1.    #1  
    Hi all. I've just set-up OpenVPN (from preware) on my touchpad and it works wondefully. I'm really happy on what I've just achieved

I lurked into the upstart script though, and I didn't find a place to put my credentials, since I use username and password to login to my VPN.

If I want OpenVPN to login to my configured VPN on startup with my crendentials , how do I do ? Do I have to put them somewhere, or will I have to login manually at each boot ?

thanks
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Its great that openvpn works, apart from that I dont know about your questions but dont want to start a new thread.

does anyone have a good vpn for the uk or the us? Free is preferable but I would consider paying for one if its worthwhile
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    i think you have to add
    Code:
    auth-user-pass [location of credentials file]
    to the config file
    on the credentials file you add the username on the first line and password on the second
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    Its great that openvpn works, apart from that I dont know about your questions but dont want to start a new thread.

does anyone have a good vpn for the uk or the us? Free is preferable but I would consider paying for one if its worthwhile
    look for hide my *** on google. Not free but worth your pennies. If you subscribe and encounter difficulties of any kind, you can live chat with a tech guy. They're very responsive and cordial. Hope that helps.

@moris: thanks pal, I'll try that then and tell if it works.
    Grasshopper,

how are you invoking the start script? From what I've read, it seems there is no shell/terminal app available on preware that works on the touchpad?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by walk_n_wind View Post
    Grasshopper,

how are you invoking the start script? From what I've read, it seems there is no shell/terminal app available on preware that works on the touchpad?
    Yes there are

Install Xecutah, then Xserver and finally Xterm. Then launch them in that order from Xecutah.

There you are, you have a working terminal for your webos
    @grasshoper: did you managed to configure the upstart script?
    What kind of a phone was this made on?
    Currently I'm unsuccessfully trying to convince my Pre3 that it should start the optware cron after restart.
    My Pre3 has webOS 2.2.4 on it, and I don't know if it is normal, but the upstart crond config file is there in the /etc/event.d directory, but the executable itself is missing. So I installed the optware cron and tried to change the config file to use this one, but no result.
  8.    #8  
    @Tylla: Sorry but it's been 2 years already. I don't remember how I did my setup. It was on a touchpad though, and as far as I can remember the OpenVPN optware installed everything I needed, I just had to figure out how it worked.

Anyway, are you sure the upstart script need cron at all ? It seems that it's just autostart scripts that run once the device has booted. Are you sure you have all the (optional) dependencies for openvpn installed ?
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    @Tylla: Sorry but it's been 2 years already. I don't remember how I did my setup. It was on a touchpad though, and as far as I can remember the OpenVPN optware installed everything I needed, I just had to figure out how it worked.

Anyway, are you sure the upstart script need cron at all ? It seems that it's just autostart scripts that run once the device has booted. Are you sure you have all the (optional) dependencies for openvpn installed ?
    @grasshoper: I know, I know, resurrecting an old thread

Actually I wasn't actually after starting OpenVPN, morelike having a working cron.
    I made a custom backup script that should run daily to SCP my saverestore directory to one or more of my servers. And this part works, if I start manually the cron, than everything is OK, but after phone restart I have to remember to start cron again, otherways my backups just stay there on the phone.

Nevertheless if you have any thoughts that might bring me further...