Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    I love HP! After two years of the struggle with geo restrictions on webOS phones I have found a method to buy an apps for my beloved TP even in unsupported country (I think it can be done in any of them) Now I can support webOS developers with my cash

2.    #2  
    Prepaid US Gift card (Visa).
  3.    #3  
    If anybody interested I can post a small how-to.
    I've been using prepaid US gift cards from Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards to purchase app catalog apps for over two years now (I'm on my 4th card at the moment) ... you can find this stated on many threads here on PreCentral and many tweets too.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    If anybody interested I can post a small how-to.
    I'm interested, too.

And more: there is some way to I buy some gift card using Paypal?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Interested... Please Post
    Devices

-WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
    Hi
    I'm interested too.
    Thank you,
    Gabriel
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I'm interested!
    Ok.

First of all English is not my mother language, so forgive me all my errors

The main term: the first time you start the HP App Catalog app, select "United States" in counties list. It's necessary because this method requires the use of American bank card. Furthermore we know that most developers create their applications primarily for the U.S. market.

If you choose a different (unsupported) country, you do not see the paid applications. May be it's possible to change the regional settings by using homebrew applications like Impostah, but I know only one way - you have to create a new profile from scratch. Sad.

But do not hurry to do it, because you will also need to have a bank card. I found and tried several virtual prepaid cards, but only succeeded with one of them. The main obstacle lies in the fact that for security reasons HP thoroughly tests your billing information. So gift cards which are not tied to an address in the U.S. will not accepted.

I found this site Virtual Visa Liberty Reserve Prepaid Gift Card (affiliate link, you can clear it if you want), which offers instant card issued by a U.S. bank with the possibility of further binding to the U.S. address. You can use any other such site, even in your country. To pay for the card, I used an online payment system WebMoney, which allows you to make purchases without using your bank card. WebMoney available in more than 50 "unsupported" countries, an electronic wallet can be funded in different ways, in some countries even with 0% commission.

After payment you will instantly get a card number, CVV code and expiration date.

After that, I entered the data on this card and any address in the United States in the menu Preferences & Accounts in application HP App Catalog and tried to buy the application. But I always get an error PMT03024. Then I went to v-pay.biz&page=card_register and registered card with U.S. address, after that the purchase was successful! I later learned that the address should be chosen in Florida, because you will not pay the tax after purchasing of the program. Here, perhaps, all.

If you have any questions - ask, I'll try to answer.
    Last edited by Pilotovef; 08/04/2011 at 12:59 PM.
    Jive Turkey likes this.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I've been using prepaid US gift cards from Simon Malls - Shopping Malls, Mall Stores, Gift Cards to purchase app catalog apps for over two years now (I'm on my 4th card at the moment) ... you can find this stated on many threads here on PreCentral and many tweets too.

-- Rod
    Dear Rod,

Excuse me for my ignorance, but does Simon Malls send their giftcards outside the United States? And can pay for it by credit card emitted by foreign bank? ) The fact of the matter is that all my attempts use their service ended without results.
  10.    #10  
    Ok just to get it straight: you used a random US address to register the credit card?

And can you download the Movie Store and view movies?
    Yes. I can download it. But I don't want to spend my money trying to rent an movie which is useless for me
    Ok just to get it straight: you used a random US address to register the credit card?

And can you download the Movie Store and view movies?
    I have, supposedly, full access to the US app catalog and I am registered with a US address and US credit card. But even then, I only see 'eight' rather old movies listed in the Movie store. Ofcourse I have not been tempted by any of them to try and buy them to see if that works. I think the access to the Movie store has a different type of geo restriction, rather than the one linked to the app catalog.

PS: I believe Rod, had tweeted about being able to download some $1.99 movie from the 'movie store'. Now only if all of us had some of the 'Rod' magic to get the movie store working outside the US.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 08/04/2011 at 05:24 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
    Yes. I can download it.But I don't want to spend my money trying to rent an movie which is useless for me
    Now that is surprsing. Are you really able to see all the movies listed in the Movie store and available for purchase?
    Last edited by Sanjay; 08/04/2011 at 05:21 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
    Dear Rod,

Excuse me for my ignorance, but does Simon Malls send their giftcards outside the United States? And can pay for it by credit card emitted by foreign bank? ) The fact of the matter is that all my attempts use their service ended without results.
    You have new unique information in your latest post. Thanks for posting it.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I used to see the US paid apps in the app catalog as I activated my TP with USA as the country. But unfortunately, I asked (I really don't know why!) to update my webOS profile with my real country, Switzerland. The result is I can no longer see the paid apps.
    So, I guess I can't buy apps with the method given in this thread. Could someone please confirm it? Thanks.
  15.    #15  
    And the address?
    Yes, any address.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Now that is surprsing. Are you really able to see all the movies listed in the Movie store and available for purchase?
    No. I only see few movies. But successfully registered my credit card and can rent/purchase a movie.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    looking at the virtual visa website it cost a extra 8.95 plus1.95 to registier a $20 card, so 20 bucks worth of apps costs $31
    Quote Originally Posted by boyblueeye View Post
    looking at the virtual visa website it cost a extra 8.95 plus1.95 to registier a $20 card, so 20 bucks worth of apps costs $31
    If you have someone in the US who can purchase a Simon Malls card, there are no charges whatsoever, unless you don't use it for 12 consecutive months.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    How can I change the App Store country without deleting doing a new WebOs Profile? Any Ideas?
    Devices

-WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
    Quote Originally Posted by de_great View Post
    How can I change the App Store country without deleting doing a new WebOs Profile? Any Ideas?
    I don't believe you can. In fact I'm pretty sure that once you select the App Store country for a particular device, that settings stays with that device no matter what profile is used on it.

-- Rod
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast