Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Are there any other alternative to the usunlocked?
    Don't understand what ID-information usunlocked wants?

Incredible that HP is this stupid forcing billingcountry this way...
    Last edited by ElecTriXx; 09/03/2011 at 01:24 PM.
    I just used usunlocked.com, they charge 10$ to set the card up, and someone wrote 5% commission. I haven't confirmed the commission yet.

Worked out nicely, took a day for them to verify my scanned ID and set up the card.
    First app I bought was of course the HB documentation.
    FischOderAal and phil71 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riyaah View Post
    I just used usunlocked.com, they charge 10$ to set the card up, and someone wrote 5% commission. I haven't confirmed the commission yet.

Worked out nicely, took a day for them to verify my scanned ID and set up the card.
    First app I bought was of course the HB documentation.
    Heheh Kul att du också är från Sverige :-P Tack för ditt svar! Du bara scannade in ditt vanliga Id och skickade bilden till dem?

Anybody know of a UK equivilant to USunlocked but for the UK (duh)?
    Ja, de ville ha en "utility bill" också, så jag la mitt körkort ovanpå senaste hyresavin, fotade och laddade upp. I Pre 3-forumet finns också en del svenskar, kul när ingen webOS-produkt någonsin släppts i Sverige.
    Chrusse likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riyaah View Post
    Ja, de ville ha en "utility bill" också, så jag la mitt körkort ovanpå senaste hyresavin, fotade och laddade upp. I Pre 3-forumet finns också en del svenskar, kul när ingen webOS-produkt någonsin släppts i Sverige.
    Ah! Jag googlade lite på det och hittade att någon frågat det tidigare.. La mitt ID på en räkning jag hade hemma och tog ett högupplöst kort på det och laddade upp.

Ivrig att få köpa lite apps nu! Lite märkligt att HP inte släppt det ändå? HP är/var väl relativt stora i Sverige inom datorer så..?

Har de någon regel om att man måste skriva på engelska bara i detta forum? Vill inte få en varning när jag precis är nyregistrerad
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Hello everyone,
    I'd be grateful if someone could clear out the following doubts I have...
    1) If I register in the app Catalog with the country as India, I wouldn't be able to download apps at all Or I would, but only the free apps?
    2) If I register with the country as USA, do I necessarily need to use an american card with american address?
    3) What exactly does 'Impostah' do?

Please enlighten me since I'm completely new to WebOS, infact i'm yet to recieve my touchpad and I'm slightly worried about this geo-lock thingy (which I wasn't aware of till today) .
    Thanks
    Raj
    Quote Originally Posted by rajstruck View Post
    1) If I register in the app Catalog with the country as India, I wouldn't be able to download apps at all Or I would, but only the free apps?
    Since there is no 'app catalog' specific to India and since India is not an official launch country, my guess is, actually quite certain, that you will not have access to any app catalog if you chose to register with India as the country. Therefore no paid apps or even free apps.
    My suggestion is that you chose US as your country to register. This way you will have access to the US app catalog and thus you will be able to get atleast the free apps even if you don't have a US credit card.

2) If I register with the country as USA, do I necessarily need to use an american card with american address?
    You do not need any credit card or address to simply register. You will need a credit card only if and when you wish to purchase an app or use any promo code to download a paid app.

3) What exactly does 'Impostah' do?
    'Impostah' is a tool developed by 'webOS Internals' that enables you to, amongst many other things, register a webOS device to the 'app catalog' of any other country than the one you are in, without physically being present in that country. Ofcourse you are limited to the countries that do actually have an 'app catalog'. Which are now:
    1. United States
    2. United Kingsom
    3. Australia
    4. Canada
    5. France
    6. Germany
    7. Spain

PS: Am I missing any country? Shouldn't there be an 'app catalog' for Mexico & Singapore too?

I'm slightly worried about this geo-lock thingy (which I wasn't aware of till today).
    Well, it's a good thing that you did find out in time. For, this "geo-lock thingy" is kinda irreversible and your are generally stuck with whatever choices you make, the very first time you register. Although, there are reports of things maybe being different with the TouchPad from what they are with the webOS phones. But I think it does not hurt to be careful and not take chances, specially with 'Impostah' there to help.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thanks Sanjay...
    Couldn't have hoped for a more detailed reply. Now I have a better grasp of what to do when the TP arrives. I'm definitely registering with US as the country, and if/when needed I'll use usunlocked for purchasing apps.
    Now one more query:
    I need to install 'Impostah' before I register with the app catalog, right?
    Thanks Sanjay...
    Couldn't have hoped for a more detailed reply. Now I have a better grasp of what to do when the TP arrives. I'm definitely registering with US as the country, and if/when needed I'll use usunlocked for purchasing apps.
    Now one more query:
    I need to install 'Impostah' before I register with the app catalog, right?
    Silly me! Yes, ofcourse you would need to have 'Impostah' installed before registering/logging in. Follow the instructions from the 'opening post' very carefully, in the thread linked here -> Global Paid App Catalog Access for new unlocked GSM Pre 2/Pre 3/Veer (using Impostah)

