to control MythTV from a webOS device, told me he has Flash playback working on his MythTV setup, through his TouchPad and browser.

Playback on my TouchPad doesn't work with my slightly-older version of MythTV, though.
    For you Myth TV guys, are any of you running windows boxes? Have any of you tried GBPVR? Just curious because I have read a lot about buggy Myth operations, been running GBPVR for almost 2 years now (old HP Win XP box converted to HTPC). Just curious, because I am about to repurpose a crashed HP Win box into a media portal for our bedroom running linux only (don't have a legit Win distro as the backup partition also crashed). Just looking at all options and with the TP, 2 Veers and 2 Pre's running on wifi only, wouldn't mind having content and control thru the whole house.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by JerkyChew View Post
    This should work inline, I hope...

And yes, that's about 6 dollars worth of plastic hooks holding up a $599 TouchPad.
    Lol dude I wouldn't trust those plastic holders.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    At least get some double sided tape or maybe some velcro xD
    I am not sure if there will ever be a way to play lively on the touchpad since you would need to transcode it all in realtime, but for recordings you can convert to a playable mp4 file and stream or download to the touchpad. I have a job set to create a mp4 file after every recording, and you could manually run the job on all old recordings. mythHandbrake - webmyth - **OPTIONAL** Script file to transcode recordings for downlading and streaming - A webOS app for remote control of MythTV frontend - Google Project Hosting . And a cron job to remove the mp4 if the program is gone. mp4purge - webmyth - **OPTIONAL** Script to remove old transcoded files after recording is deleted - A webOS app for remote control of MythTV frontend - Google Project Hosting there are a few more details on my wiki page DownloadAndStreaming - webmyth - How to setup streaming recordings to your phone. - A webOS app for remote control of MythTV frontend - Google Project Hosting

the files are then accessible through my apps WebMyth 1 and 2. Or just add .mp4 to the direct link to the file in mythweb.
    fishiazza and George Mari like this.
    in case anyone is having trouble trying to use the regular mythweb's flash playback, it seems like the website needs to not have password protection. i have my apache system setup to not requite passwords for local IP address (192.168.1.0/24) but require the password for remote connections.
    Lol I would have pillows mounted to the floor in front of that tp
    sent from my thunderbolt
    I would second having a MythFE.

Also... XBMC python FE works....? Care to share some info on that? I had been monitoring this XBMC thread (would love to see the iOS version ported to webOS) but haven't seen any movement so far.
    Port XBMC to TouchPad (webos) - XBMC Community Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast