1.    #1  
    If there a way with Maps or another Map app that allows you to save or have maps of specific areas when you are not connected to WiFi?

My wife is traveling and taking my TouchPad with her and the only thing I need to figure out for her is how to have maps of the area.

Now I could do a workaround where she knows to find the area on Maps when she is at the hotel and do a screen capture and bring that up via the Photo App, but if there is a simpler way, I'd prefer to teach her that.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I agree but I think that the map data is not stored locally on the TPad. Wifi is needed to connect to the Bing servers with this map and satellite data.
    I would like the maker of BFGMaps for the Pre to make an app for the TouchPad that can cache the maps for offline use.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    In addition to NDrive, you can use Navit.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Look here for a $2 app, not exactly what you want but might be a quick fix for now.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3055551
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Look here for a $2 app, not exactly what you want but might be a quick fix for now.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3055551
    Will check it out.

Yes, it has to be easy for the wife to use it. And I do mean EASY!
    Sounds like a job for Navit as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by toy4x4 View Post
    Will check it out.

Yes, it has to be easy for the wife to use it. And I do mean EASY!

I feel you on that... =D
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 08/05/2011 at 12:16 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  9.    #9  
    I am thinking the screen capture idea is best for her. Get your map and screen cap it.

This is a limitation with all our devices here cause we are cheap.... We have a pay as you go cell phone, WiFi only TP and iPod Touch, etc,etc,etc. I avoid cell plans because we don't use them that often...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Sounds like a job for Navit as well.
    So I went to Preware and grabbed Navit. It installed the speech plugin and a couple local plugins. I get part of the screen when Navit launches but it does not look usable.

I need to go find the navit forums and read up on it.
    I'm interested too, hopefully somebody will create an app or a patch.

Something like Brut maps for Android or Offline maps for iPhone.
    I'm in this group too. I plan to go on a road trip next spring and I'd like to use my Touchpad for maps.
    So I went to Preware and grabbed Navit. It installed the speech plugin and a couple local plugins. I get part of the screen when Navit launches but it does not look usable.

I need to go find the navit forums and read up on it.
    I did the same...it seems to be missing maps as it shows the menu and everything except where the map should be it is blank. Does anyone know how to properly install Navit on the Touchpad? Of course, it was designed for the Pre, so how would it work on the Touchpad that does not have a built in gps? I guess it would just be used as a reference map? With no turn by turn directions?
    Check MapTool. The TouchPad version is still under development but will come out soon according to the developer.

Currently, it will look like this on the TouchPad:

Here is the description from the app's page (phone version):

No with offline routing! HotAppWinner: Displays maps, displays gpx tracks, displays 'where to go', sends your position, logs tracks and more in just one free app: * Display maps from the free OpenStreetMap community project on your device. * Track your way as gpx and show stored tracks on the map. * Show targets and geocaches (from Geocaching for WebOS, from loc files, from TravelGuide) on the map. * Import/Export targets as GPX, KML & LOC files and tracks as GPX & KML files. * Have a build-in sun compass. * Send you current location by EMail or message. the format is compatible with Crea la mappa del tuo viaggio inviando degli SMS. * Send tracks as GPX by EMail. * Save tracks as GPX locally * Use offline maps to avoid data access. check the support page for more infos. This App is also available as Pro version, with automatic offline-map download, Flickr- and Panoramio-On-Map feature This update brings: * show all targets on map * better track display
    try this wiki:
    Application:Navit - WebOS Internals

Yes it's pre app but it's PDK one, so it's not so dependant on screen size. I use it on my pre- and really like it. They are working on a code to tether over blue tooth the GPS info. MethaView dev did it with his mapping tool app, which by the way my serve as the OP is looking for. There is a way to load all kind of maps on this map and have your pick -google,bing, yahoo.
    speaking of maps, has anyone tried to use the google maps apk from the phones on the touchpad
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    speaking of maps, has anyone tried to use the google maps apk from the phones on the touchpad
    If you want Google maps, you can add the website to the launcher. You get a working mobile view. It lacks multitouch zooming, though.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I'd love to see an offline maps program that works with georeferenced image files. I've been using OziExplorer on my PC and OziExplorerCE on my WinCE based GPS to display nautical and aviation charts and would love to use my touchpad for the same.
    I think MapTool is what you want. Not sure by your language though.
    If there a way with Maps or another Map app that allows you to save or have maps of specific areas when you are not connected to WiFi?

My wife is traveling and taking my TouchPad with her and the only thing I need to figure out for her is how to have maps of the area.

Now I could do a workaround where she knows to find the area on Maps when she is at the hotel and do a screen capture and bring that up via the Photo App, but if there is a simpler way, I'd prefer to teach her that.

Well, "simple" is relative, but I think the app you want is Maptool (pro) which you can download from the app store, and also JTileDownloader, which you can download onto your home computer. The program lets you find what areas you'd like a map of. (which are called tiles) You have to download tiles for every level of zoom you want to be able to see the map of. Mostly, I've been downloading levels 13 to 16 (this will make sense once you fidget around with it.) Then you transfer those folders into your .Maptool folder in your touchpad, and you're good to go. Even without a gps signal, you can use the map wherever you go.