PS: I believe there might be some differencs in how the geo-restrictions for the 'app catalog' work on the Touchpad. But I am sure that it will not hurt to follow the method and instructions in this thread, which ore originally mean't for the Pre 2/Pre 3/Veer. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in soon enough.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 09/06/2011 at 05:00 AM.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thanks a ton...
    But I'm still unsure as to where would I download 'Impostah' from?
    I'm using my windows laptop currently and can't find impostah online. (Or i'll be able to find it once I have preware on my Touchpad?) Please help !!!
    Thanks a ton...
    I'm using my windows laptop currently and can't find impostah online. (Or i'll be able to find it once I have preware on my Touchpad?) Please help !!!http://cdn-forums.precentral.net/ima...ons/icon11.gif
    You download impostah through Preware Install Preware, open it and go to Applications or search for "Impostah" and it will come up!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thanks Electrixx,
    Now I think I'm armed with what I need to know to get started with the HP touchpad...
    Install webos quick installer (activate Dev mode etc) -> Download,install Preware -> Install Impostah -> Register with country as US in the app catalog

Thats the bare minimum I gotta do from what I've gathered. right? Did I miss anything?

Also I read that the stock quickOffice surprisingly doesn't let you edit docs/sheets/ppt etc. So is there a way around it?
    Thanks Electrixx,
    Now I think I'm armed with what I need to know to get started with the HP touchpad...
    Install webos quick installer (activate Dev mode etc) -> Download,install Preware -> Install Impostah -> Register with country as US in the app catalog

Thats the bare minimum I gotta do from what I've gathered. right? Did I miss anything?

Also I read that the stock quickOffice surprisingly doesn't let you edit docs/sheets/ppt etc. So is there a way around it?
    In my case I only needed Impostah to register another App-country AFTER I did the inital country-selection in the Apps Catalog-app.

So if you haven't selected a country in App-catalog you can choose United States.

At least I can with my TP..
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTriXx View Post
    In my case I only needed Impostah to register another App-country AFTER I did the inital country-selection in the Apps Catalog-app.

So if you haven't selected a country in App-catalog you can choose United States.

At least I can with my TP..
    I haven't had my touchpad delivered to me yet... I just don't wanna do anything wrong with it and so I'm playing safe by figuring everything out beforehand .

Should recieve the touchpad anytime this week..
    I haven't had my touchpad delivered to me yet... I just don't wanna do anything wrong with it and so I'm playing safe by figuring everything out beforehand .

Should recieve the touchpad anytime this week..
    The first thing you should try is to register US in the App Catalog the regular way first without Impostah, if that fails you can continue with Impostah.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTriXx View Post
    The first thing you should try is to register US in the App Catalog the regular way first without Impostah, if that fails you can continue with Impostah.
    Oh ok. So I can register US in the App Catalog in spite of having an Indian IP address?
    Oh ok. So I can register US in the App Catalog in spite of having an Indian IP address?
    I did not have any problems with my swedish IP, I could choose any country I wanted (US, UK, anything!). I thought it was normal?
    Thanks a ton...
    I'm using my windows laptop currently and can't find impostah online. (Or i'll be able to find it once I have preware on my Touchpad?) Please help !!!
    The link I provided in my previous post has all directions and links for everything that you need. LINK -> Global Paid App Catalog Access for new unlocked GSM Pre 2/Pre 3/Veer (using Impostah)

Thanks Electrixx,

Actually based on some reports, it seems that the activation process on the TouchPad works differently from the Phones. Supposedly on the Touchpad you can choose to register with any country you wish, irrespective of where you physically are registering from. Therefore you can effectively register with the 'US' as your country and thus have access to the 'US App catalog'. This information seems to be correct and confirmed by several people on the forum, but I personally cannot vouch for it. You could simply start the Touchpad and activate without jumping through all the hoops with Preware and Impostah or you could play it doubly safe and follow the directions provided in the linked thread.

This was only true till about Ten days ago. As of right now, after the update to QuickOffice, which is now 'QuickOffice HD', the TouchPad has the ability to edit/save word docs and excel spreadsheets. Power Point files are not yet editable, but that too is due in a forthcoming update.

EDIT: Someone has just posted that they received a new update for QuickOffice today. This is a newer update than the one that added word/excel editing. No idea what this update does or if this is even true.
    -> new quick office update tonight.

Yes, it seems that for the TouchPad there are no Geo-restrictions. Atleast none that prevent you from choosing the country you wish to register with. The restrictions are limited to after you have chosen the country for the app catalog. In any case, the geo-restrictions were never determined by the IP address even on the phones. The geo-restrictions were determined by the SIM used to activate. Thus if you used a Vodafone SIM in India to activate, then you would be restricted to NO app catalog since there is no app catalog for India. But presumably, since the current Touchpad does not have a SIM, this does nto apply.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 09/06/2011 at 03:42 PM.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thanks Sanjay. That was really helpful. Since there's no harm in using Impostah, I'll just play safe and use it.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I don't believe this to be true. I registered everything with Germany. But the app catalog only showed 4 countries. Like Pakistan and some other ones, and my Country, Austria which I chose, and now I only have free apps I couldn't choose Germany.... so there must be an initial IP thing involved. Dunno how to fix it
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast